I call BS, what say you?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Note to mods, this is partially a Packer thread, partially another team thread, wasn't sure where to post it)

I'm seeing that it's Tom Brady's birthday today, and he's being called "the GOAT". I call BS! Yes he has 5 Superbowl (NFL Championships) in his career, and his wins have come over a 15 year span. Our guy Bart Starr won his 5 Championships in a 7 year period from 1961-1967. Bart is the GOAT here, not Tommy. And I get what Patriot fans are saying 'hey Tommy has won superbowls, Bart didn't because of the merger'. To me it's the same game. We don't punish their Redsox or other teams who have won World Series rings after the expansion of not only MLB but of the playoff system. Bart is the GOAT, Pats fans need to fall in line!

Ok Packer fans, what say you?

Reaction score
honestly? I say this conversation got boring a long, long time ago. Not meant as a dig at you, I just can't get worked up over it anymore. Need football, offseason tooooo looooonngg

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lot of what ifs. like what if rod had a better D. tommy boy deserves the rings. will not take that away from him. bart is another great QB.

anyway, I agree with Candidate that football needs to get her a88 here right now. it's been too long a wait.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pfft, Jeff Janis is the real GOAT.

Will the real slim Janis please stand up,
please stand up, please stand up!

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does there have to be a GOAT in a team sport ? Things can then start to really get hard to compare because in a team sport they will have to rely on other men to carry their weight too. Tom is a great QB and no one can argue that. He's in the right place in the right time. Maybe if he played in another era or team things would be different.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't care about the term GOAT a lot but there's no denying Brady has been the most successful quarterback of his era.

Reaction score
I don't wanna split hairs, but isn't "GOAT" a single player designation? Some have labeled it "best QB" so that'd be a positional race. While others immediately jump to the "team" record to defend the "GOAT" label.
Which is it???
You cant pick and choose to supply your argument. It's either one or none and the rules need to be clear to compare.

As far as single player..
Tom Brady has never won a Championship without help. This is a team sport and to mitigate the contributions of the Defensive squads he has played in unison with would be dishonorable at the least and ignorant of the statistical factual evidence at best. Again, Brady is a fine QB, but he never won a Championship with a Defense not ranked in the top 10 and the average defensive ranking for each year he won a SB held a 4.66 ranking AVERAGE out of 32 teams.
As an argument, the last time GB had a Defense ranked in the top 10 or better? 2010
Calling him the GOAT only makes me think he's the GLOAT.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The G.O.A.T. talk is off-season prattle in my opinion - unless you're a Pats fan on one of the national sites (PFT et al...), then you're sickening all year long.

A G.O.A.T. could only be seriously argued if the rules to the game remained static throughout "All Time". Dig the rap? Are ya hip? I suppose, there have been enough old guys like me who have said that QB's being protected ... receivers can't be touched ... defenders can't level QB's beyond a step and a half ... defenders can't "launch" ... biting and gouging of eyes outlawed ... etc etc etc ... makes the comparisons impossible. Fun to talk sh*t, but the whole notion just becomes an exercise in mental ************.

Today's athletes may be bigger, faster and better conditioned ... I don't think they're as dirty, nasty and downright mean as the old days. The old guys may not be able to keep up physically but would more than make up for it in "heart". As I like to say, "Age and chicanery will beat youth and talent everytime." So there you have it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I like to say, "Age and chicanery will beat youth and talent everytime." So there you have it.
I've heard it as "Age and treachery will beat youth and skill", but the point is the same.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Well he did win 5 Rings. Thats pretty impressive. Also considering he was like 7th round pick that no one expected him to be nearly this good.

Members online

Latest posts