I am so pissed off at Ted Thompson...

D

Deleted member 6794

Our 4th string team just can't win a championship

Well, unfortunately our first string team hasn't been able to win a championship for six consecutive seasons while having a generational talent at quarterback.

without the same gutting of the defense thru injury, I do not see this defense being worse next year.

Do you realize the Packers lost a single starter for the entire season last year???

The Pats had Bennett so that definitely helped. and Yet they had Blount to rely on.

It's the job of the general manager to provide depth to rely on. Belichick did it by adding Bennett and Blount while Thompson wasn't able to make up for Shields loss.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you realize the Packers lost a single starter for the entire season last year???
And I'm sure you realize that, based on the pecking order coming out of camp, the #4 CB and #3 safety got more snaps than the #1 & 2 cornerbacks for the season. #1 CB did not get through the first game. The #3 CB didn't get a snap in the NFCCG besides missing several midseason games plus parts of multiple others. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2016-snap-counts.htm The #2 CB also missed multiple games and played at a reduced rate in several others. Your adherence to the "but they were not on IR and available to play" mantra glosses over the actual health and effectiveness of these players.
Player Position Total Snaps Def Snaps Def Snap Pct ST Snaps ST Snap Pct
21-H.Clinton-Dix DB 1152 1031 99.9% 121 27.3%
42-M. Burnett DB 1038 948 91.9% 90 20.3%
36- L.Gunter DB 977 861 83.4% 116 26.2%
33-M. Hyde DB 1050 821 79.6% 229 51.7%
24-Q. Rollins DB 761 704 68.2% 57 12.9%
23-D. Randall DB 537 497 48.2% 40 9.0%
29-K. Brice DB 558 261 25.3% 297 67.0%
39-D. Goodson DB 245 182 17.6% 63 14.2%
37-S. Shields DB 69 62 6.0% 7 1.6%
25-M. Evans DB 234 18 1.7% 216 48.8%
28-J. Hawkins DB 100 8 0.8% 92 20.8%
20-M. Dorleant DB 50 5 0.5% 45 10.2%
37-C. Banjo DB 25 2 0.2% 23 5.2%
35-J. Whitehead DB 13 0 0.0% 13 2.9%
Chart from http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

D

Deleted member 6794

And I'm sure you realize that, based on the pecking order coming out of camp, the #4 CB and #3 safety got more snaps than the #1 & 2 cornerbacks for the season. #1 CB did not get through the first game. The #3 CB didn't get a snap in the NFCCG besides missing several midseason games plus parts of multiple others. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2016-snap-counts.htm The #2 CB also missed multiple games and played at a reduced rate in several others. Your adherence to the "but they were not on IR and available to play" mantra glosses over the actual health and effectiveness of these players.

Well, I surrender. The Packers defense solely struggled because of an unsurmountable number of injuries while all other teams were completely healthy during the playoffs. :rolleyes:

In my opinion using injuries aside of at quarterback as one of the main reasons for coming up short is a lame excuse.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How far back do you need to go to find when Ted let someone leave on the OL and it left a significant hole? Exclude injuries. 2005 maybe? I'll grant he got lucky the year Tretter was penciled in at center, got hurt, and Linsley bailed Ted out. Sitton, Tauscher, Clifton, Colledge, Spitz all had average or better starters immediately follow them. Wells replaced by Saturday maybe but actually EDS was the better player by then, just not given the chance. Marshall Newhouse was competent his first season then I don't know what went wrong. Bakh took a season but wasn't terrible his first one, just not special.

A. My whole post was in reply to a post of sarcastic hyperbole about the team sucking at every position and went like this
How about we give you the offense, as long as AR is taking the snaps. However, even there, we're looking at a significant OL hole and zero proven depth, along with no RB with a history. But, more to the point, who, on the other side, causes the opposition to stay awake nights?
The OLine was a small portion and I still maintain that the current options at RG and depth seem insufficient.

B. Granted, many holes have been filled over the years. I was certainly one of those who had great concerns at LG last year, and that doesn't seem to be a problem. If we look at tackle depth, I at least see a high/multiple draft choice available.

However, just because holes have been adequately filled doesn't mean they will be, this time. And you touch on some lucky/less-than-adequate replacements, which could happen this time. And, some of the examples are specifically the type to which I referred - when Tauscher went down in 2010, a #1 draft choice (Bulaga) was there. If you want, I'll go back over the rest of your examples and I'd be willing to bet there were as many fixes on the shelf as not.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The '#3 safety coming out of training camp' was also their best corner, so that's pretty misleading.

Shields was lost for the whole season, that much is true, but saying the '#4 CB' got so much playing time because of injuries ignores the fact that he got that much playing time because the #2 and #3 corners were really bad and ineffective, even when healthy. It wasn't all just injuries.

The Texans also needed significant snaps from their #4 training camp CB, his name was AJ Bouye. Let's stop pretending that we were forced to go with Gunter all year because we were just so decimated by injuries. We were forced to go with Gunter because Randall and Rollins didn't progress even close to as well as we'd hoped.

The injury excuses get tiresome, we seem to play that card annually when things go wrong. In 2015 we just couldn't get by without Jordy, then in 2016 we lost Shields and some other guys got banged up and we complain it was just too much to overcome.

At some point maybe we'll accept that every team deals with injuries to some degree and we're not just hopelessly snakebitten, and that maybe if we have sufficient quality depth and talent on the roster maybe we will be in a little better position to ride out the tough times.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is the first offseason in a long time when I have felt this much unease over the question marks at so many positions. In the past it seemed like it was only one or two positions where the Packers were looking to improve via FA, draft or development, TE and ILB come to mind as the most recent. As I look at the roster today, I see issues of either starting talent and/or depth at CB, OLB, DL, RB and OL.

Free agency this year took quite a bit of starting talent and depth away from the Packers, while leaving us with more question marks and youth at key positions. TT's response, sign 2 TE's and a cast off CB. While I applaud the TE signings, House probably won't address the #1 need at CB.

Not trying to be a chicken little here. I fully acknowledge that TT has the draft, other FA moves and 5-6 months to address these positions, but the talent pool to do so is getting shallower and my optimism for once again having to rely on young, inexperienced or marginal talent is running at an all time low.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'd say the ONLY way you can come back from a hole like that is to get lucky at the right times

Calling bull on this. They completely dominated from that point on. But let's not give credit because...it's a team you're biased against?
Luck is for the unprepared. And personally, I don't believe in it at all.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not trying to be a chicken little here

Call it like it is, bro. If the TT worshipers here don't like calling out the guy's shortcomings and the holes on this team, screw 'em.
If all they have in reply is 'chicken little' and the rest of their silly labels, screw 'em again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Call it like it is, bro. If the TT worshipers here don't like calling out the guy's shortcomings and the holes on this team, screw 'em.
If all they have in reply is 'chicken little' and the rest of their silly labels, screw 'em again.

My confidence in TT has been a slow rolling snowball effect for me. Too many failed draft picks layered on top of the inability to retain guys or hanging on to guys that never develop too long and when called upon, aren't that good. Couple that with TT's stubbornness towards using other methods to acquire enough talent from outside the organization and that snowball is getting bigger and rolling downhill faster. Lucky for TT, he drafted AR and AR is somehow able to slow that snowball down a bit, but I sense at some point, not even AR will save it from crashing, especially if he is standing on the sidelines in street clothes or just plain gives up.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling bull on this. They completely dominated from that point on. But let's not give credit because...it's a team you're biased against?
I actually love the Patriots. I've liked them since before they beat the greatest show on turf. I love BB, i think he's one of the greatest every in all of sports, not just the NFL. I love everything about Tom Brady, from the way he conducts himself on and off the field, to how he takes care of himself, to how he approaches the game and plays it.

I do not think they dominated anything in that game. There were more than a handful of those Brady passes that were not anything of beauty. There were a couple that should have just been INT's. I realize it's all woulda coulda shoulda, but come on, when you're toast and you toss a prayer that should be picked 9 times out of 10 and instead it ricochets a couple times and by the hand of God it doesn't touch the ground to be called a catch off the back of a body part to give them a chance to score more points, I don't call that domination. I call it good fortune.

Just like the year before I don't think they were lucky, I think they mostly controlled that game against the Seahawks. Thought they suffered a bit of the same disease we had playing them in that we were controlling it defensively for much of the game, moving the ball at will and then committing costly mistakes that kept them in the game in the end. Just like before that I think the Pats were extremely unlucky by some D-bag half whit QB tossing ducks that were being caught off the tops of helmets and now he has his name listed with the "elite" qb's of the league? He is a tenth of what his brother was and IMO has never been anything other than mildly average in the things he can do. Sure he's won, on the great plays of someone else.

Anyway, I definitely do not have an anti patriots or brady or bellichick bias.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A: The Patriots weren't prepared for the start of the game. Hense the deficit.

B: No where did I say they didn't earn it or deserve credit.

C: When you need the other team to shoot themselves in the foot during a point in the game to complete a comeback there's an element of luck.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Double the yards ,double the TOP, 93 plays to 46....maybe if the Pats don't constantly shoot themselves in the foot early on, we're talking about the biggest rout in SB history instead of the biggest comeback.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about a game that hits a little closer to home. When the Pack dissolved against Seattle. How does that rate?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about a game that hits a little closer to home. When the Pack dissolved against Seattle. How does that rate?

Still comes down to they made the plays, we didn't.
They won , we lost.
What I did like about that game is how the Packers beat them physically. Every time a guy needed help to the sideline, it was one of theirs, not ours.
Legion of Boom my ***.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
4th and 26 was like one quick punch to the gut, the NFCCG against Seattle felt like bamboo shoots being inserted one at a time under each fingernail.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I had to move out of Seattle after that game and now we're handcuffed by Ted Thompson. Don't know which is worse

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I had to move out of Seattle after that game and now we're handcuffed by Ted Thompson. Don't know which is worse

When thinking about the Seahawks and their fans, I much prefer this video. :coffee:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
As for us there should of been a "house cleaning" at least after the next season. Now there is the whole psychological thing to deal with and repetitive playoff failure along with Ted Thompson being too scared to put his foot on the gas.

And yet some people are just *** hum and lets do it again. Its mind blowing.

Staff online

Latest posts