I am shocked!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good Point HE on the signing vets with more in the tank than others think. Woodson and Peppers definitely fit that. Not sure what protocol is for TT with FA signings like that. But guessing he has a good read via film and interviews with an older vet FA, finding out just how much gas is left in that tank and if the player things so too.

The part of free agency that scares me is over paying and we see it all the time. Multiple teams, possibly more desperate then the Packers, with potentially bigger wallets driving the prices up. Every year I see FA's that I would love to see become a Packer, but then when I see what they were ultimately paid, I'm fine with TT passing. I think we all assume TT is somewhere on a desert island during the FA period, but I highly doubt that. He is just frugal (to a fault) hoping to find bargains like Woodson and Peppers and trying to steer clear of disasters.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the only way to win a Superbowl was to draft and develop and cross you fingers and pray that the majority of your players turn out to be pro bowlers.
Since TT won a Super Bowl with his strategy 5 years ago, I'm not sure about your point. Should the Broncos win multiple championships then your specific post might have merit. Otherwise it's just recent noise, within the last 15 minutes.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since TT won a Super Bowl with his strategy 5 years ago, I'm not sure about your point. Should the Broncos win multiple championships then your specific post might have merit. Otherwise it's just recent noise, within the last 15 minutes.

And the Ravens won it that way even more recently.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Want to point to moves that don't work for other teams, moves that set them back? Fine, although it's really another point and another argument- but talk about the teams that do it successfully, too.
But don't you have this backwards in this thread? The OP and others are advocating the Packers be more like teams that "do it successfully", the point that it doesn't always work out is of course part of this conversation, isn't it?
Also, had that turned out to be the move that brought home the Lombardi, I think it would have gotten more kudos.
But it should be recognized either way, right? Because at the time of the signing of any free agent, the outcome isn't known. And the complaint is Thompson doesn't use free agency enough. When he does, particularly with a significant signing IMO it should be recognized.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this merry go round :)

I'm sure if there was a ILB last year that they felt could have helped us in FA at a price that was worth it, he would have signed him. SPikes? or McClain? a suspension facing, jumping to multiple teams per year, twice retired , headcase player? Where do we sign up :)

I think they overestimated the jump our TE would take, but i can't blame them either. We were setting records practically every year on offense and this year didn't start out any differently. Quarless had been as productive as pretty much any TE available to us last year and Rodgers was 1 year into his switch from WR to TE at the pro level, had shown pretty good hands and was expected to improve. Then Quarless got hurt, and I'm not ready to say Rodgers didn't improve as a TE, but he certainly wasn't what we needed at the position with everything else failing around him as well on the offensive side of the ball.

I will never agree that Ted is a "do nothing" GM. I think he's one of the hardest working guys in the business and with a little luck, we'll be back in the big game again. The reasons we haven't been there recently aren't because we didn't have a good enough team assembled. If we sign some FA's this year it will be like all the others, Ted see's enough value in the money we'll have to spend to get them. It doesn't mean he won't sign anyone, and it doesn't mean we'll sign 10 of them either. If the value and player meet on 10 guys, then I"m guessing we will. If it doesn't meet on any and the reward isn't worth the risk, i'm sure we won't sign any. Either way, I think this team will be in it till the end again.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that a threat? :cautious: Are you saying that he has to admit to what you want "or else" you're move his thread?
Not at all..

But if it was really about the SB... Then technically he should have put it in other team area..

I truly don't care what he is doing.. But if it isn't about Ted why put it in packer area...

I can move if he wishes.. It is HIS thread.. He just has to tell me

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You are the mod, you are free to do whatever you like. And the comment was about the team that just won a super bowl by *gasp* signing a free agent or two or three or four.

If I wanted to dig on Ted I would flat out do it. But I don't because I like and respect what Ted has done for the Packers. The dig was for the people on this forum board who are to blind to see there are other options available.

But like so many on this board, you as well just assume I hate Ted or I am a favre lover because I make a negative comment about Rodgers (you have not done that just using it as an example). But it is all right, I am accustomed to it at this point.
I'm not calling u out or agreeing with you

Just pointing out what it seems to be..

Would you want me to move it?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL......saying this wasn't about TT with the OP? Of course it was.....but let me go ask my crazy uncle in the other room!

D

Deleted member 6794

and now they FINALLY have accomplished what Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers have done. Finally, after all those years and all that money, finally.

Well, the Broncos have had a franchise QB for only four years and have made it to the Super Bowl twice, winning one of them. On the other hand Thompson has won a title over 11 years with two elite QBs.

The part of free agency that scares me is over paying and we see it all the time. Multiple teams, possibly more desperate then the Packers, with potentially bigger wallets driving the prices up. Every year I see FA's that I would love to see become a Packer, but then when I see what they were ultimately paid, I'm fine with TT passing. I think we all assume TT is somewhere on a desert island during the FA period, but I highly doubt that. He is just frugal (to a fault) hoping to find bargains like Woodson and Peppers and trying to steer clear of disasters.

Overpaying when re-signing a team's own free agents isn't any better though asit doesn't make a difference regarding the cap. That's something Thompson has done several times. Just as an example, the money the Packers spent to re-sign Hawk and Brad Jonee would for sure have been better invested in bringing in a free agent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Overpaying when re-signing a team's own free agents isn't any better though asit doesn't make a difference regarding the cap. That's something Thompson has done several times. Just as an example, the money the Packers spent to re-sign Hawk and Brad Jonee would for sure have been better invested in bringing in a free agent.

Agreed. I view "FA signings" as those of our own that we sign as well. You would hope that TT has a better grasp as to value of his own and in most cases he seems to. But in the case of Hawk and definitely Jones his decision on each, after the fact, appeared to be made due to circumstances but probably deemed incorrect.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I bet we look into FA this year. MM's displeasure along with a few other things lead me to believe that we might. We are close and TT/MM know it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been close for quite a while. I believe that the changing equation is how much longer they think that'll be the case.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. I view "FA signings" as those of our own that we sign as well. You would hope that TT has a better grasp as to value of his own and in most cases he seems to. But in the case of Hawk and definitely Jones his decision on each, after the fact, appeared to be made due to circumstances but probably deemed incorrect.

Hawk's and especially Jones' contract look terrible at the time Thompson signed them to not after the fact.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks had a terrible season and they sign FAs. Therefore, signing FAs is a horrible idea. TT did sign Peppers and Guion as FAs and we still werent handed the lombardi.

I have researched the matter and what we need to do is sign and develop Jewish Eskimos from Cambodia who are Orphans and raised in Scotland (JUCOS). A team that uses this strategy has NEVER EVER lost a Superbowl!!!!

But of course TT refuses to upgrade the team and sign a single JECOS. Dont get me wrong, TT is good. He just doesnt use all the tools at his disposal, that is Edinburgh orphanage rosters.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doing nothing , however, does guarantee squat.

The Packers did won a SB in 2010. Your statement is false.
The point isn't how such ventures have turned out for other teams. The point is maximizing your teams chances to improve through the use of any and all means/tools to do so. Something Thompson has been clearly deficient at.
True.

But the question hinges on maximizing three limiting and finite resources.

Money. Easily understood regarding the salary cap.

Talent. There are only so many good players and 31 other teams competing for their services.

Time. A large outflow of $ now limits your opportunities in the future.

I don't like the win now mentality. I like keeping us very competitive for Rodgers entire career. It is usually that level of team the wins the SB

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here I thought that a major part of that was the signing of Woodson, which doesn't seem to be doing nothing.
Kind of. Before the 2010 season Woodson signed a contract extension so at that point he ceased being a UFA and joined the category of Thompson overpaying current Packers. ;)

Last edited:

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last four Super Bowl teams all did what TT refuses to do. They went out and used free agency and or trades to fill in the holes in the team that draft and develop leaves. While I think it's a bad policy to break the bank on big name free agents you HAVE to fill the holes on a team like the Packers have had with a couple of veteran free agents. It was unconsciousable that TT went into the season with such rancid talent at TE. Once Jordy went down the Packers couldn't adjust
Due to lack of talent.

Ahem. We signed Julius Peppers.

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather us be like the Atlanta Braves of the '90's and find ways into the playoffs each year and roll the dice in the post-season then gamble and try to win it all within one to three years and then settle into mediocrity. That is just me though.

Members online

Latest posts