I am shocked!

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the only way to win a Superbowl was to draft and develop and cross you fingers and pray that the majority of your players turn out to be pro bowlers. I had no idea that you could make sure you have one of the all time greats at qb and then *gasp* actually sign a free agent or two or three or four and win a title.

Sarcasm aside, at some point I really hope the Packers develop a win now attitude very soon because the chances of going on to a 3rd consecutive hall of fame qb are pretty slim.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TTs use of free agency and building a team has been discussed a lot.
And I again, I am talking about the game that has just ended. A game that was won about 15 minutes ago by team that used free agency heavily. So again, while parts of what I am discussing have been discussed I am not going to bury it in another thread when I am talking about a game that just ended. But thank you Mr. Forum police.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I again, I am talking about the game that has just ended. A game that was won about 15 minutes ago by team that used free agency heavily. So again, while parts of what I am discussing have been discussed I am not going to bury it in another thread when I am talking about a game that just ended. But thank you Mr. Forum police.

Denver was in a unique situation, they had 3 years to win a super bowl for manning. The last 2 years they made crazy good moves. Hiring wade phillips was genius because he has always been a great Defensive Coordinator. Signing Ward, Ware and a few others has paid off huge.

Green Bay will be in this situation soon enough, I hope whoever is Gm at that time will do what is necessary in order to compete and get rodgers another ring.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the FA front, many here were sort of hoping the Packers would go after Danny Trevathan at ILB. I have a feeling that after this SB Trevathan's going to cost more. Not that he had a great game, but the Denver Defense aura will rub off on him methinks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and now they FINALLY have accomplished what Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers have done. Finally, after all those years and all that money, finally. And to think it was almost all derailed a few weeks ago, but they got to play a team limping in and then 2 weeks ago a kicker missed an extra point and they probably escaped with that one too.

now they have to pay Von Miller
and Malik Jackson
and both starting ILB's in Trevathan and Marshall
and Even Mathis, and a tackle, and 2 safeties, and the only QB on the Roster is expensive, used up, and dun.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and now they FINALLY have accomplished what Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers have done. Finally, after all those years and all that money, finally. And to think it was almost all derailed a few weeks ago, but they got to play a team limping in and then 2 weeks ago a kicker missed an extra point and they probably escaped with that one too.

now they have to pay Von Miller
and Malik Jackson
and both starting ILB's in Trevathan and Marshall
and Even Mathis, and a tackle, and 2 safeties, and the only QB on the Roster is expensive, used up, and dun.

what is your point they won the super bowl with those moves. They were in a win now situation, and they did just that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what is your point they won the super bowl with those moves. They were in a win now situation, and they did just that.
that was my point and now with all those moves, that let's face it, if a kicker doesn't miss an extra point 2 weeks ago, there is a good chance they aren't even in this game today. But they were and they won. They've won exactly what Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers have already won. Everyone is claiming that Denver knows how to do it, Ted doesn't, yet they just now have done what Ted and GB already did. Except things look really, really, really tough for them going forward.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that was my point and now with all those moves, that let's face it, if a kicker doesn't miss an extra point 2 weeks ago, there is a good chance they aren't even in this game today. But they were and they won. They've won exactly what Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers have already won. Everyone is claiming that Denver knows how to do it, Ted doesn't, yet they just now have done what Ted and GB already did. Except things look really, really, really tough for them going forward.

They won who cares how it got done. What does it matter that a kicker missed an extra point the Broncos won, thats what matters.

They went for it all to get manning a ring and did just that. Their defence is still going to be good next year. They will be fine, with manning's contract gone, they will have a good chunk of salary cap space to work with. Sometimes in order to win a super bowl, with and ageing QB, you either get rid of him or try and win it all with him. Lets see what Green Bay does when Rodgers gets to that point.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Every single year fans say TT should be like the GM of the team who just won it all (or sometimes like teams who haven't won it all such as the 49ers a few years ago).

Yet while TT has been here, only one other team has two Super Bowl wins.

I agree with you. Until the GMs of the other teams have sustained enough to win more than one, they haven't done anything TT hasn't. Some of those teams are also in much worse shape now than the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing how I am talking about the super bowl that just ended... No, no it has not.

You know It does appear you are trying to put a dig in at Ted by the normal cliche words. Draft and develop--*gasp* actually sign a free agent or two---Then you put in sarcasm aside.

We all know what your intent was..

If this was TRULY about the SB that was just played and just finished..Then it should have gone in "other team discussion"

So shall I move it there, or will you admit it was about Ted?

Last edited:

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree they need to think about the future coming and make it happen.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if we go in "win now" mode and over pay for guys, what years do we give up in exchange? Win a super bowl in the next 3 years? And be mediocre at best for the next 3 or 4 of Rodgers? Or do we could stay the course and go to playoffs likely the next 7 years and hope it works out one year? You need a lot of good bounces in the playoffs. Like Denver got with Pittsburgh and NE.

Denver is good because they drafted well. They over paid for a couple of guys to provide quality depth and it worked out one season. It's far from and exact science. I certainly don't relate being aggressive in free agency with your desire to win.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know It does appear you are trying to put a dig in at Ted by the normal cliche words. Draft and develop--*gasp* actually sign a free agent or two---Then you put in sarcasm aside.

If this was TRULY about the SB that was just played and just finished..Then it should have gone in "other team discussion"

You are the mod, you are free to do whatever you like. And the comment was about the team that just won a super bowl by *gasp* signing a free agent or two or three or four.

If I wanted to dig on Ted I would flat out do it. But I don't because I like and respect what Ted has done for the Packers. The dig was for the people on this forum board who are to blind to see there are other options available.

But like so many on this board, you as well just assume I hate Ted or I am a favre lover because I make a negative comment about Rodgers (you have not done that just using it as an example). But it is all right, I am accustomed to it at this point.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are the mod, you are free to do whatever you like. And the comment was about the team that just won a super bowl by *gasp* signing a fee agent or two or three or four.

If I wanted to dig on Ted I would flat out do it. But I don't because I like and respect what Ted has done for the Packers. The dig was for the people on this forum board who are to blind to see there are other options available.

But like so many on this board, you as well just assume I hate Ted or I am a favre lover because I make a negative comment about Rodgers (you have not done that just using it as an example). But it is all right, I am accustomed to it at this point.

If you can't tell that this thread is based on a post trying to push an agenda than I don't know what to tell you especially when you started it.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you can't tell that this thread is based on a post trying to push an agenda than I don't know what to tell you especially when you started it.

Apparently you already know what that agenda is so please, p!ease enlighten me with your omniscient knowledge of my thought process. Because unlike you I don't ever presume to know what another person is thinking, I actually read the words that were written and since you did not say anything I do not have the slightest clue as to what you are getting at.

So please oh mighty God can you let me know what my agenda is?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently you already know what that agenda is so please, p!ease enlighten me with your omniscient knowledge of my thought process. Because unlike you I don't ever presume to know what another person is thinking, I actually read the words that were written and since you did not say anything I do not have the slightest clue as to what you are getting at.

So please oh mighty God can you let me know what my agenda is?

The mod summed it up pretty well. Keep on trying to say your OP doesn't read as agenda driven though.

Hell at the end of the post you yourself even state your agenda.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only take for the SB is that we ought to spend more on the Defence. That Denver D and von Miller :tup: Get an top ILB, pair him up with Clay.
Our offence is quite good and with Nelson back, we should be OK.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are the mod, you are free to do whatever you like. And the comment was about the team that just won a super bowl by *gasp* signing a free agent or two or three or four.

Nobody is blind, well i take it back, it seems some might be on both "sides" What is lost is that it is VERY hard to win a Super Bowl. Von Miller was an absolute beast last night. He had more impact in that game than anybody, and it wasn't even close. He had more impact than either QB, how often can you say that? There are so many things that can or can NOT go your way.

Even last night, if that first catch, is called a catch rather than an upheld call on the field, he doesn't get his strip sack for a defensive TD. That's how close this game was. Granted, they did pummel him the rest of the game, but that was an early game changing play. What if they actually called it correctly? and then one of Denver's FA acquisitions tried his best to lose that game for them too. they're off the field, and he gives them 15 yards and a 1st down and Carolina goes on to score a TD ( I think that was the drive). and the previous 2 games, one or 2 plays either way and Denver is NOT even in this game.

These games are close, even when they don't end up that way. and yes, it's that way when GB wins, lots of things have to go our way, same as for anyone else. Last year, IF the ref calls an offsides and free play correctly, GB has another score rather than a turnover. IF Jordy doesn't stumble out of a break and Rodgers puts it in the same spot, we're scoring 7 instead of 3 and Seattle doesn't have a miraculous comeback.

WE have had teams capable of winning the Superbowl numerous times since Ted has taken over. We've won 1, and should have at least been in another one at a minimum and going into this year you're lying if you didn't think we had a team capable of making it again. But now EVERYBODY just knew our offense would struggle like it did going into the year :)

You're right, there are other options available, there are a lot of ways to win super bowls and they all need a little luck too. This year wasn't our year. But having a legitimate Super Bowl contender 3-5 years out of a decade is more than evidence that someone knows what they are doing, from players to coaches to the Front office.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is that a threat? :cautious: Are you saying that he has to admit to what you want "or else" you're move his thread?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts