I’ll take a #2 for 100

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meanwhile, crickets on who would make a better #2 WR...

???

We will find out over the next 4 weeks if we’re golden there, or not. I think we are.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know who is, but looking around the league, we have a few that have as potential as the guys already doing it. They just have to become that guy. Physically we have talent at that position to be as good as anybody

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all have to remember that MVS is in his second year in the league. He's also learning his second offensive scheme in as many years. Gmo probably just had a rough night out and as we can see Adams was double and even triple teamed. Lastly, we didn't see Rodgers or the starters all preseason pretty much. I almost expected the Bears to pitch a shutout because I knew we would not be playing even close to a high level. But the defense, after years and years of investment, seems to have finally arrived and won us the game.

The 2019 Draft, just as the 2018 Draft before it, was not a particularly deep one at the WR position(although 2019 was deeper). Some big names for sure, but I predict that just like last year only 1 or 2 names will put up big time numbers like Calvin Ridley and DJ Moore did in their rookie seasons.

We have to be fair and allow Gute to "go through his progressions" as a GM. He drafted 3 WRs a year ago; 1 is currently on the active roster, 1 is on IR, and the other has been released. Being that this is a new offense, he most likely will taper his expectations on their growth in Year 2 as typically it's the 3rd year before an offense truly takes off in a new system.

However as I've said previously, 2020 is THE Draft to go after offensive talent. We could address WR late in Round 1, and follow up with an OT in the 2nd to complete the group. However I'm going to go darkhorse and say Gute will actually flip it and go OT and then WR, as even if Bulaga stays healthy, he might be due for a decline, and I'd prefer someone other than Light or Patrick coming in on reserve duty. The most intriguing pick of the Draft might be Round 3, that will let us know the state of the Packers roster according to Gute.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I don't know how you could have watched his rookie season and Thursday nights game and not think MVS is working his way up to being a great #2. With how he has been going I think there is a great chance that in the next couple years he is going to be our #1. Adams had a rocky start to his career. It's still early but he has done nothing but get better. Take off your hater glasses and don't expect a receiver to become a #2 overnight.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 906. I happen to think our WR group has any of MVS, Geronimo and Kumerow who could work well as #2 WRs and live up to the billing, with all 3 bringing their own strengths. Good group. I'd like to see Kumerow get some action on Sunday. Rodgers seemed to really like going to him in TC.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all have to keep in mind that the Packers don't get a break until Week 6 against the Lions in Detroit. Our first 5 Games are Bears, Vikings, Broncos, Eagles, Cowboys....pretty much all Top 10 Defenses. If we can go .500 in the rest of these games I think a Wildcard is at least a possibility. But MVS and the rest of the WR Corps is going to face pretty good secondaries every week.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
before the season started I figured the first 6 weeks were going to depend mostly on defense and special teams to give us real chances to win. We need a bit more production from the offense this week than last, but i think they can do that. I'm going to be much more critical after week 6 of this offense.

Reaction score
I was surprised the Bears offensive didn't play better in week #1 against us, but
then again who would of thought our defense would be much improved from years past.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought they would be, improved play last year in terms of being assignment sound and put in bad positions all season long. Added some really nice pieces, got rid of dead weight, and young nice players should be better in year 2. I expect nothing but a much improved defense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you mean with for 100? You can bet that the Packers are drafting offensive skill players early next year
Agreed. Every draft for as long as I can remember (which isn’t far) has focused on D. Some of that is due to poor drafting. But with the D finally seeming to be in good shape, I look forward to the addition of O skill players in the next draft.

That doesn’t solve the dilemma about who’s next after Adams. I expect someone to step up and grab that role this year. Most likely candidate is MVS, a big maybe is Shepherd if he gets playing time, especially in the slot. I think we’ve seen all we’re gonna see from GMO.

Reaction score
We all have to keep in mind that the Packers don't get a break until Week 6 against the Lions in Detroit. Our first 5 Games are Bears, Vikings, Broncos, Eagles, Cowboys
You know the old saying.. what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I love the D competition because it ensures we don’t get soft on Offense. If we can beat MN it takes a lot of pressure off us.

I'm going to be much more critical after week 6 of this offense.
Yeah, as noted earlier by someone (Schind?) 5 weeks gives us an adequate sample size and some trajectory on both O and D. We can get a pulse because that’s over a month of playing likely several top 10 Defenses. Also we saw the Eagles and Cowboys roll on Offense, so it’s a great meter for this Defense.

That doesn’t solve the dilemma about who’s next after Adams.
My feelings wouldn’t be hurt if we had 2 or more balanced players (e.g, Graham at 800 yds, 8TDs
MVS at 750 yds 7 TDs; Kumerow 500 yards, 5 TDs etc..). That also makes it really tough to know who to cover.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our WRs. Next draft, 2 of the best OL around, preferably OTs. Then WR. I believe the young WRs we have will prove themselves this season. I can’t imagine them not doing well. Just my view. They’ve really seemed to establish some chemistry with Rodgers this TC - very different from last year.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is ugly. Jones individually was the best performer in all offence...in rushing, receiving and redzone!

AR and MvS are still not in sync and we got a iffy long PI going our way. The throw was behind too.
Geromino pops up now and then, but is rarely a consistent threat.
Kumerow, Sheppard etc are barely visible.

We really need to boost this cadre.

Stats vs Dallas:

Aaron Jones - 8 targets, 7 receptions, 75 yards
Jimmy Graham - 3 targets, 3 receptions, 41 yards
Geronimo - 6 targets, 2 receptions, 28 yards
Tonyan - 1 targets, 1 receptions, 23 yards
MvS - 4 targets, 1 receptions, 18 yards
Tra Carson - 4 targets, 4 receptions, 18 yards
Marcedes Lewis - 2 targets, 2 receptions, 17 yards
Danny Vitale - 1 targets, 1 receptions, 9 yards
Kumerow - 1 targets, 1 receptions, 9 yards

D

Deleted member 6794

This is ugly. Jones individually was the best performer in all offence...in rushing, receiving and redzone!

AR and MvS are still not in sync and we got a iffy long PI going our way. The throw was behind too.
Geromino pops up now and then, but is rarely a consistent threat.
Kumerow, Sheppard etc are barely visible.

We really need to boost this cadre.

Stats vs Dallas:

Aaron Jones - 8 targets, 7 receptions, 75 yards
Jimmy Graham - 3 targets, 3 receptions, 41 yards
Geronimo - 6 targets, 2 receptions, 28 yards
Tonyan - 1 targets, 1 receptions, 23 yards
MvS - 4 targets, 1 receptions, 18 yards
Tra Carson - 4 targets, 4 receptions, 18 yards
Marcedes Lewis - 2 targets, 2 receptions, 17 yards
Danny Vitale - 1 targets, 1 receptions, 9 yards
Kumerow - 1 targets, 1 receptions, 9 yards

You really need to lower your expectations if you consider scoring 34 points on the road against a possible playoff team to be ugly.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point was receptions by our WRs.

yeah, that's bad. a win's a win, but i'm not convinced that brand of offense is sustainable. we went from arod carrying the offense to ajones carrying the offense. there should be no carrying.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank goodness Aaron Jones is good at catching passes. We do need another good WR opposite D. Adams out there. It would be ideal to get one sometime this season but it will a priority to get one high in the next draft no matter what.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um.. I think we probably already have him on our roster in MVS. His numbers already surpass those of Jordy Nelson's first two seasons, and MVS is only approaching game 6 of his 2nd season. If he can clean up his Catch %, look out. Something tells me we will be fine at WR. MVS's Year 1 #s nearly match Jordy's Year 3 #s.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um.. I think we probably already have him on our roster in MVS. His numbers already surpass those of Jordy Nelson's first two seasons, and MVS is only approaching game 6 of his 2nd season. If he can clean up his Catch %, look out. Something tells me we will be fine at WR. MVS's Year 1 #s nearly match Jordy's Year 3 #s.
I’m hopeful about MVS as well... But .... comparisons to Jordy are difficult to make ... Jordy simply wasn’t given the opportunities early on because the Packers already had top receivers in front of him. MVS... is fast and may still be great, but he is going to have to learn how to aggressively go get that ball even when he is being mugged. Rodgers is also going to need to get used to his speed and stop under throwing him. Hopefully, a little more time will get both Rodgers and MVS to be on the same page... so we can stop seeing that frustration on Rodgers’ face when he throws it deep and MVS decides to run a stop route or an out etc...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jordy would have had better numbers if he was forced into more playing time. We had the luxury of not "needing" him right away.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m hopeful about MVS as well... But .... comparisons to Jordy are difficult to make ... Jordy simply wasn’t given the opportunities early on because the Packers already had top receivers in front of him. MVS... is fast and may still be great, but he is going to have to learn how to aggressively go get that ball even when he is being mugged. Rodgers is also going to need to get used to his speed and stop under throwing him. Hopefully, a little more time will get both Rodgers and MVS to be on the same page... so we can stop seeing that frustration on Rodgers’ face when he throws it deep and MVS decides to run a stop route or an out etc...
Nelson had noticeable flaws his first two years but like the majority of young players he fixed in the normal career progression. Expecting finished products straight out of college is ridiculous imo. The outliers are very rare.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just found it interesting in the discussion. I am, and always have been a monster Jordy Nelson fan. I'll never forget after we drafted him. A project manager from K-State on a job site in Dallas told me we got a phenom. Catches everything.

I'm hopeful MVS can up his catch %. Geronimo seems to have slipped this season. MVS looks to be pretty special though. Jordy's catch % was far superior, and yeah, he had two 1000 yd WRs in front of him with Driver and Jennings.

Also, I would not mind if they were to somehow add another top talent, one who is more proven. Not at all.

Members online

Latest posts