I’ll take a #2 for 100

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need a #2 wr. I’ve been saying this since they started camp. I’m just not sold MVS is the guy, and I’m definitely not sold on Geronimo Allison.. who if I remember correctly?? didn’t get a single target.

Although I do like MVS as a slot who can get deep, i don’t think he’s the #2 who’s going to consistently be a viable option when teams roll coverage towards Adams.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you mean with for 100? You can bet that the Packers are drafting offensive skill players early next year

Reaction score
What’s discouraging are what the Pats O are doing to Pitt. They look mid-season form right now.

Looking around the league there’s lots of teams in near mid/season O form.
One of my draft favorites Terry McClaurin was already lighting them up, he looks like a veteran out there. Randall Cobb looked good today, I’m happy for him, but unfortunately he’s given Dallas a nice 3rd option behind Amari and Gallup. Dallas looks really fluent for their opening game.

It’s just tough to watch. We really need someone to step up over the next couple weeks.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
What’s discouraging are what the Pats O are doing to Pitt. They look mid-season form right now.

Looking around the league there’s lots of teams in near mid/season O form.
One of my draft favorites Terry McClaurin was already lighting them up, he looks like a veteran out there. Randall Cobb looked good today, I’m happy for him, but unfortunately he’s given Dallas a nice 3rd option behind Amari and Gallup. Dallas looks really fluent for their opening game.

It’s just tough to watch. We really need someone to step up over the next couple weeks.
A lot of these offenses that look to be in midseason form have a ton of continuity, and also didn’t play the Bears in week 1. Even the Packers in the 2nd half against the Bears in week 1 of 2018 looked unstoppable. That’s because the Packers had continuity.

To expect or want to the Packers at this point to be like the Patriots is just so unrealistic.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers D is looking more Packers 2015 like than da Bears on Thursday. And the Pats head coach OC, Oline coach and RB coach have more decades together than our offensive players have halves together.

Reaction score
A lot of these offenses that look to be in midseason form have a ton of continuity, and also didn’t play the Bears in week 1. Even the Packers in the 2nd half against the Bears in week 1 of 2018 looked unstoppable. That’s because the Packers had continuity.

To expect or want to the Packers at this point to be like the Patriots is just so unrealistic.
I agree with that actually. There’s a difference in between complaining and explaining. I appreciate GB having a new system and I 100% think our Offense will improve. But at no time have I insinuated that our Offense should match NE week 1 (or at any juncture for that matter).
IDK. Maybe I missed someone else’s comment about that.
Regardless, either way.. it doesn’t negate other teams obviously performing at a high level early in. We performed at a high level Defensively week 1. Other teams fans have every right to appreciate that and say we looked scary good. To me a fan recognizing a stellar performance isn’t necessarily a slight on oneself

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree with that actually. There’s a difference in between complaining and explaining. I appreciate GB having a new system and I 100% think our Offense will improve. But at no time have I insinuated that our Offense should match NE week 1 (or at any juncture for that matter).
IDK. Maybe I missed someone else’s comment about that.
Regardless, either way.. it doesn’t negate other teams obviously performing at a high level early in. We performed at a high level Defensively week 1. Other teams fans have every right to appreciate that and say we looked scary good. I don’t see what harm is in speaking the truth.
I get wanting the offense to look good. But the combination of playing the Bears (who will have no worse than a top 3 defense this year) and adapting a totally different offensive system makes that desire very unrealistic.

Reaction score
I get wanting the offense to look good. But the combination of playing the Bears (who will have no worse than a top 3 defense this year) and adapting a totally different offensive system makes that desire very unrealistic.
What desire? To improve?

I’m losing you here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers' receivers options are fine. This narrative is an overreaction to week one.

That said-- it's being reported that lots of veteran Dolphins are seeking to be traded. If Albert Wilson can be had for the right compensation, that's a guy I would go get.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What desire? To improve?

I’m losing you here.
they will improve, to expect to see that improvement week 1 given the circumstances was pretty unrealistic. It takes more than a season to fully grasp an offense or defense. it's why teams are usually always better year 2 and 3 than year 1 in a system. Doesn't matter who the players are. New HC's usually struggle some. New offenses always struggle, now put both of those things and add 1st game on the road against a defense that has been together for a couple seasons and is probably top 3 defense in the league you have some very tough sledding ahead. to compound the issue even more, defenses usually always perform better than offenses early in the season. All of that was working against the Packers on Thursday night, and expecting them to come out with much more than they had is a little naive I think.

Right now after 1 game, our run game and short passing from our QB appear to be bigger concerns than our WR's anyway.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sure the Patriots are about to trade away Dorsett after making him look like a #1 WR last night with AB coming to town. And I am sure they will get a premium for him after that performance.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think it's a jeopardy reference

Thank you. Went right over the poor guys head haha

With our schedule and the defenses we play coming up this group ain’t gonna cut it...idc if it’s a new scheme or not. The freaking Bengals installed a completely new offense this off season with a new HC and Andy Dalton threw for 420 yds and almost beat the Seahawks in there place ....without AJ Green!! So I don’t wanna hear it.

When Rodgers was at his best he had Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings and James Jones....outside of Adams who else do other teams really need to take away? Yes it was the Bears defense, but we saw a common theme of Rodgers holding the ball way too long waiting for guys to get open. You cannot expect me to believe that it’s 100% the new scheme and Bears defense when we had the same issue last season in a system Rodgers ran almost 13 yrs. They do NOT have a #2 receiving threat period. If we start losing games 13-16 or 20-13 then what’s the excuse going to be? The scheme? The same scheme that saw Matt Ryan for 4,944 yds 38 touchdown passes and a 117 QBR in 2016.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thank you! Needed to be said.

rodell330, LOVED the Jeopardy reference, but I thought you were talking about WIN #2... which I will take!

I honestly think Gutes will address a #2WR if it becomes the problem so many people believe it to be.

I’m of a different opinion, and, let’s see how our WR corps does after about 3-4 games. It’s not like any of our WRs had blatant drops or miscues. Just a bunch of poor throws from a QB getting too much pressure from a great front 7. Add, our OL allowed too much pressure.

I really do think we will not only be fine, but, we’ll be great at WR this season with who we have.

Who, exactly, is this #2 WR so many people feel will take us to the promised land? That’s one answer I’d love to hear. (Something tells me we won’t be hearing about a newly drafted WR from Ohio St.)

——

One other thing on Aaron Rodgers. There is a thing called “muscle memory.” Rodgers had his leg broken last year against CHI, and his collar bone broken the year before v. MIN. If the guy went through some duress facing that same team week 1 in CHI, I find any happy feet/off throws/poor timing understandable, especially w a new system. Being HOME should help this Sunday in this respect facing MIN. Jm2c.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you. Went right over the poor guys head haha

With our schedule and the defenses we play coming up this group ain’t gonna cut it...idc if it’s a new scheme or not. The freaking Bengals installed a completely new offense this off season with a new HC and Andy Dalton threw for 420 yds and almost beat the Seahawks in there place ....without AJ Green!! So I don’t wanna hear it.

When Rodgers was at his best he had Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings and James Jones....outside of Adams who else do other teams really need to take away? Yes it was the Bears defense, but we saw a common theme of Rodgers holding the ball way too long waiting for guys to get open. You cannot expect me to believe that it’s 100% the new scheme and Bears defense when we had the same issue last season in a system Rodgers ran almost 13 yrs. They do NOT have a #2 receiving threat period. If we start losing games 13-16 or 20-13 then what’s the excuse going to be? The scheme? The same scheme that saw Matt Ryan for 4,944 yds 38 touchdown passes and a 117 QBR in 2016.
It wasn't all Rodgers holding the ball too long. Gaining zero and -2 yards every first down certainly played it's part. Rodgers looking pretty poor with any pass under 6 yards wasn't great either. Those short passes were too hard and in bad spots to catch and make anything happen. Holding the ball happened mostly on our 3rd and 7+ type plays.

Are we trying to say our WR's aren't fast enough again or something? Those plays take time to develop, period. The camera rarely showed what was happening down field so this notion nobody was open are just guesses as far as i'm concerned because I saw plenty happening on the screen that showed plenty of places to put a football.

2 things that will make this offense look loads better, better protection and better run game.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Muscle memory is a total sports fallacy. Muscles have no physiological capacity for memory

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Muscle memory is a total sports fallacy. Muscles have no physiological capacity for memory
I don't think people use muscle memory as a term to equate muscles "remembering" things but rather to putting your body thru a certain set of biomechanics enough times, your body "remembers" it and becomes more efficient by skipping all the ways it didn't work before :)

a lot of adjustments are made with simple reflex arcs that terminate in motor neurons in the cord and completely bypass the brain. Also peripheral stimulation can stimulate the brain to "remember". Memory is so much more than we think and it all works together.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ohhhh yeah... um.... I spent more than a decade working in ER/TRAUMA, Neonatal ICU, SICU, Burn Unit, etc.... I know my way around that, ran life support systems -Yikes.

I was speaking to the larger effect of the fight or flight response, and I do believe Rodgers had to have had some anxiety brought on from breaking his leg last year, game 1, v. CHI. It was the same balls to the wall front 7 we faced last year. That was a lot of pressure to withstand, with every player on our OL failing often, early in the game.

So, to me, any happy feet, poor throws, holding onto the ball kind of stuff is understandable. The beauty of what occurred in terms of us Packers fans, is we now get to see how LaFleur is able to use this as a teaching moment, a coaching moment with Rodgers. Aaron said he likes being coached, and now maybe we see what LaFleur can do to eliminate some of that stuff.

Rodgers had ample opportunities to hit an outlet and not hold onto the ball for something bigger only to take a hit or a sack. I'm sure that will be on LaFleur's list this week.

H

HardRightEdge

I once made a reference to muscle memory to an ex-FBS OL from my alma mater who had gone on to become an M.D. With a straight face he said the same thing. We might have been talking about the golf swing.

Of course everybody knows muscles have no memory. The reference is to the unconsious, instinctual memory of a muscular motion that resides in the brain or "mind".

Think about those moments when you were in the zone, nothing but net from 3-point land, striping an iron shot to the flag, zipping a football on a rope 30 yards to the receiver's fingertips. Were you thinking your way through the mechanics? Of course not; that would get you a crappy result. Did you "remember" those mechanics from prior repetitions even if they were not conscious? Of course you did. Because it is unconscious it just seems like the muscles remembered what to do. But we know it was the brain doing the remembering.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again..... RELAX. The Offense (including the WR’s) will be fine.

Members online

Latest posts