Hypothetical

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre would have hung up his cleats before the draft, would we have taken Quinn when he fell?

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
without a doubt

I think you meant no way. That would mean they think he's better than Rodgers, in which case they should've/would've taken him anyway.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre would have hung up his cleats before the draft, would we have taken Quinn when he fell?
I'm guessing we would have tried to make a move for a vet (Green?) to battle Rodgers. I don't know that you want two rookies as your QBs in camp.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
without a doubt

I think you meant no way. That would mean they think he's better than Rodgers, in which case they should've/would've taken him anyway.
Don't kid yourself. Every team had Quinn rated better in this draft than they had Rodgers ranked in that draft.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
going into that draft, there were rumblings about Rodgers going #1

why do you think that was such a big story, when he got passed on so long?

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was easily the weakest QB class of our generation. It was obvious that whichever QB didn't go #1 was going to fall off the face of a cliff. Miami passing on Quinn was much more shocking than Rodgers' fall to 24.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was easily the weakest QB class of our generation. It was obvious that whichever QB didn't go #1 was going to fall off the face of a cliff. Miami passing on Quinn was much more shocking than Rodgers' fall to 24.

And for a 180lb wide receiver at that???????

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:

In their defense, a 180 lb. WR that runs a sub 4.3 when completely healthy, supposedly.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YERCELL said:
Packnic said:
without a doubt

Don't kid yourself. Every team had Quinn rated better in this draft than they had Rodgers ranked in that draft.

Ahh, OK? Then they should've/would've drafted him. Because I mean your beloved TT drafts the best player available, so I'd be confused if he passed on Quinn if he thought he was better.

P.S. I never said Rodgers was better.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's very obvious that taking players at positions of need became much more popular than BPA this year. That explains the picks of Levi Jones, Ted Ginn, Marshawn Lynch, and Justin Harrell.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
kmac said:

In their defense, a 180 lb. WR that runs a sub 4.3 when completely healthy, supposedly.

That's not much of an advantage when the 205 lb safeties who are paid to decapatate him are only .005 slower. Regardless, Ginn at number 9 overall was as bad as "Hands" Williamson going to the Queenies at #7 a few years back. :rotflmao:

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's very obvious that taking players at positions of need became much more popular than BPA this year. That explains the picks of Levi Jones, Ted Ginn, Marshawn Lynch, and Justin Harrell.

Great, I'm not the GM who says I take the "BPA". But to say if Favre was gone we'd w/out a doubt take Quinn doesn't seem logical at all. Favre won't be here next year, maybe the year after, so why would we pass on Quinn while Favre is still here? There's no guarantee we'd get a better QB in the future.

Reaction score
I think Yercell raises a good point.

Regradless, IF I WAS TT, then I'd have taken Quinn, if (and only if) Favre had retired before the draft.

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that if you have the chance to draft a potential 'franchise' QB, you do it. (Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule such as the Pats and Bengals, since they have young franchise QBs already)

History indicates that Rodgers doesn't have that great of a chance in successfully taking the throne after Favre leaves, so I'd have gotten another QB to protect myself.

Since I'm TT, and my future is riding on Rodgers working out, I'd have taken Quinn to give me another couple of years or two at the helm in case Rodgers was a bust.

Oh, and Quinn's girl looked somewhat hot, so that doesn't hurt either. :lol:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

we discussed this in the chatroom on saturday and the consesus was that for a future NFL QB the girlfriend he had was very average. :p

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear if any team has ever drafted two first-round QB's within three years. It would make sense only if the first one was already a bust, but Rodgers hasn't had a chance to prove himself one way or another yet. Plus you would have two QB's earning first-round money. That's just stupid. At some point you have to pick a guy and go with him.

I suppose they could've drafted Quinn then traded Rodgers, but by all accounts, management still thinks Rodgers is going to be good, yet they would not be able to get good value for him in a trade.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I'm still waiting to hear if any team has ever drafted two first-round QB's within three years. It would make sense only if the first one was already a bust, but Rodgers hasn't had a chance to prove himself one way or another yet. Plus you would have two QB's earning first-round money. That's just stupid. At some point you have to pick a guy and go with him.

I suppose they could've drafted Quinn then traded Rodgers, but by all accounts, management still thinks Rodgers is going to be good, yet they would not be able to get good value for him in a trade.

The cowboys had Steve Walsh and Troy Aikman. Walsh was selected by the Dallas Cowboys with the first pick in the 1989 NFL Supplemental Draft. Of course Aikman was drafted with the 1st pick of the regular draft in 1989. Aikman started 11 games in 89 and Walsh 5, and we all know how that turned out.

That is the only one I can think of.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because of the fact we know Brett's leaving sooner than later I take the pass on Quinn as an endorsement of sorts by the staff on how they feel about Rodgers.

No one knows better than MM who is a good NFL quarterback producer how ARod stacks up at this point. So I would say if there were deep seeded worries about this guys talent it would have come out Saturday when the opportunity for Quinn arose.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I think Yercell raises a good point.

Regradless, IF I WAS TT, then I'd have taken Quinn, if (and only if) Favre had retired before the draft.

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that if you have the chance to draft a potential 'franchise' QB, you do it. (Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule such as the Pats and Bengals, since they have young franchise QBs already)

History indicates that Rodgers doesn't have that great of a chance in successfully taking the throne after Favre leaves, so I'd have gotten another QB to protect myself.

Since I'm TT, and my future is riding on Rodgers working out, I'd have taken Quinn to give me another couple of years or two at the helm in case Rodgers was a bust.

i dont think TTs future has a whole lot to do with Rodgers working out.
Brett Favre was in limbo, and we needed a QB eventually. when Rodgers fell to 24... we had no choice but to take a guy who was ranked as one of the best QBs that year. If we would have traded up to get him or gone out of our way, then yes it would be on TT. but since he fell in our laps no.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Thing about Quinn that is inviting is that the coaching he recieved in college. I don't know that there was a better coached QB comming out in the last couple of year, minus maybe the USC Qb's.

He may not have all the physical abilities in the world, but he knows how to play the position. He has the fight in him during the end of the game and a calmness about him. Intangibles that can't be taught.

On the con side, is how much more can he grow. For the Brown's whom need a shot in the arm and someone to come in right away. Great pick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts