Hypothetical: Which Wildcard Team Should We Hope To Face In Playoffs?

Which Current Team Vying For 6th Seed Do We Want?

• Atlanta

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Chicago

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • NY Giants

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Seattle

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Tampa Bay

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally I don't venture into hypotheticals, plus in a year like this one, no game should be assumed that we'll win, especially after losing to Detroit and Chicago at home, so I get that, and I'm not going to just say we for sure get to this. But I just got one of those good feelings that it's going to play out this way.

Maybe because I just see the Cowboys struggles continue without Romo and think they're worse than both Chicago and Detroit under that circumstance and feel like our O could get away with not a great game and still beat them given our defensive strengths.

I feel like Oakland can't get pressure on opposing QBs and doesn't have any defenders to play man-defense with, and we got guys who can run the ball good on them. I'll assume both us and Minny lose to AZ, but then comes THE GAME to wrap the season up with at home against them. And perhaps in another dramatic fashion, we find a way to win this one. So take all that into consideration, I'd see the winner of the NFC North taking 3rd seed and playing a 6th seed team.

Right now, there are 5 teams realistically vying for that last seed: Seattle, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Chicago, and NY Giants (I'll assume Washington stays ahead and wins the East). Which of these teams would we want?

I'm going to lean towards Atlanta as our most favorable and Seattle as our least favorable but that's just me.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming we are the third seed then you should have the Vikings in this scenario. They are 8-3 and better than all of those teams except for maybe Seattle - and we'll see who is better in a few days. If the Vikings are indeed the 6th seed, I'd want to see them again followed by Tampa and Chicago in that order.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming we are the third seed then you should have the Vikings in this scenario. They are 8-3 and better than all of those teams except for maybe Seattle - and we'll see who is better in a few days. If the Vikings are indeed the 6th seed, I'd want to see them again followed by Tampa and Chicago in that order.

Well okay, yeah I get what you're saying. I guess I'd figured with probably both us and them finishing at 11-5 (us winning that last game), I'd assumed the Vikings took a 5th seed in that case. Although the game between them and Seattle tomorrow could change that. But I'd just assumed the 3rd and 5th seeds came to the NFC North given the way it's shaping up.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Our offense needs to put a complete game together, something we haven't seen in a long time before I begin to worry too much about the playoffs. If they do and can keep it rolling, nobody on the list scares me. If not, any team on the list could come to Green Bay and knock us right out.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we could slow down the Tampa running game if only because they aren't yet set with a decent, win the game, type QB.
They still coached by Lovie?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wild card team? At the moment it would be "which division winner". And I'd love to see the Redskins in the first round.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we could slow down the Tampa running game if only because they aren't yet set with a decent, win the game, type QB.

This is very much incorrect. Jameis Winston's been playing some very good football and winning games despite a very beatup receiver core. If they get healthy and this Tampa Bay team makes the playoffs, you damn well better not sleep on them, especially taking into account how good Doug Martin is looking. Lovie Smith's problem in his previous years was he could not find the right offensive coordinator for his offenses and therefore struggled. He's got a good one this year in Dirk Koetter, and the Bucs' O-line is drastically improved since week 1. Also need I remind everyone this Bucs team has played us very tough in the past.

If I were to rate our most favorable playoff teams top to bottom, it'd go like this -

1. Atlanta - Matt Ryan has not been good in the playoffs and his decision-making has gone downhill over the years. Also, their D while being marginally improved is still struggling to stop teams for the most part.

2. Chicago - I'd pick them in 2nd because I think come playoff time our guys would be very angry about what happened Thanksgiving night and would be only too eager to bring the wood on Chicago, and you shouldn't trust a Jay Cutler led Bears team in the playoffs.

3. Giants - 50/50 on these guys because that's the kind of team they've been all year. Obviously, I don't really want to have our corners tested on Odell Beckham Jr and Reuben Randle and Eli Manning has been playing some good football this year compared to the last 2 years, and obviously he's done well against us in the last couple playoff meetings. On the other hand, their defensive line has had almost no sacks this year and they can't stop the run either as Washington proved last week. Could be a bad or good matchup, depending on how it goes down, plus who knows, in a season that some demons got exorcised, these guys might make the list.

4. Tampa Bay - I'm not exactly wanting a hot Tampa Bay team coming up to Lambeau. Lovie is pretty familiar with us and a Bucs team with almost no expectations to even be in the playoffs could be more dangerous than one with high expectations.

5. Seattle - Just don't like the idea of Seattle looking for payback for earlier this year and feel like a stumbling team of ours just getting in isn't the ideal matchup to be starting the playoffs with.

Last edited:

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still a long shot- but then so was the Hail Mary Thursday night- but the Packers could still be playing for a first round bye and home field divisional game.

Arizona has a potential trap game tomorrow at St. Louis, which would leave them just one game ahead of the Packers for the #2 playoff seed. If the Packers are 10-4 when they go there Dec. 27 and the Cards are 11-3 or 10-4 themselves we've got a virtual playoff game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's still a long shot- but then so was the Hail Mary Thursday night- but the Packers could still be playing for a first round bye and home field divisional game.

Arizona has a potential trap game tomorrow at St. Louis, which would leave them just one game ahead of the Packers for the #2 playoff seed. If the Packers are 10-4 when they go there Dec. 27 and the Cards are 11-3 or 10-4 themselves we've got a virtual playoff game.
One more win makes the playoffs iffy. IMO two more wins to make the playoffs as a WC. Probably #5 seed. Three more wins including over the Vikings most likely garners the NFCN title again and the #3 seed. Run the table for the NFCN and the #2 seed should be waiting. I expect the Cards and Vikings to lose one other game yet. Barring an unprecedented rash if injuries, no way Carolina loses 4 of 5 for the #1 seed.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't want to face Lovie's defense. He plays the base cover/Tampa 2 which Rodgers has some difficulty with even when the offense is clicking.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 3 Big games I'm paying attention to that are going to hugely impact the playoff race to possibly who we get. Now being that the 49ers are just terrible, I expect the Bears will win that game tomorrow, so we'll get to keep an eye on them too as they may be that silent team that kinda moves up if the chaos around them knocks everyone else out. But these 3 games have by far the biggest wildcard shakeup potential in them.

Jets vs Giants - I'm going to go far enough to say if the Giants lose this game they are done and will be out of the playoffs. Jets won't have Darelle Revis to cover Odell, but on the flipside, that Giants defense may not be able to slow down Marshall and Decker and if they don't get to Fitzpatrick, he just may have a big game against them too. I say they're done if they lose because not only will they not be getting help from a Romo-less Dallas team against Washington, it'd be a big confidence deflater and at 5-7 with big ones still to go against Minny and Carolina, I think they cannot afford to lose this. If they win, well the magic may not be gone yet from Coughlin.

Seahawks at Vikings - While the Seahawks may have the most favorable upcoming schedule after this one on paper, a loss still keeps the door open on that wildcard spot for another team to run the table and they could very well be eliminated on the heels of this if they lose in Baltimore next week. If Minny gets Rudolph and Peterson going in this one, the Seahawks will have trouble in Minny. And I know the other 2 teams in this next game hope that Minny wins.

Falcons at Bucs - This one looks like a must-win for both teams. If Atlanta wins, there's a good chance their hot start but derailed season gets back on track. The big thing is Matt Ryan is playing dumb football but with Devonta Freeman back, if they can get him going in both the run and pass in this one and get some 3rd and 4th WRs involved in this one, who knows perhaps the Falcons of old start showing up again. For the Bucs, Doug Martin and Mike Evans have helped make Jameis Winston's job easier and if Tampa Bay takes this one, there is a good chance they will roll through the awful Saints and Rams teams and knock the Bears down and upset the Panthers to go seizing that last playoff spot. Yup I said it, this game is the game in the NFC South that may decide that spot. Going to be a real barn burner here.

These games right here are the playoff shakers

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arizona has 3 of its last 4 games against GB, Minn, & Seattle. They have a big say in the wild card race.

Well yes, in a sense some of what I've been saying takes into account probable losses by both Green Bay in Minny out there in those games. Though what I will wonder is, while it's conceivable that Carolina may drop one before this season is over, where will they be in relation to Arizona by the time of that last game against Seattle? If I had to guess, I'd assume that by the time Arizona plays Seattle in its last game, their seeding will have pretty much been set. If that's the case, it's more than likely Arizona sits some of their starters that game or only plays them for a quarter or a half before taking them out. While it's possible Arizona may want to try eliminate a divisional opponent if given the opportunity, and it certainly has been attempted before by teams already locked up with a 1st round bye (aka Chicago 2010), I'm certain Arians will not risk injury to Palmer in a game that would not gain them anything to win.

That being said, seems the consensus here is pretty split between wanting Atlanta or Tampa Bay up here in January.

D

Deleted member 6794

Barring an unprecedented rash if injuries, no way Carolina loses 4 of 5 for the #1 seed.

With the Panthers holding the tie-breaker over the Packers they would have to lose all of their remaining games for the Packers to have a chance on the #1 seed.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I kinda hoped initially that Minny would win and knock Seattle completely out of this, it is possible they may have bumped the door up for them to jump into 5th seed instead of 6th.

One thing I wonder, is if Tampa Bay wins out from here and finishes 10-6 to tie Minny, would Minny get beat out of the playoffs? I'm doubting it, but thinking that may be the case.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
As much as I kinda hoped initially that Minny would win and knock Seattle completely out of this, it is possible they may have bumped the door up for them to jump into 5th seed instead of 6th.

One thing I wonder, is if Tampa Bay wins out from here and finishes 10-6 to tie Minny, would Minny get beat out of the playoffs? I'm doubting it, but thinking that may be the case.

espn playoff machine

there is a way we go to Tampa 9-7 and play them with us being 10-6 (losing to Cards and Raiders)

If Minny goes 9-7 Tampa goes...If Minny goes 10-6 they get in..

But that is me just playing around with the machine, so could be way off

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't know how to describe this year though, probably the oddest year that you think you'll get figured out that has absolutely nothing go according to plan at all. I mean, so Philadelphia just gets killed by Tampa Bay and Detroit and then wins in Foxboro. I mean, the Patriots are an injured team that everyone knew was going to see those injury pileups cause losses eventually, but still that's just nuts as all get out.

The game tomorrow night in Landover MD is going to be a big one though as far as keeping things stable in the NFC East. Game in Philly between them and Washington could very well be for the East.

While certainly this is no playoff picture that's going to be steady at all it doesn't look like, but if I had to take a shot at guessing who's out now, it would seem the Bears, Falcons, and Giants are all out of playoff contention. Giants, because they're in the east still have an outside shot at division title, but that's the only way they can get in. But with games vs Carolina and their kryptonite Philly still left, I'm doubting that happens.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So Minnesota gets two more losses with GB at most one. I like your thinking. Anyway, both Mn and TB are currently tied in conference games at 5-3. Since they do not play and assuming only two teams at 10-6 Minn winds up out of the playoffs based on their 7-5 conference record vs Tampa's 9-3. If Atlanta hangs around (which includes beating Carolina twice) they are still out based on losing to Mn and Tampa at which point it still is a two team race. Depends also on Seattle being in the picture at that point too.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather the Packers get the #5 seed and play the winner of the NFC East instead of winning the division and playing Seattle. Seattle looks good right now. Let them beat Minnesota and Carolina before playing in Green Bay in the NFC Championship Game.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Minnesota gets two more losses with GB at most one. I like your thinking. Anyway, both Mn and TB are currently tied in conference games at 5-3. Since they do not play and assuming only two teams at 10-6 Minn winds up out of the playoffs based on their 7-5 conference record vs Tampa's 9-3. If Atlanta hangs around (which includes beating Carolina twice) they are still out based on losing to Mn and Tampa at which point it still is a two team race. Depends also on Seattle being in the picture at that point too.

Well, given that Seattle has some pretty clear sailing for the next few games (Baltimore, Cleveland, and St Louis), it's looking far more likely they won't be out, as disappointing as that is. I mean I know the Rams usually show up but they've been playing some god awful football since going 4-3 and if they were smart, they'd fire Jeff Fisher's butt.

To me Minny's loss today was extremely bad for them and is going to really knock em off their perch. If you're going to try and show you belong in the playoffs, you can't be uncompetitive in games like that. They play the Cardinals on a short week, it's not looking good at all for them. After that, Bears and Giants, which although both those teams also had tough losses today, put either one in a situation that they don't feel any pressure to win and it's not good for Minny. So far, the Vikes to me have really not played up to their 8-4 record.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather the Packers get the #5 seed and play the winner of the NFC East instead of winning the division and playing Seattle. Seattle looks good right now. Let them beat Minnesota and Carolina before playing in Green Bay in the NFC Championship Game.

I believe even if Minny got into the playoffs, they'd now get bumped into 6th seed, because Seattle by beating them today wins head to head tie breaker by virtue of that for 5th. So we'd get 3rd seed and end up getting them at Lambeau to open playoffs. We win that and we'd probably head to Arizona.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe even if Minny got into the playoffs, they'd now get bumped into 6th seed, because Seattle by beating them today wins head to head tie breaker by virtue of that for 5th. So we'd get 3rd seed and end up getting them at Lambeau to open playoffs. We win that and we'd probably head to Arizona.
I believe he's thinking to let Mn have the NFCN as we'd have the tie breaker over Seattle for the #5.

Members online

Latest posts