Hypothetical: The Packers win Super Bowl XLVII

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, let's just say the Packers (or what ever team.) win the Super Bowl. Are they going to get some kind of asterisk next to their title? Will it be respected among fans and their peers?

I guess all of that depends on how the calls go throughout the rest of the season and in the playoffs and in the big game. If the Packers continue to play clean ball and not get away with penalties, and can muscle through the bad calls (including this debacle in Seattle.) and no calls I think it will be considered a legitimate championship.

On the other hand, let's say the Seattle Seahawks make the playoffs. What if they make it in by one game? What if they win the big game? Will they get an asterisk? What about the title being respected among their peers and fans?

I was just thinking about this on my walk to work this morning and thought I would share it with you all. My 2 cents is this: I want the Packers to win it all, and I want them to do it so squeaky clean that NO ONE can say "Well, that was the season with the replacement refs and they gave you this call and that no call and that is why you won!". I want to be able to say "Hey, you show me a game or drive altering penalty / no call that affected the outcome of a game!" This is also what helped me to move on from the Giants loss in the playoffs last season. Yeah, I still feel like we SHOULD have won because we were the better team. However, had we won that game with all those calls that benefited us that shouldn't have I don't think we would have ever heard the end of it. I would hate to have to live with that, and I think the players would too.