1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hybrid cars

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by all about da packers, Jun 2, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The lease on our family car is about to end, and my dad and I are both intrigued at the prospect of buying a Hybrid.

The thing is though, I don't know much about them. I asked the dealer salesman, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything but positive things about the car.

Has anyone else out there had experience with Hybrid cars? Would love to hear your insight, or thoughts in general even if you haven't owned a Hybrid.

2. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    i was in one a couple times.

it's really eerie driving in a car that makes absolutely no noise from the engine.

but be careful, i hear Prius owners have a tendency to enjoy the smell of their own farts within weeks after ownership.

3. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Shouldn't be a problem for Packer Fans :razz:

4. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    well it's different for us...ours are exquisite!

5. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...that takes "cutting the cheese" to a new low level.

Since we are on the topic.....here is the new aadp hybrid motorcycle!

"Behold the power of cheese"

[​IMG]

6. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

7. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, supposedly they get better gas mileage in the city. So if you do a lot of city driving, you'll save a lot on gas. That's all I know. Oh, I think you can legally drive in the carpool lane too if you have one.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Arn't they like 5 grand more then a "normal" car?
    According to what i heard on TV, you will never make up the 5 grand spent on the car on gas. (Of course with the way gas prices are going, that might not be true now)

9. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    i (sort of) agree with cheesey. if you live in the city you will see a marked improvement in gas mileage, but if you're only leasing the car and don't expect to be driving it for the next ten years, you probably won't be saving much money in the long run, and also, if more than 1/3 of your driving is highway, your improved mileage will be much less noticeable. hybrids don't save extra while driving highway because the way they conserve gas is by running solely off battery power while you are not moving. on the other hand, they are still much better for the environment than a regular car, and that should count for something.

10. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, and I didn't know that stuff bozz.

I'm mostly (like 3/4) of my driving IS on the highway, so I hadn't taken that into account at all.

The car is costing around $38,000 cheesey but my dad and I both figured that with financing it, what we saved on gas we'd just transfer that over to the payment. But now that seems to have been jumping the gun without knowing all the facts.

Damn, I got some discussing to do with pops.

11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485

http://www.hybridcars.com/pricepulse/index.php

List of car prices in ANY zip code

May 27, 2007 Toyota Prius $23,500 this is from Milwaukee area...

Seems prices are about 21k to 30k

12. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    The Hybrid we were looking at was Toyota Camry Hybrid, in Canadian dollars. Conversion wise, a Canadian dollar is around $0.94 American, so we end up having to pay more in Canada.

We also have to pay more for freight, since the Car ships from Kentucky to Pickering (suburb outside of Toronto).

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's 94c? Urgh! What is happening to our dollar? I remember when your dollar was under 80c. I used to go to Canada to buy CDs because they were so cheap.

I also remember when the euro was less than a dollar. Now euros are expensive.

14. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Some news reports coming out say that the hybrids don't get the mileage they claim, and out here in the mountains forget saving on gas. Just around Missoula we have four mountain passes to go over to get anywhere out of here. That's a whole bunch of downshifting on that engine.

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Looks like it's a good thing you came on here first!
    Heck......why don't you buy TWO $13,000 cars, and you STILL will have plenty of money left over for gas! Then you EACH have a car!

16. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is though cheesey that we both hate small cars. And in Canada, you can't get a new car for $13,000. What we're planning to do is trade in our van, to help with some initial down payment.

Zombie, if you think that's worrying, some economists are saying by the end of the year the Canadian dollar will be totally equivalent to the American dollar, so that $1 CDN = $1 USD.

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Chevy Cavalier. It's not a huge car, but not small either. They make the Cobalt now, and it's a decent mid size car for the price. Pretty good on gas too.