1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hundley over Tolzein

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by lambeaulambo, Aug 31, 2015.

1. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    Never been a Tolzein fan. Now with the concussion, could be Hundley time. Thoughts?

2. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I agree with "Hundley over Tolzein". Tolzien (;)) OTOH finished the concussion protocol and was available to play against the Eagles in an emergency situation. If Tolzien is healthy, he's the backup QB this season as he should be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +145
    Yes, Hundley did do well. It just makes it more difficult to decide what to do with him. The Packers are not known to keep three QB's on the 53 roster.

4. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    hundley has a long way to go. He should not play any meaningful snaps this season. Tolzein can right now play and give us a shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,640
    The Packers will for sure keep Hundley on the roster. Thompson won't give up on him after giving up two picks to draft him and he showed some promise in preseason action. There's no way we could move him to the practice squad without another team claiming him off waivers.

Tolzien will and should be Rodgers' backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Unless there is a trade offer MM & TT will go with the vet to start the season at backup.

7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    Develop Hundley, stick with Tolszein. Lot more options for the offense with Tolzein's knowledge of the offense and playbook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,795
    Hundley has earned a roster spot regardless of what they consider Tolzien. He's only under contract for one year anyway (tolzien). They kept 3 last year and I think our 3 this year are better. it's not as if there are 6 blow you away TE's competing for roster spots, or 6-7 never drop the ball WR's we need to keep room for or 5 ILB's that are just all over the field making plays that we have to keep on this roster.

9. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +145
    I think the Packers kept 3 QB'S last year because of Rodgers injury.

10. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    It has been said that if Rodgers goes down we don't stand a chance. I disagree with that and think we need to play whoever gives us the best chance to win games. I don't think Tolzien gives us that chance. The Pack needs to score and control the ball. I was very impressed with Hundley (poise, surveying the field, escapability and release and arm strength) and Blanchard? showed me has a helluva an arm. Even though Tolzien has some experience; I don't think we can win with him. So if you want him for the next in line; I say put him on a very short leash.

11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Lets trade Tolzein for RG3 ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Don't have time to look but is RG3 practice squad eligible?

• Like Like x 1
  13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    dont believe so

14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,640
    Tolzien is by far the way better option to step in for Rodgers if something is gonna happen to him. Hundley played a nice preseason game vs. the Eagles but he's far away from being ready to win in the regular season.

No.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    iyho... In mine, I don't think Tolzien can do it period amen. Therefore, for me, almost anyone would have a better chance...experience or no.

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,640
    Based on what??? On the playing time he got in 2013 after having signed after training camp??? Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269

Not this year. Hundley has been impressive for a rookie, and may overtake Tolzien at some point, but for now Tolzien is a quicker decision-maker and goes through his progressions more smoothly. Hundly, at times, will still stere down a receiver, though he has made progress in this area.

18. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,795
    I think Tolzien has obviously shown he can be effective at the backup position in GB. No matter how we slice it, we're not having Aaron Rodgers backing up Aaron Rodgers, but Tolzien can give us quality starts.

and for as much as Hundley showed, he still has room to improve and that's good. He was a bit slow to get rid of the ball. He missed several wide open receivers in his progressions, but was able to show his ability to extend plays and still make them. So good and bad all in one play. Well maybe not "bad", but shows room to grow. He's young, he will and I do think his potential is greater than Tolzien's, but that potential might be a year or 2 away yet.

19. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Apparently the complexity of the Packers offense has eluded you. BTW, does "almost anyone" include Graham Harrell or BJ Coleman? Thank goodness the Packers learned their lesson even if some fans haven't.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +145
    I don't really even want to think about backup QB's. If Rodgers is lost....the season is lost ! I would imagine in 2013 that ticket prices plummeted for the games Rodgers missed

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,640
    If Rodgers is lost for the season the Packers will for sure not contend for the Super Bowl. If he misses some games though at some point during the regular season it's imperative to have a backup capable of winning some games to keep the team in playoff contention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    By not known, you mean that 50% means.....what?!? Under McCarthy's tenure, it goes back and forth between 2 and 3 QBs on the 53 man roster with the third stashed on the practice squad in the lean years. Five seasons with 2 quarterbacks and five seasons with 3 quarterbacks.

Prior to McCarthy it was even more common to keep a third quarterback on the 53. Wolf was always developing someone to trade: Brunnel, Brooks, Hasselback, Detmer, Rubley....okay the last one was for laughs.

23. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    One never knows. In five years the Packers could be releasing Rodgers due to age/injury/salary and Hundley could be the starter. Sounds far-fetched but so did telling Favre to take a hike.

24. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +964
    Rodgers was borderline awful when he made his preseason debut. Hundley has topped that already. Whether it translates to long-term success remains to be seen.

My hypothesis is that Tolzien moves-on after this season to one of the 16 or so teams that are perpetually QB starved. Hundley moves-up to the #2 spot and somebody else takes the vacated #3 spot, maybe the kid from Whitewater if somebody else does not grab him for their 53 after he's cut next Tuesday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    Any team that is in the playoffs is contending for the super bowl imo. My negative thoughts about Tolzien come from watching him. I think he is slow, I think his accuracy is not good enough and I think in crunch time he will make the big mistake. This is if he is lucky enough to be in the game where the score is close...which I doubt. I said almost anyone is better because if we are using him...I don't think we can win. I hope I am wrong.