1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Humphrey Bogart Box Set.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Bogart, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    As you can probably tell from my name, Bogie is my all time favorite actor, and I am a huge fan of classic films.

So this is what my birthday check went to

[​IMG]

I got a deal on it from TCM, and after watching 5 films from this set, I am very impressed. So I wrote a review on this box set, and figured I'd share it with those interested on this forum before I post it around the net.

My review right here.

Overall I love this box, and for those that are interested, here is the list of films featured, and I have also listed the co-stars.

The Petrified Forest(Bette Davis, Leslie Howard)
    Black Legion
    Kid Galahad (Edward G Robinson)
    Marked Woman (Bette Davis)
    San Quentin (Pat O'Brien)
    The Amazing Dr. Clitter House (Edward G Robinson)
    Dark Victory (Bette Davis)
    Invisible Stripes (George Raft)
    Brother Orchid (Edward G Robinson)
    They Drive By Night (George Raft, Ida Lupino)
    Virginia City (Errol Flynn)
    All Through The Night (Conrad Viedt, Peter Lorre)
    High Sierra (Ida Lupino)
    The Maltese Falcon (Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet, Mary Astor)
    Casablanca (Ingrid Bergman, Sydney Greenstreet, Claude Rains)
    Across the Pacific (Sydney Greenstreet, Mary Astor)
    Action in the North Atlantic (Raymond Massey)
    Passage to Marsielle (Peter Lorre, Claude Rains, Sydney Greenstreet)
    To Have and Have Not (Lauren Bacall)
    The Big Sleep (Lauren Bacall)
    Dark Passage (Lauren Bacall)
    Key Largo (Lauren Bacall)
    The Treasure of Sierra Madre (Walter Huston)

Now Warner Brothers knows it and like my review says, if only they would have added something from the vault that was unreleased, this box set would be worth more than a hundred dollars (as it's listed on TCM).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    A question and a comment.
    It doesn't include The African Queen?

I'm not a Bogart fan, but I can't help but have a feeling of respect for you based on your screenname, avatar and football knowledge and insight.

3. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    No, the African Queen was through united Artists studios I believe, and I think it belongs in this box (along with The Caine Mutiny) but they were on other studios.

Sadly I checked the disc of the Big Sleep and it's the only defect in the box, as the movies is on the disc, except it's the 1945 pre-cut version and not the 1946 final edition.

Still a pretty good collection. If it were really the "essential" I think then it would need The African Queen, The Caine Mutiny, and Dead Reckoning all 3 belong in a set like this.

4. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    I need to tune into TMC!!...I've not seen a single one of those movies... wait...I did see part of The African Queen!

5. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Sounds like you need to get this set so you can enjoy some good quality flicks that beat ANY of the junk coming out of Hollywood today.

• Like Like x 1
  6. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    really I do !! I do want to see alot of those, especially Casablanca!

7. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Watch TCM any time you get a chance.

This box set is wonderful but there are some films not included that I highly recommended.

In A Lonely Place, for starters I would highly recommend this film, and I know Warner would have added it to the box had they owned the rights to it, it's film noir at it's finest moment.

This was the "Golden Era" of movie making, and without all the modern wonders of 3D CGI it was amazing how much they focused on the storyline of the movie unlike they do today.

Dark Passage is one of my favorites included in this set, and it's artistically unique for the limited amount of effects in 1947. They didn't have all the make up or masks to make his face look different, so instead they went creative by filming the first hour in first person view before Vince gets plastic surgery. For something so old, it's very impressive how well done it is, keeping the suspense level high in the story.

8. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    This is my Bogie collection outside of that box set

[​IMG]

I collect all kinds of classic "Golden Era of Hollywood" movies. I've got a good chunk of Bogart's entire catalog, but missing a few of the ones you can't go without, like The Desperate Hours, The African Queen, and Sabrina.

I'm really trying to get a hold of Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck. If anyone else on this board collects the classics let me know, I have yet to actually meet someone that collects older films.