Humor: 2010 NFL Draft Grades Revisited

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to analyze anything. I don't subscribe to the 3 year theory, only to call a player a bust. But after 2 weeks? That's just crazy, specially since you haven't seen them practice or play. Too early to call Kindle, Huges and JPP misses, and say that Bulaga, Neal and Burnett were hits. After week 2, Matthews wasn't even playing, he was a backup of BRADY POPPINGA.

From early on, our guys SEEM like hits, but too soon.

Look at it this way, they gave Starks a B grade. What if he can never contribute to the team? That would be an F, just like Harrell...

Might have a bigger kick with the 2009 draft grades. I know I do when I see Mike Mayock (a.k.a. queen fan) saying that Robert Ayers was the best defensive player in that draft...

The 2008, some gave Brohm a B+. Would also give an F. But Finley wasn't given much love, and him at the 3rd round was an A++...

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to analyze anything. I don't subscribe to the 3 year theory, only to call a player a bust. But after 2 weeks? That's just crazy, specially since you haven't seen them practice or play. Too early to call Kindle, Huges and JPP misses, and say that Bulaga, Neal and Burnett were hits. After week 2, Matthews wasn't even playing, he was a backup of BRADY POPPINGA.

From early on, our guys SEEM like hits, but too soon.

Look at it this way, they gave Starks a B grade. What if he can never contribute to the team? That would be an F, just like Harrell...

Might have a bigger kick with the 2009 draft grades. I know I do when I see Mike Mayock (a.k.a. queen fan) saying that Robert Ayers was the best defensive player in that draft...

The 2008, some gave Brohm a B+. Would also give an F. But Finley wasn't given much love, and him at the 3rd round was an A++...

Mayock is hit and miss. Although I think he does extensive work on players studying the coaches tape. Many others don't bother to put in the time needed to come up with at least somewhat of an accurate scouting report. He sure can spot the heavy legged waist benders. The 2009 draft evaluation wasn't his crowning glory. His highest rated player was OLB Aaron Curry. Besides Ayers he also had man crushes on DE/OLB Aaron Maybin and OT Jamon Meredith(remember him) 5th round steal of the draft. Most of the draft evaluaters are good at placing a value grade on a player based off the NFL combine. What their missing is backround check info and they just don't have the time to watch all the college games to properly scout a player.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a few tidbits on the 2010 draft. Not sure if this should go in the draft forum but since I'm responding to this subject I'll reply here. The Packers had 3 objectives leading up to the draft. They wanted to come out of it with OT, safety and DE stout enough to play the run in the 3/4 and also be a disruptive force as an inside rusher on passing downs. They targeted 2 players in the first round(S Eric Berry, OT Anthony Davis) and tried to trade up to get either. Just didn't have the ammo. Both were gone by the time their selection came up. Surprised to see Bulaga available, they took little time turning in their card. The next day they tried desperately to trade up higher in the 2nd. The guy they wanted was DT Brian Price. And they wanted him badly. Many thought they were trying to trade up for Taylor Mays but that was always a smokescreen. I had to laugh at Thompson showing so much interest in Mays during his workouts. Unfortunely they couldn't get a trade done and Price was gone as well as the back up plan safety Nate Allen. Things weren't going well on day 2 and now defensive lineman are starting to drop like dominos. They wanted a DL and they took Neal. I don't think they were doing cartwheels after the Neal selection. I believe Capers and defensive line coach were getting a little skittish watching all the DL come off the board and together they pleaded with Thompson. With the safeties they coveted most(Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Nate Allen and T. J. Ward) already gone and Thompson worrying the Bears would take Burnett he decided to trade up in the 3rd just in front of the Bears. They ended up getting their OT, S, and DE but I believe there was a lot of panic, scrambling and regrouping going on in the war room over those 1st two days.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayock is hit and miss. Although I think he does extensive work on players studying the coaches tape. Many others don't bother to put in the time needed to come up with at least somewhat of an accurate scouting report. He sure can spot the heavy legged waist benders. The 2009 draft evaluation wasn't his crowning glory. His highest rated player was OLB Aaron Curry. Besides Ayers he also had man crushes on DE/OLB Aaron Maybin and OT Jamon Meredith(remember him) 5th round steal of the draft. Most of the draft evaluaters are good at placing a value grade on a player based off the NFL combine. What their missing is backround check info and they just don't have the time to watch all the college games to properly scout a player.
Yeah, reports are that the only "TV person" scouts respect is Mayock, because, good or bad as he is, he has access to film, and has contacts inside the college ranks.

But I don't like his evaluation, not one bit. It seems like he's pressing sometimes to come up with a guy that nobody saw but him. It was Ayers that year, it was Earl Thomas ahead of Eric Berry this year.
Just a few tidbits on the 2010 draft. Not sure if this should go in the draft forum but since I'm responding to this subject I'll reply here. The Packers had 3 objectives leading up to the draft. They wanted to come out of it with OT, safety and DE stout enough to play the run in the 3/4 and also be a disruptive force as an inside rusher on passing downs. They targeted 2 players in the first round(S Eric Berry, OT Anthony Davis) and tried to trade up to get either. Just didn't have the ammo. Both were gone by the time their selection came up. Surprised to see Bulaga available, they took little time turning in their card. The next day they tried desperately to trade up higher in the 2nd. The guy they wanted was DT Brian Price. And they wanted him badly. Many thought they were trying to trade up for Taylor Mays but that was always a smokescreen. I had to laugh at Thompson showing so much interest in Mays during his workouts. Unfortunely they couldn't get a trade done and Price was gone as well as the back up plan safety Nate Allen. Things weren't going well on day 2 and now defensive lineman are starting to drop like dominos. They wanted a DL and they took Neal. I don't think they were doing cartwheels after the Neal selection. I believe Capers and defensive line coach were getting a little skittish watching all the DL come off the board and together they pleaded with Thompson. With the safeties they coveted most(Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Nate Allen and T. J. Ward) already gone and Thompson worrying the Bears would take Burnett he decided to trade up in the 3rd just in front of the Bears. They ended up getting their OT, S, and DE but I believe there was a lot of panic, scrambling and regrouping going on in the war room over those 1st two days.
Solid info.

They may have ended up with very quality players in the process, though.

P.S.: lol at people thinking he would take Taylor Mays. Awful. Just awful. He's not afraid to hit, but he can't do anything else...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all depends on the player if you are going to make a judgement call on him in a certain time frame. Steve young would be a good example. Aaron rodgers. James Harrison. Nothing is set in stone, even Harrell could rebound with another team. So yeah week 2 isnt finished so it seems a little early. Kindle fell down the stairs (according to him) and might not play this year, so any judgment on him needs to be held off for at least 2 years. It can also go the other way, how many guys have you seen an early explosion from and then nothing 2 years later?

Members online

Latest posts