HUGE GAME THURSDAY-Time to move on

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the only ones beating a drum about last week are the fans and the players are now totally focused on the Bears.
This now becomes a HUGE game for the Packers.
1-1 with a division win vs. 0-2 in NFC games and down 2 to the Bears. Plus two home losses. HUGE GAME.
It goes beyond the numbers. The Bears are a similar team to the 49'rs in that they have improved at WR and are a physical team. If we lose this game and lose the physical battle again it will not be good for this team. On the other hand if the Packers go out there and match them hit for hit and improve on the defensive side of the ball it could put the mindset right where it needs to be.

It's always big to beat the Bears but I cannot remember a game against them this early being as important as this one.

Justanobserver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the only ones beating a drum about last week are the fans and the players are now totally focused on the Bears.
This now becomes a HUGE game for the Packers.
1-1 with a division win vs. 0-2 in NFC games and down 2 to the Bears. Plus two home losses. HUGE GAME.
It goes beyond the numbers. The Bears are a similar team to the 49'rs in that they have improved at WR and are a physical team. If we lose this game and lose the physical battle again it will not be good for this team. On the other hand if the Packers go out there and match them hit for hit and improve on the defensive side of the ball it could put the mindset right where it needs to be.

It's always big to beat the Bears but I cannot remember a game against them this early being as important as this one.
Big win for the Pack Thursday night. The Bears are going to get blown out! They are not playing the Dolts with a rookie QB and a new defensive scheme. Urlacher is damaged goods at this point and Lovie's D depends on him to patrol the middle of the field. His knee is toast, and he won't be able to move the way he is supposed to. Tillman probably won't play much if at all. Cutler is an interception waiting to happen, plus they have the worst OL in the league.

1. 2+ Cutler picks
  2. 4+sacks
  3. 27+ points for the pack
  4. Lovie will be pissed, but he won't foam at the mouth like that fool Harbaugh:)

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears had an easy opening game (as did the rest of the division, even the Vikings). I thing the first game was largely growing pains with a bunch of rooks on defense. Granted we don't get a full week of rest, but I think the team will be pretty amped to get out there and play and win, particularly after such a awful first week.

KManx89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^Agreed, though granted, I DID see some things from our defense during our preseason games (particularly our preseason game against Cincinnati, where we held them to less than 200 yards even with our backups playing against their starters for part of the 2nd half) that I didn't recall seeing at all during 2011, namely the pass rush. Secondary I thought played better, too, but still iffy at times.

That being said, the 9ers loss will get us motivated for this game, having played a vastly superior opponent while they came off an easy win I think will really put our mindset where it needs to be to win this game, and let's face it, the Bears D is nowhere near as dominant as the 9ers vaunted defense (all 4 DBs who can ball vs. only 1 on CHI--Charles Tillman), and their OL can't protect nearly as well, either (and we still got 4 sacks on Alex Smith, so expect Cutler to be chased around quite a bit this Thursday, LOL). We saw how much Rodgers came out guns blazin' against the Bears the following week after the tough loss to KC last year, he threw for 4-5 TDs on the Christmas day game. Much like the Giants-Bucs game, however, I think this game will be a good indication of the direction of our team as far as the playoffs are concerned. If *God forbid* we lose this game, then I may really start to worry, and who can honestly blame me if that happens? I think we'll rebound, though, and win big. 35-24 Packers victory.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game is in no means must win, but it is a very big game for both teams, especially the packers. Could you imagine our fourm if they went 0-2? People will be going insane haha.

I think this game will come down to the wire though, with crosby kicking the game winner.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This really will be more of a signature game for the Packers than last Sunday.

SF is the class of the NFC right now and maybe the whole league. No doubt Chi's offense is going to be better than last year--how could it be worse? But I don't see Chi's defense being anywhere near what SF has. Plus Chi's OL is pretty bad. But that means that things we've been waiting for are going to have to appear:

1) a real pass rush. This defense had better be able to put pressure on Cutler.
2) some real tackling. Chi's ground game is no joke. If AJ Turkey and DJ Smith can't plug some holes I'm ready to go on a Turkey shoot. If the Bears are able to grind it out against this defense Packers could be in for a long day.
3) Rodgers and the offense are going to have to shake off this hangover from late last season and show that they are still as explosive as we've seen in the past. Rodgers needs to look like an elite QB, not a middle of the road one. And goddamit, Marshall Newhouse needs to prove that he can be a real LT. (Please Derrick Sherrod, come back 100% soon and show us that you're the man!)

Reaction score
This game in no means must win
I believe it is. The Pack needs to not only send a message that we are still a team to be reckoned with, but move one up on a NFC North rival. It's always easier to win the games earlier in the season than play catch up at the end. 16 games is not a long season.

KManx89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^Maybe not, but MAN will this game put us in a bad spot going forward if we lose. Then we'll be 0-2 heading to Seattle, which is always a tough place to win at, and we could potentially start the season 0-3 if all holds. Imagine what that'll do to us mentally if we start the season 0-2 heading to Qwest Field for week 3.

But like I said, I think we'll win because the Bears D is not the vaunted Niners defense, even less so with a hampered Urlacher (he'll never be 100% again after his knee injury), and the Bears O-Line is the worst in the NFL. And even with our D being every bit as **** poor as last year (up until the 4th quarter), we still had a chance to tie it up and potentially win in OT at the end (yes, we had some points gifted to us on that blown block-in-the-back call reversal on the RC PR, but SF was also awarded points on 3 straight false start no calls and a phantom RTP call on Matthews). If we could just play some damn man coverage this week instead of playing that crappy zone defense all game, our defense might actually not be half bad.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thinking goes pretty much along the lines of consensus here. No way the Bears D is what we saw from the 49rs. The game will be physical though and I think it's extremely important we don't lose that battle. Oline and D need to get nasty and take it personal.
Aside from all the analysis we just physically got beat upfront on both sides of the ball. I think McCarthy would have his hands full if that were to happen again from a mindset and confidence standpoint. They didn't win all these games the last couple years being *****'s so they need to draw from that and go knock some people down Thursday night.

That would make the world right again.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not a must win, but its up there for us. Cuntler has a **** poor record against the Pack though.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...essage-for-packers-defensive-backs-good-luck/

And so as the Bears prepare to head to Lambeau Field for a Thursday nighter with a bigger and better group of receivers and with the Packers sporting a defense that has developed a bad habit of giving up more than 30 points per game at home, Cutler has a message for defensive backs who previously stifled Bears receivers by covering them man-to-man and jamming them at the line of scrimmage.

Good luck.”

That’s what Cutler said Tuesday, via our pal John Mullin of CSNChicago.com. “We invite press coverage,” Cutler said. “We welcome it.”

They especially welcome it now that they have big receivers, like Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey.

“It’s all about matchups,” Marshall said. “I’m 6-5, 230 pounds and there’s not too many DB’s walking around that big. If they want to get physical, I do welcome that.”

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's as simple as this: It is time for the Packers to play like the class of the league. It is time to going back to winning games. Let's start on Thursday night.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
With the short week, if we lose, it'll just mean we got off to a slow start this year. If we can get it together by the Seahawks we'll be fine.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Have you guy's seen our pass rush? just asking.
You do remember that the 49ers had three first round picks on that line, and they weren't too low either, right? You do remember that the bears have a line as bad as ours, with a LT who might as well lie on his back as soon as the ball is snapped? Just asking.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you?

Packers currently #2 in sacks and have the NFL sack leader.

I was going to say that pass rush wise we weren't bad considering how well they ran the ball and that allowed for the play action to work. They do have a good offensive line so to get 4 when they have things going their way ain't bad.

We have to stop the run. I have said before the recognition and pursuit and lane assignment stuff needs to get better. We have to get guys cutting through the line and disrupting and not letting offensive lines get to their blocks.

The bottom line is our O and D lines need to step up the intensity and understand it's destroy or be destroyed because they got put down by guys who came much more ready to play. I happen to like most of the guys on the O line and think they are good football players. They just need to think this is WAR and they will be fine.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the bears game,and their d-line Peppers didn't get to Luck like he wanted colts o-line kept him up right most of the game Cutler is in for a suprise because our d-line up front is what is going to rattle him,because didn't they move Clay to right side? Then you have Perry Walden will be back it will be a differnt game a win 4 the pack,and Beson will have a good day think he will he a t.d. by the way they did a goood job at keeping Hester in check,little things help .:)

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett better man up tonight.

The d needs to get some early hits on jay. I don't even care if 1 draws a flag. He hates getting hit like no other.

Finley should be able to exploit urlacher. He has lost a step with his age and bad wheel.

Getting walden back will be nice. Francois hopefully sees some action as he can cover when needed.

I hope capers makes some adjustments and keeps them guessing. If tramon and bush play 10 yds of Marshall and Hester and perry draws coverage duty on Jeffrey, Davis or bennett it is going to be a long night. Perry can rush and clay can absolutely cover with his speed....just saying.

No more mental errors and blown coverages. No more.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett better man up tonight.

Getting walden back will be nice. Francois hopefully sees some action as he can cover when needed.

I hope capers makes some adjustments and keeps them guessing. If tramon and bush play 10 yds of Marshall and Hester and perry draws coverage duty on Jeffrey, Davis or bennett it is going to be a long night. Perry can rush and clay can absolutely cover with his speed....just saying.

No more mental errors and blown coverages. No more.
Burnett does need to get his head a bit straighter, but I also think some of that was Smith.
Yay Walden's back! Now the special teams... well, not much changes.
With his speed Perry could cover, the problem is he looks a bad as Bush in coverage. If Perry is forced into coverage, it means we're having a very bad night. Just sayin.

Staff online

Latest posts