1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

HOW WOULD YOU EXPLAIN THIS?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by MontanaBob, Sep 22, 2006.

1. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The other night some friends of ours from back in the mid-west visited us on their annual "tour" of the country. (retired...lots of $$$$) We took them to a restaurant that is across Lolo Pass in Idaho. At the Pass the time zone changes to Pacific Time and we gained an hour. Voila, 5:00 became 4:00. Everybody with me? This is only 30 miles from our house, and I stated "See, we are in a time warp. We arrived at the restaurant before we left our home."
    We had left our home at 5:30 our time and arrived at 5:05 their time. This went right over the wife's head and by the end of the dinner we had her thoroughly confused. She couldn't grasp the time zone thing. We had some good laughs, but I got to thinking....how do you explain this to someone who is mathematically/numbers challenged, and blond to boot?

Sorry blonds, but she defines all the jokes.

2. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Just tell her as long as she stays in Idaho she'll be an hour younger!!!

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,480
    Did you literally show her a clock with the time you left then change it to reflect the new time?

4. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought of that but my watch is digital and the clock in the restaurant was about 15 feet up on a wall. She knew there was time changes, but couldn't seem to grasp the idea that we were so close to one. It was kind of funny and we didn't help by egging her on with the clock jokes. I guess she lives by Central Standard Time, and nothing is going to change that.

5. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would start by definine the function of the little and big hands on a watch. I will say, it is hard to imagine someone with functioning grey matter not understand the concept.

Seriously though, pull out the phone book and show her the time zone map. After that, you can get into the intricacies of the earth's orbit of the sun and its 360 degree rotation over a 24 hour span....hence, the differing angle of the sun on various places require the change to assure there is daylight during am hours and darkness during pm hours.

For demonstration, get a basketball and a flashlight. Replicate the orbit and daylight/night. Should help.

6. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

I'm sure this would work but then you might spend 4 hours explaining how that light comes out of that tube you're holding :lol:

7. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Uh,....exactly how does it come out of that tube? Why is it called light? Maybe it's a "dark sucker" and is sucking all the darkness into that tube.

Why is that little round, flat thing with a hole in the center called a "washer" when it doesn't wash anything? Huh?

TGIF!!

8. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good one DePack....nice that you are bringing a smile to my face after weeks of making me cringe!! LOL

"Well, see...the concept of the dry cell battery dates back to..........."

"You might remember this guy from history class....Thomas Edison....who played aroung with illuminating filaments.........."

Stoopid me!!

9. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh man, this is getting to deep for me. I'm checking out and heading over to Spokane and check out the Gonzaga chicks. And to see the play "Chicago." Can I boo and hiss when the Bears come out?

Digs....I think I had illuminating fillaments for dinner last night as I sure
    "illuminated" the bathroom afterwards.

10. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh....Montana.....way to set the weekend off.

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    THEN she would be asking...."What time zone is "NBA" in???" :wink: :lol:

12. tjb2

tjb2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You could explain it geometrically, Montana. But it would only work if the person had a sense of where in the sky the sun is at noon. Otherwise, forget it.

If this friend claimed not to understand time zones, they were pulling your leg.

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't be too sure! Not everyone gets it when it comes to "time zone" changes. If you never went from one time zone to another, you probably never would have paid it any attention, or cared to understand it. In the UP of Michigan, it's a different time zone, but in Iron Mountain Michigan, they said the HECK with it and stayed on Central time.

14. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    clearly tjb2 hasn't met ME yet!! i honest to goodness did NOT know that the sun rises in the east & sets in the west until my senior year of high school!! yes, i am blonde. it just wasn't something i ever thought about i guess - just like a flittery little social butterfly blonde chick would act, huh?

15. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :shock: Your kidding, huh?

Hey MB, you really want some fun ? Try to explain the the concept of the International Dateline!

Tonga and Samoa have the same time but are (1) day apart, as Samoa is in the Western Hemisphere, on the opposite side of the International Dateline from Tonga.
    :D

16. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    what part of 'honest to goodness' didn't you understand, vikesrule?? i am totally serious!!! in fact, i STILL have to think about it & make sure i get it right. thank goodness our house sits directly north/south otherwise, i'd be even MORE confused!! crrrrrazy, isn't it?? :D

17. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I believe you.

[​IMG]

We all have difficulty with some concepts, like why would anyone be a Packer Fan. :D :eek: :D

18. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    cute, vikesrule!! :rotflmao: