How would we fare with Harrell?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has been pretty resilient...even more than I thought he would be, but how do you think we would fare with Harrell at QB? For sure a lot would depend on the improvement of the defense but I think Harrell would give us a fighting chance. After all he's a system QB ;). I think we could still be a playoff team with him starting.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn's performance against Detroit last year seems like reason for optimism.

My expectations for Harrell would be measured but I'll bet he can orchestrate a couple drives against most NFL defenses. He might struggle with third-and-long (i.e., the offense might stall) but he should be able to deliver those short, quick passes to receivers on slant routes that keep the sticks moving. It's never been easier to pass across the middle than in today's NFL.

We're not built to lean on the run, so I hope that conservative play calling and quality receivers will help Harrell carry the load.

All of this is speculative of course, reflecting my confidence in the Packer organization to develop a competent backup QB that will execute well enough to give the team a puncher's chance...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have alot of confidence in him. If Rodgers went down early in the season I would be licking my chops for a top 5 pick on the defensive side.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be unrealistic to expect much success with Harrell. Sure, he might catch lightning in a bottle, but I'd look at his season more as a developmental season.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Harrell all the time at Texas Tech and he was good in their system. That said, I don't think he would make a starting QB in the NFL and given the same team Rodgers had last year I think we would have gone 8-8.

weebles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pretty much look at it as the seasons over if any starting QB gets injured for the season. Unless you have a defense that could hold GB to 0 points in a game...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t have enough data to base an opinion on this topic upon. My guess is Harrell will benefit from all the off season sessions that he missed last off season and he’ll benefit even more by his increased snaps in TC and pre season games. At that point we will at least have some evidence of his ability to lead the offense, or lack thereof. If Rodgers can’t play for more than a few games, or if he can’t suit up for playoff games, title hopes go out the window no matter who the backup is – even Flynn last season IMO. For me, the reason to be mildly optimistic about Harrell taking over for Rodgers for no more than a few games is Mike McCarthy has designed one of the best offenses in the NFL and he and Tom Clements have trained Harrell and they appear to have confidence in him.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I think the Pack should give Justin Harrell one more chance. He was on the verge of greatness.

Oh, wait...

Latest posts