Votes: 15 48.4%
  • need to see a few more games with out before deciding

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ we could always go get ol' "shoot myself in the leg" Plaxico burris....lol...isn't he like 6'6" and looking for a job? lol....j/k...we don't need his drama.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm assuming no one saw the LA tech game sat night but they have a WR named Patton who absolutely destroyed Texas AnM. 21 catches and was constantly drawing flags for pass interference. No idea what round he will go in but I was salivating at the thought of him in GB

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of things here:

#1, People who say Jones drops balls.... here's a scoop for you: everyone does! I know Jones dropped a few BIG ones, but so has Driver, Jordy, Finley, Jennings. The fact that Jones is so often in position to make big plays tells you how good he is.
I find it funny that some fans only remember Finley and Jones' drops, but fail to remember the drops from Donald, Greg, and Jordy.

#2- Jennings is not old. I think he's about 5 years younger than Reggie Wayne, who showed just 2 weeks ago he can still be great. Jennings can be like that.

Trade Finley (and his $8 mil next year) to someone and keep Jennings around at least one more year.

Female Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to wait to post this, but after last night I thought let's get the pulse...

Do we HAVE to sign him at all?

Or do we still need to sign him?

Depending on how long this injury lasts, his price may drop to more doable numbers

My vote is still need to see a few more games w/o him playing....I would LOVE to say we do not need him...

However----With JJ playing lights out...Think of this line up and what opposing defenses have to do to cover.

Jennings-Jordy-JJ-Cobb
JJ is playing well, but he is no Jennings. The packers lack a true #1 receiver without Jennings.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you need a true #1 receiver when your QB can paint the other team with six TD throws - without Jennings in the lineup?

As someone pointed out, Finley really has nothing to do with Jennings. Finely will walk. Rodgers doesn't use the TE like most QBs so he will be just fine with Williams, Quarless, and Crabtree. When was the last big Finley game? Early in the 2011 season against the Bears?

Jennings will balance against Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji. We have depth at WR but no similar depth at QB, OLB, or DL. While it's great to say that we need to "keep our WR core together" or that Jennings is our #1, you can't have your cake and eat it too. That's why we pay TT the big dollars to balance out our team. The Yankees can afford everyone they want but that's not possible in the NFL. TT will likely have to let Jennings walk as well unless he agrees to minimal pay. He needs to spend his cap on more important positions.

Reaction score
No production out of driver. No production out of Jennings. I'm not too worried about it. Ted will draft a WR, and someone will get more playing time who is already on the roster.
Look what happens though the last time we played against great corners without Jennings. We lost to the Chiefs. Nobody could get open. And yes. Driver isn't producing, but Jennings isn't really producing because he and Finley are taking up the attention. Last week, the one time someone was actually open, Rodgers missed him (Jones). Every other pass was as perfectly covered as they could. I think Jennings will end up getting some 30 some million dollar deal with the Packers. His injuries might be enough to lower the contract or make other teams more hesitant to sign a big deal. We will see what happens eventually

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
You either sign him or trade him because knowing our luck he would go to the vikings or bears like normal and end up tearing us apart when we played them.

Female Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you need a true #1 receiver when your QB can paint the other team with six TD throws - without Jennings in the lineup?

As someone pointed out, Finley really has nothing to do with Jennings. Finely will walk. Rodgers doesn't use the TE like most QBs so he will be just fine with Williams, Quarless, and Crabtree. When was the last big Finley game? Early in the 2011 season against the Bears?

Jennings will balance against Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji. We have depth at WR but no similar depth at QB, OLB, or DL. While it's great to say that we need to "keep our WR core together" or that Jennings is our #1, you can't have your cake and eat it too. That's why we pay TT the big dollars to balance out our team. The Yankees can afford everyone they want but that's not possible in the NFL. TT will likely have to let Jennings walk as well unless he agrees to minimal pay. He needs to spend his cap on more important positions.
Do you seriously think that Rodgers is going to play like he did vs the texans all season? Rodgers was possessed in that game. Don't let one great game persuade you into thinking that our wr core is great.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you seriously think that Rodgers is going to play like he did vs the texans all season? Rodgers was possessed in that game. Don't let one great game persuade you into thinking that our wr core is great.
Here's the thing, and this was re-inforced to me last year in our win at the Giants.
Every game is a clean slate.
There are plays to be made every game, some games have more than others.

For the WR, sometimes they pull em in, sometimes they don't. At NYG, our guys made great catches. In the rematch, our guys dropped passes. And the Giants WR's made plays.

We didn't fumble in NY, but we did in GB in the rematch.....

Now some games Rodgers misses. Some he's on fire.
Some games the guys are barely open or not open, sometimes wide open.
Some games they get tons of pressure on Rodgers. Some they don't.

That's why they play the games.

I just want to see some more YAC from our WRs soon, from someone other than Cobb.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My faith is getting restored while at the same time, I'll just take 'em one game at a time.
We shouldn't forget Indy (Or KC from last season) even if they play a 0-10 team.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is a great player and Packers best receiver, but it looks like life can go on without him. If you really think about it, the Packers have experienced "life without Jennings" for the past 10 games or so. If somebody steps up, such as James Jones keeping up his current level of play, Jennings can be lost in free agency. Hopefully Finley or DJ Williams becomes a legit threat. The Packers can also legitimately use a first or second round pick on a receiver if necessary.

A good example is the New England Patriots. The Patriots consistently have a dynamic offense with Wes Welker, a prototypical slot receiver, as their best receiver. New England won three Super Bowls with Deon Branch as their best receiver.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why there is any conversation about letting Jennings go.
Is there some talk among the Packers and Jennings that I'm not aware of?
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jennings one of our awesome receivers?
We could use all the weapons we can get. Especially while sitting at 3-3.
So did Jennings do something to **** off some fans?
Why even think of letting him go?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not this year. Jennings is a free agent after the season. The Packers can't keep Jennings, Rodgers, Matthews and Raji. It looks like Jennings would be the odd man out.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign him. Jennings is the kind of player that puts an offense that has the potential to be elite over the top. We already have offensive depth with our receiving core and Jennings takes us to the next level.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We can't afford him, his age, and his recent injury history make him a risky extension

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't understand why there is any conversation about letting Jennings go. ... So did Jennings do something to **** off some fans? Why even think of letting him go?
No offense but I don't understand how someone who posts here as much as you do doesn't understand the basic issue that Jennings' contract expires this season and...
Sign him. Jennings is the kind of player that puts an offense that has the potential to be elite over the top. We already have offensive depth with our receiving core and Jennings takes us to the next level.
Re-signing Jennings will require a lot of cash and cap space. Tagging him for one year will take up more cap space in 2013 than signing him multiple years. If there were no cap this would be a no-brainer but the cap is in place. Would you advocate signing Jennings over Matthews? Over Raji? That's the kind of choice Thompson faces. Of those three IMO Jennings is more replaceable - and I like Jennings a lot.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love Greg Jennings. The guy is pure heart and is a tremendous leader in the locker room, but I feel like this is another prime example of fans over-valuing the players on our team.

A comment earlier put it best when they said Jennings is a very good receiver, but he's not elite. He's not the kind of guy you absolutely have to keep on your team in order to be successful and win games, and the money he's projected to be asking for is likely going to be better spent re-signing some of the cornerstone pieces of this team in Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re-signing Jennings will require a lot of cash and cap space. Tagging him for one year will take up more cap space in 2013 than signing him multiple years. If there were no cap this would be a no-brainer but the cap is in place. Would you advocate signing Jennings over Matthews? Over Raji? That's the kind of choice Thompson faces. Of those three IMO Jennings is more replaceable - and I like Jennings a lot.

Agree completely. We proved last week we could be pretty explosive and dynamic without Jennings in the lineup. Jennings is a very good wideout, but he's not so good that he isn't replaceable.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Greg Jennings. The guy is pure heart and is a tremendous leader in the locker room, but I feel like this is another prime example of fans over-valuing the players on our team.

A comment earlier put it best when they said Jennings is a very good receiver, but he's not elite. He's not the kind of guy you absolutely have to keep on your team in order to be successful and win games, and the money he's projected to be asking for is likely going to be better spent re-signing some of the cornerstone pieces of this team in Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.
OK
I'm getting it now.
Thanx for the replies to explain to me what's going on with Jennings.

I would rather see him leave on his own terms.
If that can't be the case then that's just the way it goes, I guess.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If they let him walk, will this be the 1st one of Teds main guys that they let go?

I guess Ryan Grant would be too, but I dont really put him in that same class as Jennings..

Looking into it more found 2 others...

Daryn Colledge, same draft as Jennings, and then Brandon Jackson

Reaction score
I'm in no way of letting Raji go, but after seeing us dismantle Arian Foster without him I'm not as worried as I was before if we lost him for some reason.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Look what happens though the last time we played against great corners without Jennings. We lost to the Chiefs. Nobody could get open. And yes. Driver isn't producing, but Jennings isn't really producing because he and Finley are taking up the attention. Last week, the one time someone was actually open, Rodgers missed him (Jones). Every other pass was as perfectly covered as they could. I think Jennings will end up getting some 30 some million dollar deal with the Packers. His injuries might be enough to lower the contract or make other teams more hesitant to sign a big deal. We will see what happens eventually

C'mon man.....you can't even say Donald Driver aint producing....that's just an unfair statement...he does not get enough playing time with all the other weapons we have. He is there for depth. We can probably count on two hands how many plays he has been in for all season.....and he did catch a laser ball pass for a TD on his ghost like playing time.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will keep Jennings at least one more year. He will either agree to a deal or get the tag. Sombody mentioned earlier we don't have a true number 1 wr if Jennings leaves, however Rodgers is the type of qb who really doesn't need a #1 sure fire wr....just get open. I believe that Finley is as good as gone i also believe that TT will take another wr or tight end in the early rounds in next years draft. I wouldn't be shocked to see him take a tightend in the 1st round and wr in the 2nd.

Reaction score
C'mon man.....you can't even say Donald Driver aint producing....that's just an unfair statement...he does not get enough playing time with all the other weapons we have. He is there for depth. We can probably count on two hands how many plays he has been in for all season.....and he did catch a laser ball pass for a TD on his ghost like playing time.
Driver isn't producing.. I didn't say because of lack of skill :)... Look at when Driver has played... He already has a TD catch and a big catch on that last drive in Indy before Crosby missed the field goal

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts