How to spot a bandwagon GB Packers fan?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wore my Brett jersey at a IHOP near Waukegan Ill back near the end of 2005..

So yeah I am NOT a band wagon fan

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could start a list.

You just might be a Green Bay Packers bandwagon fan....
If anyone who is part of this forum and isn't active at least 3-4 times a week.
If you give that fan a poke. Blood red? Bandwagon fan.
If you did not burn your Brett Favre jersey when he went to the Vikings.
If you cannot point out Green Bay on a map. Blindfolded.
If you think that Lambeau Field is named after a corporation or product.
If you have a tattoo of another football team.

Unless the team is the UW Badgers!

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask them who was the QB before brett favre, or who invented the Lambeau Leap, or whats the greatest catch in MNF history. Pretty much anyone who has been following the team for 10+ years should know that.

QB B4 BF - Majik
Lambeau Leap inventor - LeRoy Butler
Greatest catch on MNF - Game winner against Vikings in OT.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
If they boooed Aaron Rodgers in training camp then all of sudden proclaim him to be "the best"

This. I seriously hate it anytime I'm reminded of this occurrence. I backed Aaron Rodgers from day 1, like many people, and reiterated to myself that when brett retired its about the Packers not individual players.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only bandwagon fans that **** me off are the Fraud fans who turned their backs on this team and openly rooted against them when Fraud played for the Vikings, only to return after we won the Super Bowl with Rodgers.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You might be a Packers bandwagon fan;
If you actually take the call from your Mother-in-law during the game.
If you take your Championship coat off BEFORE you enter the Steelers bar.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I would love to have seen that. LOL

...and I got the tickets from our parish priest... *sigh*. You know, at the time he was just another flippin' Bear ... NOW he's a Hall of Famer and a true great - the second best middle linebacker of all time.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After living near Minneapolis/St.Paul for many years, I can safely say that I have my "doctorate" in spotting the purple version of the bandwagon fan.

To anyone who shows up to Lambeau Field in a purple Favre jersey or better yet, the half purple/half green Farve jersey when the Vikings are NOT in town....you have the classic symptoms of bandwagon disease. I want to tell these lost, delusional souls to go due west and don't let the gates of Lambeau Field hit you on the way out! You will know that you are in the land of your new favorite team as soon as you see a large, white, toilet-bowl-like structure appear on the Minneapolis horizon. You are now in the home of football ineptitude and will be able to show your true colors amongst like-minded folks. Welcome to the greatest Bandwagon on Earth! :D

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might be a Green Bay Packers Bandwagon fan...
If you buy Packers merchandise only when it's on clearance or being discontinued.
If you immediately sell your memorabilia on ebay the moment the Packers drop to 3rd place.
If every time a player other than Aaron Rodgers gets mentioned by a commentator and you ask "Who is that?"
If you have never once in your life ever heard of Wisconsin and you think it's somewhere near Alaska.
If you think the title belt gesture originated because of the State Farm Discount Double Check.
If you don't get all that excited to receive a Bart Starr signed jersey from your Aunt Martha at Christmas.
If your in the end zone and a player does a Lambeau Leap right into your lap and you call 911 because you think your being mugged by the player!

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was anyone else at the Kid Rock concert prior to the game on opening night? He was telling the crowd what a huge Packer fan he was , how he played for the team at their party last year and how he hung out with and was friends with some of the players. He then proceeded to say, "...that Clay WALKER sure is crazy..."

You could have heard a pin drop. BAND WAGONEER!

With the recent Lions success, he is on the radio here in Detroit saying pretty much the same thing - big fan, favorite team, and how his buddy Jim Schwartz sure is wild.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a big difference between "bandwagon" and "fair weather" fans. Bandwagon fans are people who jump from team to team based on who's good at the time. Take Lil Wayne for example, during 2009 he was a huge Saints fan. Then as soon as the Packers go to the Super Bowl, he does the "Green and Yellow" rap and changes his allegiance to the Packers. That's a classic bandwagon fan right there.

A fair weather fan is a fan who always cheers for the same team, but only when they're doing well. Fair weather fans would be cheering for the Packers right now, but wouldn't have been paying close attention when they were 4-12 in 2005 or 6-10 in 2008.

Fair weather fans actually bother me less than bandwagon fans. Fair weather fans tend to simply not care as much about sports, which I'm fine with. Not everybody has that same passion. At least they're consistent with the team that they cheer for. Bandwagon fans are the ones who annoy me, people who have no real allegiance to any team and just jump around based on who's good at that moment. There's not really much integrity in that kind of fandom.

The great thing about the Packers is that there are very few fair weather fans in comparison to most of the other NFL teams. The Packers, the Steelers, the Bears and maybe a few other teams have fanbases that rally around their team no matter what their record is. But look at a team like the Patriots-- there were undoubtedly Patriots fans before 2001, but they never showed up to the games (they had much lower attendance percentages) and they cared far more about the Sox and Celtics. I'm sure that will go back to being the case once Brady and Belichick are gone.

Bandwagon fans are unavoidable, though. There's always going to be people who are gloryhunters. Like I said, they definitely annoy me more than fair weather fans, but there's not much you can do about it. The good thing about having a team with a lot of bandwagon fans is at least you know your team is doing well :D

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you spot a bandwagon GB Packers fan?

You can't really go by how much Packer-related stuff they own - poor or rich, this is everyone's team.
You can't tell by their knowledge of every stat to ever come out of Green Bay - some people are terrible at memorization, but they bleed Green and Gold.
You can't go by how long they've been a fan - maybe your neighbor is a future Green Bay convert for life.
You can't use internet forum membership as a gauge - I'm sure my Grandpa who's been a GB fan since the late 30s would think it's funny to even suggest that. (Right after someone explained to him what an "internet forum" is - or an "internet" for that matter...)

There's only one way to tell - and that's to see what people do when the team starts losing.

And since none of us want the Pack to start losing to test out that theory... I say we welcome the bandwagon fans while they're here, enjoy seeing Packers stickers and flags on everyone's cars while we can, and then in another ten years (when we're going through what we did in the 80's) we can see who's really in it for the long haul.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I ran into a guy in the store yesterday who noticed my Championship coat. He commented on how much he admired the Packers, then he told me he went to see then three times during the 80's and each time they lost. He said he loved the GB Hall of Fame and the stadium and the whole experience. He didn't even appear to be a Packers fan. He just got the tickets as part of a business trip or something. So what do we call someone who admires the Packers, but isn't a real fan??

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I ran into a guy in the store yesterday who noticed my Championship coat. He commented on how much he admired the Packers, then he told me he went to see then three times during the 80's and each time they lost. He said he loved the GB Hall of Fame and the stadium and the whole experience. He didn't even appear to be a Packers fan. He just got the tickets as part of a business trip or something. So what do we call someone who admires the Packers, but isn't a real fan??
stupid?

OP
OP
SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a big difference between "bandwagon" and "fair weather" fans. Bandwagon fans are people who jump from team to team based on who's good at the time. Take Lil Wayne for example, during 2009 he was a huge Saints fan. Then as soon as the Packers go to the Super Bowl, he does the "Green and Yellow" rap and changes his allegiance to the Packers. That's a classic bandwagon fan right there.

A fair weather fan is a fan who always cheers for the same team, but only when they're doing well. Fair weather fans would be cheering for the Packers right now, but wouldn't have been paying close attention when they were 4-12 in 2005 or 6-10 in 2008.

Fair weather fans actually bother me less than bandwagon fans. Fair weather fans tend to simply not care as much about sports, which I'm fine with. Not everybody has that same passion. At least they're consistent with the team that they cheer for. Bandwagon fans are the ones who annoy me, people who have no real allegiance to any team and just jump around based on who's good at that moment. There's not really much integrity in that kind of fandom.

The great thing about the Packers is that there are very few fair weather fans in comparison to most of the other NFL teams. The Packers, the Steelers, the Bears and maybe a few other teams have fanbases that rally around their team no matter what their record is. But look at a team like the Patriots-- there were undoubtedly Patriots fans before 2001, but they never showed up to the games (they had much lower attendance percentages) and they cared far more about the Sox and Celtics. I'm sure that will go back to being the case once Brady and Belichick are gone.

Bandwagon fans are unavoidable, though. There's always going to be people who are gloryhunters. Like I said, they definitely annoy me more than fair weather fans, but there's not much you can do about it. The good thing about having a team with a lot of bandwagon fans is at least you know your team is doing well :D

GREAT POST!

Excellent!, comparison between fairweather and bandwagon fans. :tup:

Members online

Latest posts