1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

How to spot a bandwagon GB Packers fan?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoCheese, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    It's easy to spot a bandwagon fan. When the team is losing, they are the fans you are looking for because they are nowhere to be found. They're usually the first to jump on the bandwagon and also the first to jump off if things go wrong. Look who is around when the team is 4-12, who is still wearing their gear with pride. It comes down to simple loyalty. Bandwagon fans are only loyal to the winning side.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    No one can ever accuse me of being a bandwagonner ... I hit Dick Butkus in the helmet with an ice ball (come on...I was only 13 at the time).

• Like Like x 4
  3. peteralan71

peteralan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +51
    The "like" came in after the bleed red comment.
    I did not burn my Favre jersey, but I did throw it away. My roommate, a Vikings fan, noticed it and asked if he could have is. Vikings fans.... they have no pride!

4. peteralan71

peteralan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +51
    When the Packers were losing in '05 and '09, I wore my Green and Gold even more proudly, while right now I wear it but not quite as often because I get self-conscious of people thinking that I am a bandwagon fan! Kinda crazy, but thats the way I am. I couldn't believe all the frickin Packers stuff I saw the day after the SB. Where were all these people before?!

5. tstej

tstej Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +27
    If I was a fair weather fan I don't think I'd still be a KU football fan

6. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    If the only Packer gear they own is from the last 2 years. I'm mighty suspicious of the Beef O'Brady's crowd here. The bar was BUZZING with Packer fans this past week, yet 70-80% of the crowd were wearing some sort of Super Bowl paraphernalia. Don't get me wrong, I've spent nearly $300 on Super Bowl shenanigans over the last 10 months, but I have a jersey for Sundays :p

7. cheesehurdler

cheesehurdler Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +194
    I feel I have no room to talk, since I've only been a fan for four years (I've watched them since 2007), but my parents are diehards, if that counts for anything. I've only missed one Packers game since 2007 though, even during 2008, and that was the Packers-Rams game of this year. That was because I overslept.

I'll name 5 QBs before Favre.

Don Majkowski
    Lynn Dickey
    Babe Parilli
    Tobin Rote
    Steve Bartkowski (Starr's replacement in the 60s)

Leroy Butler invented the Lambeau Leap. I believe it was during a game in 1993 against the Los Angeles Raiders when Reggie White caused the Raiders' QB to fumble. He picked it up himself, but was pushed out of bounds, so he lateraled the ball to Butler, who ran it in for a TD, and jumped into the stands.

The greatest MNF catch in the history of football is this:
    I still own a videotape of the original broadcast.​

• Like Like x 3
  8. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    I always get a lot of hate because Im from Chicago, but my Dad was a Pack fan since 1966 (when he was born) so I liked all the teams he does.

9. Guacamole

Guacamole Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +93
    you are a bandwagoner if you are a Farve fan

• Like Like x 1
  10. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,204
    Ummmm, I think you mean Zeke Bratkowski.

11. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Funny San Diego fans calling Packers fans "Bandwagon fans." They're the most flippant, indifferent fans of any fanbase out there. Even die hard Chargers fans will tell you that about the majority of their "fans."

• Like Like x 1
  12. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I would love to have seen that. LOL

13. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Hilarious!
    My mom boxed and mailed hers up, and honestly paid to ship it directly to his house in Mississippi!
    Does that count instead of burning it?

• Like Like x 5
  14. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    Man I wish I would of thought of that!! lol... I wonder how much stuff he got sent to him?!?!!!

15. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,834
    Bandwagon fans don't bother me. Better late than never. I know they will be gone to the next big thing when the time comes, so be it. I feel bad for these people. The fun for me is the build up of a champion. Watching these young players come in from college and take their lumps. Playing hard and smart and becoming impact players. We watched them develop and there is a certain satisfaction and sweetness to that. The bandwagon folks will never experience that.

• Like Like x 4
  16. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    Excellent post!:)

17. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    First you have to be able to distinguish what being casual fan is, in comparison to a diehard fan.

The diehard fan will know everything about the team dating back to the 1930's or it's inception. The Casual fan knows who most of the players are on the team currently, most of the legends and iconic players but won't know who the backup punter was on the 1982 packers team or a lot of the historical and intricate trivia about the team.

Most Casual fans tends to be fairweather, but that doesn't mean they aren't fans necessarily. To be honest, I'm a fairweather Phillies fan (even though I don't particularly care for baseball) and only will pay attention to the team if they are doing well or are in the playoffs, I know most of the players, some of the coaches but really nothing beyond that. I grew up outside Philly so I'm kind of a Phillies fan by default.

My dad is the big Packers fan and naturally past it on to me, but even he was never as hardcore about it as I am.

Sometimes over the internet it's harder to spot the bangwagoners because of the ease of access to information. Within 3 minutes of searching I can answer all your test questions.

In real life it's easier. It's also timing. Usually a team that is showing promise, doing well, or is projected to do well, or has a history of doing well will acquire the most bandwagon fans.

That's why no team in the NFL has more bandwagon fans that the Steelers, always do well, have a history of doing well, family owned, do things the right way, 6 titles, "lunch pail team" even though there isn't a Steel factory left standing in Pittsburgh. I cannot express how much I hate the Steelers and their fanbase and I'm glad we beat them in the SB.

I know a ton of Steelers fans around here in the philly area. I once quizzed some idiot wearing a Steel Curtain t-shirt. He couldn't even name 4 players on the 1975 Steelers defense.

18. Derps

Derps Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You take football way too serious brah

19. PackersFanfromCali80

PackersFanfromCali80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Yeah, my friend were driving around San Diego and saw a lot of Packer fans walking down the street. He insisted bandwagon fans wore replica jerseys instead of buying the authentic ones. LOL. I reminded him I don't have any jerseys and I damn sure ain't a bandwagoner. I have my heart broken many a time by this team even though I am fairly young.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PackersFanfromCali80

Ratings:
    +86
    It also depends on how old one is as well. I became a fan when Reggie came from Philly which was in '93 (I was 13). But it's been green/gold ever since then.

21. PackersFanfromCali80

Ratings:
    +86
    Yeah I had somebody make the mistake of claiming I only became a fan of the team after they won this past Super Bowl. Well, he got cussed out for that comment. LOL. My history of being a Packers fan is only over 18 years but I have been disappointed several times (SB loss to the Broncos, Ray Rhodes as coach (oyvey!), 4th and 26, Terrell Owens catching the game winning TD after he had fumbled a couple of plays earlier (which the Pack did not review), the good, the bad, and the ugly that is Brett Favre, Mike Sherman as coach, 4-12 and 8-8 seasons...yeah). Heck there are pics of me in high school rocking Packers sweatshirts and t-shirts so please don't use the word, "bandwagoner" around me.

22. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    Doesn't really matter to me to be honest. If they bought an Aaron Rodgers Jersey and thought his name was Antonio whatever, he's showing support for the team I love and is rooting for them to win, that's all that counts at the end of it. If the person isn't claiming to be a die hard then why should anyone being giving them the Green Bay IQ test to prove otherwise?

The ones who matter will stick tight and when things get rough we will see "fans" get weeded out.

23. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    The reaction of this little old lady is a perfect representation of bandwagon fans:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Guacamole

Guacamole Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +93
    I have a friend at work , I think he is in his late 50's, he was born in Racine,,,,,,he does not know the name of the head coach. But he does"root for the team that is 8-0"

25. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,204
    WHAT? He can't name Mark McCarthy?!?