How to handle Julio in week 2 (and other top wide-outs for that matter)?

D

Deleted member 6794

And the rookie Jones, who is perfect to cover those big TEs, and fast rbs both from the ilb position.
He could be a weakness against the run, but a strong dline in front of him will mostly compensate for that....we are essentially taking out a ilb instead of a de to bring in the extra dback to cover the te. Allowing us to play more base 3-4 than nickel all the time.

Jones has struggled in coverage while playing in a zone scheme in college therefore I have a hard time believing he will excel in it starting week 1 at the pro level.

The Packers for sure never planned on having a defensive linemam cover an opposing tight end.

this is where Jones comes in from the ilb spot imo... we have a ilb who can shut down a rb of that caliber, or a te... then they need to go to plan C, or D or force plan A.

What makes you believe that Jones is ready to completely shut down opposing running backs that excelcatching the ball???

House was torched by Jones in 2014 when he went off for 259 yards. Dont expect different results if House or Gunter or any other cb lines up on him.

I don't consider House a #1 cornerback by any means but to be fair he was the only one who had some success covering Jones that day.

My 2 cents here is that, based on their play before injuries seemingly derailed their progress, Quentin Rollins and especially Damarious Randall were really good young players. Emphasis on Randall. He had moments in 2015 where he along with Jason Verrett looked like the next young up-and-coming star cornerbacks in the NFL. His play as a boundary cornerback at times was spectacular that season, tackling and in coverage.

I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss these two young players, especially given the fact that the two people everybody is penciling as the "starters" (on the assumption they are better hence they will be the starters), Davon House is essentially a journeyman CB, and Kevin King has not played a single snap in the NFL.

The fact remains that we have seen Damarious Randall and even flashes of Rollins play at a high level in the NFL. Not so much for the other two. IMO Randall is the best CB on the roster until proven otherwise, injuries and the subsequent confidence loss withstanding.

While there's no reason to give up on either Randall or Rollins I fully expect both to line up inside for the majority of their snaps this season. BTW Randall only looked impressive during his rookie campaign as long as opponents didn't throw his way for some reason early that year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to me how so many of you think Kevin King, a rookie who has barely practiced in the NFL, is going to come in and match up with Julio Jones and be successful, safety or not...

Truthfully, Davon House is wildly overrated on these forums as well IMO. He's a serviceable cornerback, but would only start on a handful of teams in the NFL. Unfortunately GB is probably one.

My 2 cents here is that, based on their play before injuries seemingly derailed their progress, Quentin Rollins and especially Damarious Randall were really good young players. Emphasis on Randall. He had moments in 2015 where he along with Jason Verrett looked like the next young up-and-coming star cornerbacks in the NFL. His play as a boundary cornerback at times was spectacular that season, tackling and in coverage.

I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss these two young players, especially given the fact that the two people everybody is penciling as the "starters" (on the assumption they are better hence they will be the starters), Davon House is essentially a journeyman CB, and Kevin King has not played a single snap in the NFL.

The fact remains that we have seen Damarious Randall and even flashes of Rollins play at a high level in the NFL. Not so much for the other two. IMO Randall is the best CB on the roster until proven otherwise, injuries and the subsequent confidence loss withstanding.
Why would Randall be better than King at this point? Granted Randall has to be better this year but his ceiling may still be low. The Packers look like they are convinced he can't cover elite wr'ers and are moving him to the slot. King is just a much better athlete and his height makes it more difficult for tall receivers like Bryant and Jones to get easy catches. As a rookie he will get burned thats why he will need some safety help. If he's smart he will learn from his mistakes and be more effective sooner if he lines up as a starter right away on no 1 wr'ers.

Sky King

Reaction score
Two coverage plays made by Randall over the past two seasons stand out to me. Last season it was his interception against Seattle that initially looked as though it would be a sure TD. The season before it was the pass breakup of a Philip Rivers pass to save the game. That's only a small sample to draw from but he sure looks better with the play in front of him than he does with his back to the QB. To me, he looks like he would be more comfortable and effective playing as a safety.

D

Deleted member 6794

Two coverage plays made by Randall over the past two seasons stand out to me. Last season it was his interception against Seattle that initially looked as though it would be a sure TD. The season before it was the pass breakup of a Philip Rivers pass to save the game. That's only a small sample to draw from but he sure looks better with the play in front of him than he does with his back to the QB. To me, he looks like he would be more comfortable and effective playing as a safety.

Absolutely agreed that Randall is better suited to line up at safety. If I remember correctly he actually acted like a free safety on the play you mentioned against the Seahawks last season.

Sky King

Reaction score
Absolutely agreed that Randall is better suited to line up at safety. If I remember correctly he actually acted like a free safety on the play you mentioned against the Seahawks last season.
Here it is: http://www.packers.com/media-center...B-Wilson/773dabb5-8dc2-4fca-a1e0-44b12667a131

As Leroy Butler likes to say about DBs when their WR is out of the play, "Look for work." Randall found work alright, coming over to help out Hyde who was beaten badly on the play by Baldwin. This is the kind of player that I hope Randall really can be when he's healthy. He's given us a flash here and there to indicate as much.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sustain long drives on offense, get after Matt Ryan, give safety help to the player covering Jones.

jakemillar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt that as Baldwin mostly lines up in the slot.
x2

The fastest way for King to derail his progress this season is to match him up with Doug Baldwin in Week 1. He's the best route runner in the NFL. That would be a mistake.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I like the futures of both King and Jones, I think too many people are expecting a couple of rookies to step right in and be great. Give them time, until they get enough NFL reps, they too will make some mistakes.
I agree, that it will take time. However, TT has dealt us this hand, so expectations are high. Really there is no one else we can count on.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Handling Julio and other top receivers mostly comes down to the players doing their jobs. Randall, Rollins and the newcomers have to play better than the secondary did last season.

Capers can try anything he wants, but without guys playing better than last year, it won't make a difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I am not overly confident that the secondary will be a ton better than last year, I think they will be better. Before the 2016 season, the secondary was viewed to be a pretty solid one, with some promising young players. However, once Shields was lost in game 1, the secondary seemed to be in a constant state of disorder and dysfunction, all of the injuries didn't help either. At least going into this season, Capers knows it will require a lot of his attention. I am hoping that along with a little better luck in the injury department, along with further development of Randall and Rollins and the addition of House, King and Jones, the secondary finally becomes a top 15 unit. If that does happen, things will be looking up in Green Bay, that is one young group of guys!

D

Deleted member 6794

Handling Julio and other top receivers mostly comes down to the players doing their jobs. Randall, Rollins and the newcomers have to play better than the secondary did last season.

Capers can try anything he wants, but without guys playing better than last year, it won't make a difference.

Actually a more talented cornerback group would help tremendously.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the first thing the Packers should do is make sure they have a corner that's NOT slower than defensive linemen as their only option to cover Julio. Just that simple step will make a huge difference.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King is like a secret weapon to stop the Julio's of the NFL. 6'3" 200 pounds, and a 4.43, 40!?!? 39.5" vert. Nice...

Julio Jones 6'3" 220 and a 4.34 ,40. 38.5" vert. Impressive.

D

Deleted member 6794

King is like a secret weapon to stop the Julio's of the NFL. 6'3" 200 pounds, and a 4.43, 40!?!? 39.5" vert. Nice...

There's no doubt King possesses the athletic ability to become a shutdown cornerback at the pro level but it seems a lot of Packers fans expect way too much out of him as a rookie while he still has a ton to learn.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would Randall be better than King at this point? Granted Randall has to be better this year but his ceiling may still be low. The Packers look like they are convinced he can't cover elite wr'ers and are moving him to the slot. King is just a much better athlete and his height makes it more difficult for tall receivers like Bryant and Jones to get easy catches. As a rookie he will get burned thats why he will need some safety help. If he's smart he will learn from his mistakes and be more effective sooner if he lines up as a starter right away on no 1 wr'ers.

luckily king can learn and grow from going up against one of the best qb that has a nice group of receivers.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That hasn't seemed to help some of the other CB's ;)

agree. which is pretty damn sad. king is special(i sure do hope so). shields was pretty good though. IF king is the cb we need, just imagine if we had shields and king? :D

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced King getting torched by Jones in week 2 would help his development.

I meant practice with rod and the receivers. however, I think he will learn a few things or two going up against the best in the NFL, just a matter of how he will deal with it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I meant practice with rod and the receivers.

It's true that King most likely benefits from practicing against Rodgers and the team's talented receivers but that doesn't adequately simulate a game situation in which he has to cover opposing top WRs.

In addition you have to realize that he missed nearly all of the offseason program because of a ridiculous rule preventing draft picks from colleges on a quarter system from participating in OTAs, possibly hindering his development.

scotto_25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to hold Julio down...you have to get after Ryan to hold Julio in check. If Ryan has time, you just make sure no one else goes off.

Members online

Latest posts