How To Fix The Ridiculous Delay Of Game Disease Getting Us Week In And Week Out

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the case cited, where there may have been no intention to run a play at all on 4th. and 3 given the situation and field position, there is no downside in failing to get them to jump.
Perhaps it is warranted in some cases, but making it a habit is what worries me and it certainly is a bad habit.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the problem is, you don't think there is a problem or if there is, its a very minor one. So you seem to be taking this stance of "why bother putting any effort into fixing something that isn't much of a problem". While I respect your opinion, your angle of it not being a problem is 180 from mine as well as some of the media and many fans. You won't change my opinion, nor will I try to change yours.

“That’s something we’re definitely going to have to improve upon,” LaFleur said. “No doubt about it. It’s really unacceptable. We can’t have that.”

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...eek-before-san-francisco-showdown/2567847001/

"Woke discussion"? The Carolina game was just more fuel to the fire, this has been a topic of discussion last year and off and on this season, welcome aboard. ;)

I'm glad he at least realizes the problem, but I sure hope he's going to actually do something to get rid of it instead of blowing it off like McCarthy

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm glad he at least realizes the problem, but I sure hope he's going to actually do something to get rid of it instead of blowing it off like McCarthy

MLF mentioned early this season that he wants the offense to break the huddle significantly earlier than under McCarthy. With the unit not having responded accordingly so far I tend to think it won't change the rest of the season.

H

HardRightEdge

I think the problem is, you don't think there is a problem or if there is, its a very minor one. So you seem to be taking this stance of "why bother putting any effort into fixing something that isn't much of a problem". While I respect your opinion, your angle of it not being a problem is 180 from mine as well as some of the media and many fans. You won't change my opinion, nor will I try to change yours.

“That’s something we’re definitely going to have to improve upon,” LaFleur said. “No doubt about it. It’s really unacceptable. We can’t have that.”

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...eek-before-san-francisco-showdown/2567847001/

"Woke discussion"? The Carolina game was just more fuel to the fire, this has been a topic of discussion last year and off and on this season, welcome aboard. ;)
"Minor" is a funny word, but compared to other issues I'd put it down the list of things to get worked up about like getting nothing out of the punt return game (assuming the negatives that don't show up in the stats are limited). I would expect nothing less from LaFleur than that quote because not getting penalties or burning a TO is better than not. It would be impolitic to say anything else. We're ten games in; it's one of those things that might not be fixable in this season. Forcing a fix it may have negative byproducts as noted previously.

As for the "woke" comment, I'm aware of the concerns expressed in these pages but I'm not aware of any prior thread dedicated to the topic. Given the first of the PD penalties looked to be a late break from the huddle and the second was more or less on purpose, its a strange time to highlight it.

Higher on the list of concers is what happened afterward. Perhaps there should be a thread entitled, "2:24, 18 plays, 80 yards".

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue is there are a plethora of execution things to look at with the offense, although compared to how bad things were in McCarthy's last two years many have improved. OL assignments and player performance I'd say has improved a little, but I think this next offseason we'll have to draft a pair of new OTs.

But the 40 second clock management definitely ties into execution, and the offense as a whole has formed bad habits with it. It doesn't rest on Rodgers head alone, but how often does he try to hurry things up in the huddle? As the QB and the longest tenured player on offense, he usually directs traffic and of course the snap count.

I'd say even more so than taking unnecessary timeouts or penalties, it potentially allows the defense to catch their breath when the offense is slowing up with the play snapping. Not to mention I've seen this junk happen on series where the running game could have potentially put the nail in the coffin on the game. When Jones and Williams are on a roll, you're slowing things down too much by failing to keep track of the play clock and then taking DOG or burning timeouts.

Fans are right to be upset about this faulty approach.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes and the defensive teams are picking up on this to their advantage. When we our coaching staff wise up.
Actually, 3rd. down performance has improved gradually over the season to the point of being 9th. ranked over the last three games at 43.8%. It was pretty dismal early in the season, in the low 30's. There have been no delay of game penalties on 3rd. down this season, by the way.

The Packer offense has been stellar in the red zone this season, 3rd. ranked in TD percentage at 68.6%. They are 2nd. over the last three games at 77.8%.

There is little evidence defensive teams are picking up on much of anything.

The most evident problem has not been running the clock down. It is poor performance converting short yardage 3rd. downs.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 2 weeks to practice, that should be enough time to start doing something about hurrying the huddle
I could be wrong.... but I don’t believe that the team holds practice during the bye week.... As I said I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that most teams give the players time away during the bye.

Reaction score
Just struck me while I read these posts on this topic. I recall several years ago MM putting emphasis on getting more plays out. If I recall the magic number was like 75 (forgive me I’m going off memory).

There’s 3 ways to increase Offense production.
1. Increasing the yards per play average
2. Increasing the # of plays executed.
3. Decreasing penalty count or yardage per game.
The easiest one to control short term is #3. Small leaks sink big ships.

GB is the 15th “least”‘overall penalized team (middle) GB ranks 7th in “least” penalty yards.
However Defense is the 2nd lowest in penalty yards given up. Near perfect.

Offense is #32 in penalty units (43). Last place
Offense is #28 in penalty yardage. 5th worst
Offense is #31 in presnap penalty (24)next to worst

The focus needs to be on OFFENSE discipline. That needs to get fixed yesterday. Imagine if GB was suddenly a top 5 least penalized Offense.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The clock ticking down annoys me to no end. I know there is this line of the more time Rodgers gets to read the defense, the better, but how could it not work both ways? The more the play clock winds down the more the defense can read you and adjust. Not to mention, if you are rushing, when that clock gets to 1, not a whole lotta time left to figure out when the ball is getting snapped.

Granted.. more of a massive pet peeve watching the game. Like we're in a perpetual **** Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve counting down the seconds to the new year every play. 3... 2... 1.. snap. 3.... 2... 1.. snap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it'd be more fixable if Rodgers, Jones, LaFleur or someone would start yelling at the players to hurry up and get to the huddle.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The clock ticking down annoys me to no end. I know there is this line of the more time Rodgers gets to read the defense, the better
The only other thing I like about it is that it keeps our defense off the field and lets them rest. But yeah, it doesn't seem to be working out like it is supposed to.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The only other thing I like about it is that it keeps our defense off the field and lets them rest. But yeah, it doesn't seem to be working out like it is supposed to.
Or it brings them onto the field faster, due to the 5 yard penalty for delay of game potentially preventing us from getting a first down?

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I could be wrong.... but I don’t believe that the team holds practice during the bye week.... As I said I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that most teams give the players time away during the bye.
https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf page 143:
Section 2. Bye Weeks: During any regular season bye week period occurring during the term of this Agreement, players will be given a minimum of four consecutive days off. Such four-day period must include a Saturday and a Sunday unless the Club is scheduled to play a game on the Thursday following the bye week, in which case players may be required to report to the Club on the Sunday preceding the Thursday game. In such an event, the four-day period shall be Wednesday through Saturday. Any injured player may be required to undergo medical or rehabilitation treatment during such four-day period provided that such treatment is deemed reasonably necessary by the Club’s medical staff.
page 165:
Section 4. Regular Season Bye Weeks: During any regular season bye week, all players will be permitted days off in accordance with Article 24, Section 2 of this Agreement.

D

Deleted member 6794

OL assignments and player performance I'd say has improved a little, but I think this next offseason we'll have to draft a pair of new OTs.

The Packers need to add a replacement for Bulaga next offseason but it's crazy to suggest the team should move on from Bakhtiari.

Increasing the # of plays executed.

A larger number of plays executed doesn't automatically result in an increase in production.

I think it'd be more fixable if Rodgers, Jones, LaFleur or someone would start yelling at the players to hurry up and get to the huddle.

Rodgers is a large part of the Packers taking too much time to snap the ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Increasing the yards per play average
2. Increasing the # of plays executed.
3. Decreasing penalty count or yardage per game.
The easiest one to control short term is #3. Small leaks sink big ships.
The fourth method is the best. Be more productive on the existing plays you do run. In other words, score every drive. If you go 12 for 15 on third down tries, you get more plays than if you go 4 for 15.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well bring it to his attention, LaFleur's or someone else's that the huddle gotta be timed. Like I said, simulate it in practice or get him a play clock wristband. Demand it to get fixed!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt LaFleur had better be watching what the Cardinals high tempo hurry offense is doing right now. No place for slow huddles against SF.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well bring it to his attention, LaFleur's or someone else's that the huddle gotta be timed. Like I said, simulate it in practice or get him a play clock wristband. Demand it to get fixed!

The Packers coaching staff is definitely aware of there being an issue. It might be difficult to come up with a solution at this point in the season.

Matt LaFleur had better be watching what the Cardinals high tempo hurry offense is doing right now. No place for slow huddles against SF.

Yet the Cardinals lost the game by 10.

Members online

Latest posts