How much $ is Rodgers really worth?

How much should Rodgers be paid based on a $123 million cap? Read the article & see list b4 voting

• Total voters

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This article doesn't say anything. Lots of platitudes and semi-angry ranting ....

Problem with articles like this is that they don't take into account CASH VALUE. With Rodgers' new contract, I've seen actual cash of between $35M and $40M. For season 2013 including his signing bonus. Rodgers is being handsomely compensated for his talent.

To base such ranting on "cap" numbers is ludicrous - the vast majority of the dollar value is front end loaded. Team's caps have been so manipulated by creative contract structuring that it is virtually impossible to know how much anyone is paid in reality - when you're trying to figure out how these monies are paid out, you'd be better off first explaining the balanced budget for the State of Wisconsin - that's a pretty creative piece of work and a helluva lot easier to explain.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think any player(s) in the NFL should be making that much money. The inflation rate of NFL pay checks has been absolute insanity.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To base such ranting on "cap" numbers is ludicrous - the vast majority of the dollar value is front end loaded. Team's caps have been so manipulated by creative contract structuring that it is virtually impossible to know how much anyone is paid in reality - .
So you say all that, but yet you dispute the OFFICIAL salary cup number, found at the NFL Players Association Site and the National Football Post?

So don't argue with the numbers based on the cap numbers then.

I asked how much $ per year Rodgers is worth in your opinions, based on a $123M salary cap.
That's a simple question.
You don't like how creative and manipulative the NFL structures it's deals, so just answer the basic question, basically.
What percentage $ of the cap should Rodgers get?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Eli Manning at Quarterback $20,850,000
Matthew Stafford at Quarterback $17,820,000
Peyton Manning at Quarterback $17,500,000
Drew Brees at Quarterback $17,400,000
Jared Allen at Defensive End $17,063,956
Darrelle Revis at Cornerback $16,000,000
Tamba Hali at Outside Linebacker, $15,500,000
Cortland Finnegan
at Cornerback $15,000,000
Julius Peppers at Defensive End $14,383,000
Adrian Peterson at Running Back $13,900,000

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-10-nfl-salarycap-numbers-quarterbacks-on-top

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line in my opinion is this:
Whatever it is, whatever the salary cap is, he is underpaid all things considered.
With him, this team can beat anyone, and we win 11, 12, 13 games.
WithOUT him? We can't beat ANYONE.

If I was his agent, I'd get more of the pie for sure.
He has all the leverage.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think any player(s) in the NFL should be making that much money. The inflation rate of NFL pay checks has been absolute insanity.

If the nfl paid for their own stadiums that would be great.

But you can't reduce ticket prices, scalpers will just make the difference.

I personally would rather see the players get better compensated than the owners

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The inflation of some NFL players' paychecks has been insane. IMO, the majority are poorly compensated compared to other athletes when one considers the risks inherent in the sport.

Bottom line in my opinion is this:
Whatever it is, whatever the salary cap is, he is underpaid all things considered.
With him, this team can beat anyone, and we win 11, 12, 13 games.
WithOUT him? We can't beat ANYONE.

If I was his agent, I'd get more of the pie for sure.
He has all the leverage.

I agree that Rodgers is worth the money but this season is a reminder of the problems that come with relying so heavily on a single player. And eventually you reach a threshold where paying so much for one player comes at the expense of the rest of the roster.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Depends what your goal is. TT seems to put cap management a bit higher than other GMs. Clearly he's "worth" more than the other 52 combined, but is it practical to price him that way. Clearly the market determines a players worth and he controls his market now. From his perspective, too bad he just signed a long term extension.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the past 5 games have shown Rodgers is worth the money. Without him this is a 4 win team...maybe 3. That's what happnes when you don't really try to improve your roster with some experience and proven guy's. Depending on backups mostly inexperineced doesn't always pan out.

bear7625

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The inflation of some NFL players' paychecks has been insane. IMO, the majority are poorly compensated compared to other athletes when one considers the risks inherent in the sport.

I agree that Rodgers is worth the money but this season is a reminder of the problems that come with relying so heavily on a single player. And eventually you reach a threshold where paying so much for one player comes at the expense of the rest of the roster.
Rodgers has proven his worth to the franchise. We are fortunate the injury wasn't career ending as it was with Sharpe, Collins and possibly Finley. The NFL needs to consider changing salary cap structure based on positions. We need to have a way of keeping and rewarding all players.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has proven his worth to the franchise. We are fortunate the injury wasn't career ending as it was with Sharpe, Collins and possibly Finley. The NFL needs to consider changing salary cap structure based on positions. We need to have a way of keeping and rewarding all players.

Sounds good but it'll never happen. The days of seeing a player spend his entire career with one team is very slim nowadays. Who's to say Rodgers will end his career as a Packer?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what happnes when you don't really try to improve your roster with some experience and proven guy's. Depending on backups mostly inexperineced doesn't always pan out.
...or that's how you're able to afford to sign a guy to a $123 million contract.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson's goal is the same as 31 other GMs: To win titles.

I agree with those who prefer the players get a big piece of the billions generated annually as opposed to the owners.

IMO weeds is right: What was the purpose of the article? To re-do Rodgers' deal to take up more cap space?

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Two different questions - What is he worth and what should he be paid. Obviously he is worth a lot to the Packers because with him they make it to they playoffs and the financial rewards that go along with it. If this is the question then you could check the $40M. The question "what should he be paid?" is the lower $15M due to the cap. This is still greater than 10% of the cap spent on 1 player. It just puts you at a disadvantage if a high dollar player goes down as there is less to spend on the remaining team.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at what's happened to the Packers without Aaron Rodgers. You can't convince me that he doesn't deserve to be the league's highest player. Even with a massive amount of injuries, we were 5-2 and looking like a well-rounded, legitimate threat in the NFC with him at the helm. Without him, we've looked completely incompetent.

You have to consider the market value as well these days, especially when guys like Joe Flacco are getting gigantic contracts. If you have a franchise QB you're pretty much going to have to be willing to pay him huge money in today's NFL, especially with the new collective bargaining agreement giving teams more money to spend on their all stars (since they're saving money on rookie contracts).

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to think the same thing. If u look at it as entertainment then yes they're worth it as actors make millions per movie & some boxers make $40+ million for 1 fight & that to is entertainment.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We signed him to the biggest deal in NFL history and now he's underpaid? Lol Rodgers will get his $ in this deal, he was paid a very fair and generous amount.

The most important position on a football team is quarterback. The second (arguably) is backup quarterback. This is a very good team around Rodgers; with injures, and poor backup QB play we've struggled the past few weeks of the year. Let us not forget it was only two years ago when Rodgers was a "system quarterback" who benefited on how great a very similar team and coaching staff was.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I used to think the same thing. If u look at it as entertainment then yes they're worth it as actors make millions per movie & some boxers make $40+ million for 1 fight & that to is entertainment.

Ok, I can see that point....somewhat. What gets me is that if you break it down, a lot of NFL players are making over 1 million per week!!! That is a lot of money to fathom. Granted they do "work out" and watch film and practice during that week as well.....Just saying that the amounts that they made in the 80's....90's....early 2000's and up to 2013.....those paychecks have had an extremely fast trip to the top floor. It is becoming damn near impossible for the common fan, the blue collar guy, to even dream of going to a game and getting a somewhat decent seat because of these inflated paychecks. I just don't think that ANY player should be cashing in over a million bucks per game....that is insane.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at what's happened to the Packers without Aaron Rodgers. You can't convince me that he doesn't deserve to be the league's highest player. Even with a massive amount of injuries, we were 5-2 and looking like a well-rounded, legitimate threat in the NFC with him at the helm. Without him, we've looked completely incompetent.

You have to consider the market value as well these days, especially when guys like Joe Flacco are getting gigantic contracts. If you have a franchise QB you're pretty much going to have to be willing to pay him huge money in today's NFL, especially with the new collective bargaining agreement giving teams more money to spend on their all stars (since they're saving money on rookie contracts).
Exactly.
With Rodgers, this is a team that was as good as any team, aside from perhaps Seahawks in Seattle, although Rodgers basically beat them there last year despite the OL allowing a floodgate worth of fast sacks.

Without Rodgers?
Be real.
We suck.... I tune out now sometimes. It's ugly. The Jaguars are a better team right now, without question.
The Vikings are terrible, but they tied us in Green Bay. With Rodgers, we creamed them there.

Rodgers made a lot of decent guys look great.
He made some stiffs (see OL) look decent.
It rolled over to the run game..... they looked like a good run-blocking unit when he was there respecting the pass.
Now? You see.

The defense?
That's a whole other story.
They aren't missing a bunch of guys either. Banged up, sure, like all other teams.
But only Hayward is out for the year.

With Rodgers here all year, we are probably 10-2 right now, maybe 9-3.
Without him, we can't beat anyone.
This last 5 games was going to be the softer part of our schedule where we got hot like Carolina has, winners of 8-straight.

All those guys who got paid based on our Winning success, Thompson and McCarthy too, owe half of their $ to Rodgers.
And Greg Jennings was wrong all along.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Is anyone advocating for the Packers to tear up Rodgers' current deal and pay him more? If not, what is this thread about?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What gets me is that if you break it down, a lot of NFL players are making over 1 million per week!!!

This is flat out false.

Unless you count bonuses, there is not a single player in the NFL making a million a week and even if you count bonuses there are maybe 40 players in the NFL making a million a week and there are 1,696 players on an NFL payroll (actually it is more than that but I am just using the roster size for this example, if I included the actual number of players on payroll the following numbers would be even smaller) .02% of players does not constitute "a lot". The average NFL salary in 2012 was 1.9 million. That shakes out to $118,750 per week.

Don't get wrong, my point of this is not to make anyone feel sorry for the money NFL players make, however people only see the huge contracts for the 40 (at most) superstars in the league and for some reason think everyone in the NFL is making these ridiculous sums of money and that simply is not the case.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have believed for a long time that pro sports is entertainment with regard to the compensation of its participants. So just as it may appear strange or wrong or whatever for someone to receive so much for playing a game, to me the same can be said for someone pretending to be someone else (actors) or for someone who “just” sings, or for someone who just tells jokes. While I believe some individual players in the NFL are overpaid, that’s based upon their relative value in the league, not on a notion that players in general are overpaid.

I recently read the NFL will generate more than $9,500,000,000 in revenue this season. Team revenue fluctuates from team to team but according to the article linked below which lists numbers for last season, each team received $179.9 million as its share of national revenue. The story also said the Packers made a profit of $54.3 million on $308 million in total revenue and it noted player costs dropped from $155 million to $136 million last season (but that was before Rodgers and Matthews received the signing bonuses of their deals).
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9483276/

Obviously the Packers are unique in the league and no individual, or small group of owners receive the profit the team generates. But for the other 31 teams that’s obviously not the case. My question for those who believe the players in general are overpaid is this: Would you rather the multi-millionaire and billionaire owners receive a bigger piece of the pie?

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every single NFL player can have their career end on any play.
Maybe not kickers and punters so much.

But as we saw with Nick Collins, or Sterling Sharpe, Terrence Murphy, Tim Lewis, it's a real possibility.
And none of those were the frequent gruesome knee & leg injuries we see way too often.

Football players are NOT overpaid.
For overpaid, I would check the NBA and MLB.
But previous poster is right, this is also entertainment and with supply and demand, talent, there's a market price.

Now the rate at which sports salaries has skyrocketed is way out of whack with other real jobs.
But actors and musicians also have been out of whack, rising.

That's just how it is.
What I hate about it is things like tickets and jerseys cost more than they need to, partly to compensate the high salaries.
But as long as fans pay those high costs, it happens.
It's why I have NO GUILT whatsoever of buying my jerseys from overseasons for 1/5th the cost, which basically just bypasses the built-in padded profits going to the NFL, NFLPA, players, agents.

Great QBs and great starting pitchers command a premium, and it's gotten higher with time, as passing has become more prevalent in the NFL.
I just see that continuing to rise, and I believe Rodgers has proven that he is THE TEAM basically.
With the same cast of characters he was 5-2 with, we are now winless in 5 games.
It is my opinion he has proven that he deserves much more of the pie.

Part of me would love to see his agent holdout and grab more money from the team as the team has flopped like a smelly fish without him. Talk about leverage.

But of course, more $ for him means more guys like James Jones, Sam Shields, etc. will be gone, and I don't want that.

Members online

Latest posts