How Much Cap Pack??

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ALot of talk abounds about GB possible cap room. But me I dont see that we have ALOT

First there are 14 UFA RFA (from what I hear) with the Pack. So say you can sign half of those each averages 1 million dollar salaries that would eat half of our cap space. Take again the fact that a AJ Hawk/#5 pick will demand about 2 million for signing. we are then up to what 4 or five mil left on cap. maybe

I think that when it is all said and down the Pack will have another cap tigh year. Unless Favre retires or restrutures his deal that would make a big determination on what FA we can attract.

I also think GB needs to push for KGB to restruture his deal. I know he probaly wont but he would free alot up.

Maybe I am wrong in my thought process who knows.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JB, unfortunately, I think you're right on. I guess the question is should GB sign that many of their own FA's or should they look to sign a bigger FA and fill in w/ more street FA's? Likewise, Clifton might be another player they could ask to restructure??

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - which is where the discussion of Brett Favre comes in - - he has said, outright, that he would be willing to re-structure his Contract again, if it'll help the Packers bring in some quality Players and get the Franchise back on the road......

Bottom line:

Favre comes back and restructures - we get a possible 5-10mil more for operating leverage.

Favre retires and frees up how much Cap leverage?

As far as the Franchise is concerned - I guess Green Bay is in a win-win situation as long as Favre goes thru with the decision to restructure...

If he isn't around any longer, then we're due for a few seasons of re-alignment (out there on the field). But, we'll have some cash in the bank.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
clif and kgb have something like 4 yrs. left on their contracts, and both count about 5 against...who knows if they's agree to restructure because that'd just be writing on the wall for an early release and the loss of a lot of $$$$ on their parts (of course KGB isn't earning much of it).

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true jb...but leroy was much more valuable to the team than Chad "what's the snap count?" Clifton and Kabeer "I can't defend the run or sustain consistent qb pressure" Gbaja-Biamila

You could make the argument that LeRoy was as much of a leader on the D during the SB years as was Reggie...or at least he was one small notch below him....point being he was more valuable than clif and kgb.

It appears that Wahle and Sharper are better examples of how the organization wants to handle it's more expensive players right now.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
musccy said:
Kabeer "I can't defend the run or sustain consistent qb pressure" Gbaja-Biamila

nicknames these days are so lengthy and unimaginitive...

fine..."come get me a beer" gbaja biamila?!? (not that it describes him...but it sort of rhymes) Is that any better?!? :D

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
arrowgargantuan said:
musccy said:
Kabeer "I can't defend the run or sustain consistent qb pressure" Gbaja-Biamila

nicknames these days are so lengthy and unimaginitive...

fine..."come get me a beer" gbaja biamila?!? (not that it describes him...but it sort of rhymes) Is that any better?!? :D

hahaha..i think i liked the first one more.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not real sure z2c just going by what i heard the Pack may have available. But I have heard it gets bumped to 98 mil this year

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Salary Cap Info site indicates we have around $22 mil. cap room.
While this amount does not take into consideration the final amount after we sign our FA's we do not know what players will be cut or who may be asked to restructure.

I did a little math and figured with Kampy getting an estimated $4 mil and our #5 draft pick signing for $5 mil and giving the other FA's we will most likely want to keep a reasonable pay increase we will be left with somewhere around $10 mil. For example, I increased Grady's salary to $2.5 mil.

That takes into consideration BR returning and restructuring adding $3.5 mil to the Cap. I didn't venture any other restructure $. I also added additional cap $ by virue of cutting Digg's, Fergy, Sander, and, Roman as I doubt we will see them in a Packer uniform next season.

However way you want to do the math it looks like we will have some available $ to make some improvements next year.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kamp will not have a $4 million cap number in his first year (same with our #5 pick). Contracts are backloaded to keep the cap hit quite small in the first year so I'd imagine the number would be closer to $2-$2.5 for each of them in the first year (assuming the large bonus, small base salary formula is followed).

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Kamp will not have a $4 million cap number in his first year (same with our #5 pick). Contracts are backloaded to keep the cap hit quite small in the first year so I'd imagine the number would be closer to $2-$2.5 for each of them in the first year (assuming the large bonus, small base salary formula is followed).

That's good news. Like I say I don't have all the in's and out's down pat but just using rough numbers it looks like a positive scenario for us. Adding another $4-5mil under the cap with what you have shown makes it that much better and I might add I didn't make any of these adjustments with the other FA's either.

I gave the $300+k guys like Chapman, and some others between $700k and $800k. I would guess that would not all count against the cap as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts