How Many Years Left for AR to replacement

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....this is a sore subject...and hard to gauge. I'll just come out and say that I think Rodgers is too comfortable in Title town. He has earned his keep, no question about it, but...I don't know about his ability to adapt and evolve. He has not had much in the way of weapons here lately. Thats on the GM and scouts. Plenty of opportunity for better picks and smart free agency looks at the WR position, that is undeniable. There is also the factor of a very poor defense to practice and work against in the last 5 years...that has taken its toll on Aaron I think. I would not be surprised if he asked for a trade sometime soon if it continues. Who could blame him?

Bottom line here is the organization seems to be too set on relying solely on AR...its maddening. He gets help and talent with his weapons and you would see fireworks like we havent seen since 95-96...just my take.

H

HardRightEdge

Who's to say that after 3 years under AR that Tim Boyle isn't ready to take the reigns after the 2020 season (or sooner if AR goes down)? AR's contract is front-heavy w/ negative cap until after the '20 season. If he chooses to walk or Gute elevates Boyle (or other) & cuts AR there's cap savings then.
Boyle? No. If Rodgers were to suddenly retire you'd want to draft a guy and sign a relatively cheap vet to start for a transitional year and take your lumps.

Rodgers will not be released after 2020 no matter what unless he's seriously injured to the extent his ability to play in 2021 is highly questionable, a late season bad ACL, Theismann/Sherrod/Bridgewater-like leg wreckage, an Achilles rupture. Barring such injury or loss of love of the game, there's no reason to think he will not maintain his performance level.

There is a prevailing theme that Rodgers as regressed to an average NFL QB. That is a gross misunderstanding of what he's doing and why he's doing it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should think about drafting Rodgers successor starting with the 2021 draft.

Actually Jones and Williams have combined to have more receiving touchdowns than any other running back during Rodgers tenure as the starter helping him improve his rating.

If Tagovailoa drops to the Packers first round pick it might be smart to pull the trigger though.

While Rodgers hasn't performed up to his standards over the past two years Packers fans should realize that it's close to impossible to adequately replace a future HOF quarterback and should appreciate having one while it lasts.

I highly doubt Boyle will ever develop into a decent starter in the NFL.

On the field the Packers couldn't have imagined a better transition.
2008 was not very kind to us.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's near the top of the heap in red zone passing performance, where the rubber meets the road.
i said most categories. the red zone is where he's still very good. it's small ball in the red zone. if he had the same mentality between the 20's they'd be much better off. the Packers O is near the bottom of the league in drives ending with a punt, and 3 and outs. that's not totally on rodgers but he's the one with the ultimate decision what play is called.

H

HardRightEdge

i said most categories. the red zone is where he's still very good. it's small ball in the red zone. if he had the same mentality between the 20's they'd be much better off. the Packers O is near the bottom of the league in drives ending with a punt, and 3 and outs. that's not totally on rodgers but he's the one with the ultimate decision what play is called.
I see. You want it all.

So, I turned on the Rams game in progress long enough to see Goff throw 3 consecutive bad balls, more than Rodgers threw all day. Then I dozed off for about an hour. When I woke up the first thing I saw was Goff throwing another bad ball.

There are quite a few folks around here who need to get out more, metphorically speaking. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I would not be surprised if he asked for a trade sometime soon if it continues. Who could blame him?

Bottom line here is the organization seems to be too set on relying solely on AR...its maddening. He gets help and talent with his weapons and you would see fireworks like we havent seen since 95-96...just my take.

Actually I think that Rodgers is enjoying finally not having to win games on his own anymore. Gutekunst needs to add some weapons next offseason but I highly doubt #12 will demand to be traded.

2008 was not very kind to us.

There's no doubt it wasn't off the field. The transition couldn't have gone any better on it though.

the Packers O is near the bottom of the league in drives ending with a punt, and 3 and outs. that's not totally on rodgers but he's the one with the ultimate decision what play is called.

And we all know that the call is the only deciding factor about a play being successful or not. Execution has absolutely nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he may want to finish his career in California, would he go to the 49rs after they didn't draft him?

I obviously don't see much college ball over here, but from the little i've seen the clemson QB (lawerence i think?) looks pretty good. when he goes into the draft what are his chances of not being top5-10?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we all know that the call is the only deciding factor about a play being successful or not. Execution has absolutely nothing to do with it :rolleyes:
that's one of my points. execution has everything to do with it...and part of that is getting the ball out quickly and accurately. he's had a problem in both areas. you know that. you have eyes. you know the stats. you know what MLF wants. he executes MLF's small ball better than MM's spread (which he chooses to run almost all the time). stats show the guys are open but yes balls have to be caught, blocking has to be correct, etc. they're best when they're in that small ball mode. that stretch when they were without adams was their best passing (and offensive in general) stretch. they sustained drives as first downs was the priority. he's had his moments but rodgers has been pretty meh since adams return. i'm just saying that between the 20's he/they would be better off if he had that same red zone mentality (with the occasional shot) since he makes the final play call.

Last edited:

Sergeant Major

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would draft a QB in the 2020 draft for his replacement. This will give him two years to sit and learn the system. I realize we need an OT, MLB and WR. But, we have the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds for those positions. Maybe we can also get a couple of comp picks in the 4th found.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

God help the poor guy who comes here as the replacement.......Everybody is gonna hate the poor bastard anyway, nobody is going to give him a chance, and you KNOW that`s the truth.

H

HardRightEdge

Well....this is a sore subject...and hard to gauge. I'll just come out and say that I think Rodgers is too comfortable in Title town. He has earned his keep, no question about it, but...I don't know about his ability to adapt and evolve. He has not had much in the way of weapons here lately. Thats on the GM and scouts. Plenty of opportunity for better picks and smart free agency looks at the WR position, that is undeniable. There is also the factor of a very poor defense to practice and work against in the last 5 years...that has taken its toll on Aaron I think. I would not be surprised if he asked for a trade sometime soon if it continues. Who could blame him?

So which is it? The "too comfortable" and "adapt and evolve" thing or lack of talent around him? He doesn't look complacent to me.

As for a trade, I see no evidence he'd prefer to move on. He's talked about that eventuality only in the context of past situations where there was a team decision to move on. And even if he did ask he wouldn't get his wish, at least until 2022.

When a player is traded the entire balance of his future prorated signing bonus counts against the cap in that year. So, if you traded Rodgers in this offseason before his roster bonus comes due in March 2020 he'd count $34.5 mil against the 2020 cap. That compares to his $32.6 mil cap number in 2020. And then you do not have a QB.

A 2021 trade doesn't look very attractive either having to eat $23 mil in prorated bonus cap against a $33.5 mil cap number while, again, you are without a QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
God help the poor guy who comes here as the replacement.......Everybody is gonna hate the poor bastard anyway, nobody is going to give him a chance, and you KNOW that`s the truth.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/aaron-rodgers-kids-cussing/2060

I really wouldn't worry to much about the post Rodgers QB for the Packers. It is likely to be a string of players while looking for the next franchise QB. The Packers have had the most important position on the field locked up for 27 years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

he may want to finish his career in California, would he go to the 49rs after they didn't draft him?

The Niners aren't an option as they have locked up Garoppolo for another three seasons.

that's one of my points. execution has everything to do with it...and part of that is getting the ball out quickly and accurately. he's had a problem in both areas. you know that. you have eyes. you know the stats. you know what MLF wants. he executes MLF's small ball better than MM's spread (which he chooses to run almost all the time). stats show the guys are open but yes balls have to be caught, blocking has to be correct, etc. they're best when they're in that small ball mode. that stretch when they were without adams was their best passing (and offensive in general) stretch. they sustained drives as first downs was the priority. he's had his moments but rodgers has been pretty meh since adams return. i'm just saying that between the 20's he/they would be better off if he had that same red zone mentality (with the occasional shot) since he makes the final play call.

You don't understand that all players have to execute a play for it to work, that doesn't only apply to the quarterback.

Rodgers hasn't performed at an elite level this season but a lack of talent at receiver and tight end has had a huge impact on it. In addition the offensive line has struggled to protect him at times as well.

As a side note, I would be interested in the stats showing receivers are consistently open.

I would draft a QB in the 2020 draft for his replacement. This will give him two years to sit and learn the system. I realize we need an OT, MLB and WR. But, we have the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds for those positions. Maybe we can also get a couple of comp picks in the 4th found.

Gutekunst shouldn't spend the Packers first round pick on a quarterback next offseason, except maybe if Tagovailoa drops to them.

The Packers will definitely not receive any compensatory picks in 2020 after signing the Smiths, Amos and Turner in free agency last offseason.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't say it!!!!! God!
Don't even think that ****!

And send Danika a classy Christmas gift. Everyone. Keep that lady loving greenbay.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wouldn't worry to much about the post Rodgers QB for the Packers. It is likely to be a string of players while looking for the next franchise QB.
I say let's forget about all that and go for three Hall of Famers in a row.

Members online

Latest posts