Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
Did somebody say Hodge is too small???

He is 5-11, 235 right?

One of the best linebackers in football, Ray Lewis is 6-1 245.

Hodge is a rookie. Shouldnt be a problem for a professional to put on 10 or so pounds.

Hodge, at 5-11, 245 would be harder to move than a miscellaneous linebacker at 6-1, 235 because its allways harder to get past a shorter stocky player than a taller lankier player of the same athletic and playing ability.

Best linebacker in football, Derrick Brooks is like 6foot, 230. Linebacker play is all about a combination if craziness, intelligence, and instincts. Anyone can learn to tackle and bulk up 10-20 pounds.

So as for predictions. Who knows. How many pro bowls did ryan leaf make? David Carr? You never know with a rookie. If he has heart and is a hard worker, he will be a starter by middle of the year and can be a pro bowler down the line. Looking at him on tape, he is awesome, has good instincts.

If only it were so easy.

First off, Hodge is nowhere near the athletes that Lewis or Brooks are. In their mid-thirties they are both far faster than Hodge and have the benefit of experience.

Second, no, it is not easy for anyone to "bulk up 10-20 pounds." You have to have the frame to handle the weight and the athleticism to not have it rob you of your speed and quickness. Since most scouts describe Hodge as muscle bound on the upper half of his body and he has skinny legs, where do you propose he puts this easy to add bulk?

With the size and speed of offensive linemen in the league it is not a matter of whether they can move you, it is not letting them catch you or get into your body. Hodge's lack of speed will be magnified in the Professional game.

I hope I am wrong, but don't see anything but a bunch of wishful thinking with all of these Pro Bowl predicitions and comparisons to great players with many years of experience.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate when scouts corner players. The thing is I am from Big Ten Country and have seen Hodge play he is a high motor guy. Also remeber the same was said of Barnett that he was too small and some still say it. While the jury is not even deliberating yet I think Hodge will be solid where ever he goes.

BTW 40 times are not the true measure of an athelete.

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
How about if we start with him making the roster before we start talking Pro Bowls.

As for Barnett -- he is the Packers fastest LB. He is faster than Hawk, Campbell had great speed pre-injury but is a longshot to make the roster.

I like Hodge, but he is undersized and ran a 4.8 at the combine. It is quite a leap from starting for the Hawkeyes to playing in the NFL. I see him being a solid special teams contributor and backup to Barnett.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In a few seasons he may or may not become a starter. The Pro Bowl eventually is possible, but I would not be holding my breath.

Barnett is not faster than Hawk. Barnett ran a 4.6 at the combine while Hawk ran a 4.5. Hawk also ran a 4.38 at his pro day.

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
jhensiak said:
I honesty believe Hodge is a good football player and a lot of scouts are prejudice to guys that dont have all the measureables because it would show "good football players" are just that and the real people that are overrated are "scouts", by the way, what was Walter Payton's 40 time, Who gives a *******!!!! Hodge will be just fine like a GREAT undersized LB'er call Sam Mills, Oh yeah, the Scouts loved him (Yeah right!) Bla, Bla, Bla, GO TED! Keep Picking good FOOTBALL PLAYERS! Let A-HOLE bodybuilders like Vernon Davis go to the 49ers.

I honestly believe Hodge is a good football player too -- in fact I have not heard anyone say he is not a good football player. You have to be a good football player to play in the Big Ten -- esp. to start on a decent team like Iowa. And you have to be a good football player to be drafted -- esp as early as the first day and as early as the 3rd round like Hodge was drafted.

Now having established that he is a good football player, let's refocus on what this thread is about. It is about how many Pro Bowls will this 6 foot (if you squint your eyes) 230 (something) player with skinny legs who is smart and instinctive, but because of size and speed limitations has limited upside.

Further, I think you may be confusing scouts with sports writers. Scouts make their living finding football players, evaluating their play and measuring their upside -- there livelihood depends upon it. They spend the whole year traveling to watch players and breaking down film on them. If they are good at it they will make a good living, if not their are a hundred guys who would love to get their jobs. It is a very difficult job and it far from an exact science. Any scout worth their salt pays attention to " measurables" as one of many factors in evaluating 'football players.'

I agree with ya

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best this guy can be is a Zach Thomas like player. undersized and not the fastest or strongest player but has heart and works hard at it. Hodge does remind a lot of people of Thomas.

I don't think he's Zach Thomas. Voting for 6 Pro Bowl's is just down right blinded loyalty to your team frankly.

With that said I think he'll be a very solid player. Someone dependable that will start for us in the near future. A solid player but not a difference maker like AJ Hawk.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed for a linebacker is important but not the most important thing. If you are fast and big but you are not intelligent and dont have good instincts, you will be a mediocre linebacker. Knowing where u need to be on the field along with good anticipation is 90% of the battle for a middle linebacker. The ONLY place where speed is important is when a linebacker is put out on an island vs a running back or fullback in the flats for the most part, which is not the primary responsibility of a MLB. OLB's help in covering running backs and fullbacks out of the backfield for the most part. Also, track speed dosent translate to football pad speed. Look at Hodges tapes from college. He is more than quick enough to play NFL mlb position IMO. In what i have seen on film of the guy, he has as quick if not quicker a "reaction" first step than A.J. Hawk. Im not saying he is Ray Lewis or anything, im not crazy.

But i would say that his size does not limit his chances. He is like every other rookie. He can be great or he can be Trev Alberts.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
figtab said:
Bruce said:
How about if we start with him making the roster before we start talking Pro Bowls.

As for Barnett -- he is the Packers fastest LB. He is faster than Hawk, Campbell had great speed pre-injury but is a longshot to make the roster.

I like Hodge, but he is undersized and ran a 4.8 at the combine. It is quite a leap from starting for the Hawkeyes to playing in the NFL. I see him being a solid special teams contributor and backup to Barnett.

In a few seasons he may or may not become a starter. The Pro Bowl eventually is possible, but I would not be holding my breath.

Barnett is not faster than Hawk. Barnett ran a 4.6 at the combine while Hawk ran a 4.5. Hawk also ran a 4.38 at his pro day.

I do not want to split hairs with you -- since both Barnett and Hawk are explosive, quick and fast.

You have the wrong times for Hawk. He ran a 4.62 and a 4.59 at the combine. The Pro Day stuff is always inflated numbers running on turf, but for the record he never ran a 4.38 even at his Pro Day workout -- he ran 4.42 and 4.49, which are fast as Hell, but notice you did not print Barnett's inflated Pro Day numbers for the comparison. The Journal says his Pro Day numbers were 4.53 -- so who knows what is real. I know the combine numbers are considered the most accurate.
Where are you getting such inflated numbers ?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
figtab said:
Bruce said:

I do not want to split hairs with you -- since both Barnett and Hawk are explosive, quick and fast.

You have the wrong times for Hawk. He ran a 4.62 and a 4.59 at the combine. The Pro Day stuff is always inflated numbers running on turf, but for the record he never ran a 4.38 even at his Pro Day workout -- he ran 4.42 and 4.49, which are fast as Hell, but notice you did not print Barnett's inflated Pro Day numbers for the comparison.

Where are you getting such inflated numbers ?

A couple teams actually did clock him in at a 4.38 at his pro day but the range of times is so off that's why pro day numbers are always faster. Teams value combine numbers over pro day numbers more. So it really doesn't matter. I bet their neck and neck and who cares we have both of them.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I bet their neck and neck and who cares we have both of them.

I agree :joy: Which is why I said I did not want to split hairs -- I love the speed we now have at LB

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett and Hawk is a great duo.

then let these three battle it out...

Hodge
Ben Taylor
Poppinga

and our LBs should be money.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Barnett and Hawk is a great duo.

then let these three battle it out...

Hodge
Ben Taylor
Poppinga

and our LBs should be money.

The early battle will be Taylor, Manning and Hodge, but Poppinga is probably the best of that foursome when he gets healthy. He may start the season on the PUP, but I think he challenges for the starting job upon his return.

Poppinga and Manning both looked great on special teams last season and are going to come back hungry and with a year of experience and learning what it takes to play at this level.

Ben Taylor was very productive with Cleveland last season and is a seasoned Veteran.

The competition at LB is going to be intense -- and while quite raw, by far the most athletic group of LB in a Packers camp in many years.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Manning

and I have no reason to back up my opinion on that whatsoever. I just...meh..i dunno.

but if hes good, and wins the job(which in itself is impressive) then more power to him.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I'm not sold on Manning

and I have no reason to back up my opinion on that whatsoever. I just...meh..i dunno.

but if hes good, and wins the job(which in itself is impressive) then more power to him.

I am not sold on him either -- though he is a great special teams player. Like I said, I expect Taylor to babysit the job until Poppinga is healthy. But Manning has ability and has been working hard to compete for the job. I think he is a lock to make the roster and provides quality depth at worst.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Taylor wins the battle. Production and being a vet I think he's in the best position to win the job and I believe he's got a leg up on anyone else.

I'm not sold on Manning or Poppinga. They rarely stood out last year on a weak LB core. Of course they were rookies so they weren't expected as much. I think Poppinga has the better upside and will eventually push for the starting spot. Manning comes off a solid backup. Nice all around guy and I hope to god he gets it because if anyone does deserve the job, it's Manning, but I don't think he has the intangilbes or instincts that Taylor and Poppinga have. I don't think his attributes such as speed and strength match up to the other players. None the less it's really solid depth and something to be excited about.