• 4-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6+, perennial Pro Bowler, a la Mike Singletary

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cheesehead4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will ABDUL HODGE make any Pro Bowls, and how many?

I personally think it's only a matter of time, and getting Barnett to the OLB spot opposite AJ Hawk (how fast would those two OLBers be!), and Abdul the hitman Hodge anchoring the inside.

Is Barnett not fast enough to play OLB?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't seened him play in the NFL yet so it's really hard to make a guess. If he lives up to his potential, a couple then.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hate the offseason, and needed somthing to do :lol:

New here by the way I live in England.

Look forwd to talking to all you guys.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about if we start with him making the roster before we start talking Pro Bowls.

As for Barnett -- he is the Packers fastest LB. He is faster than Hawk, Campbell had great speed pre-injury but is a longshot to make the roster.

I like Hodge, but he is undersized and ran a 4.8 at the combine. It is quite a leap from starting for the Hawkeyes to playing in the NFL. I see him being a solid special teams contributor and backup to Barnett.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In a few seasons he may or may not become a starter. The Pro Bowl eventually is possible, but I would not be holding my breath.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have quite high hopes for him.

I was thinking by the end of the season our LBers would look like this:

A.Hodge-------------N.Barnett---------------A.J Hawk

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehead4 said:
I have quite high hopes for him.

I was thinking by the end of the season our LBers would look like this:

A.Hodge-------------N.Barnett---------------A.J Hawk

It is possible.

I see the season start like:

Taylor------------------Barnett--------------------Hawk
Poppinga---------------Hodge---------------------Manning

and end more like:

Poppinga---------------Barnett--------------------Hawk
Taylor------------------Hodge---------------------Manning

Though I would not rule out Manning beating out Taylor and forcing him into the backup role.

I just think people are expecting too much from Hodge too early.

I keep hearing what Cleveland GM Phil Savage said about him, "The only one that really can knock 'em back is Hodge and he's 5-11 and 230," and...

"He's a high-cut guy with skinny legs," one scout said. "He'll be a steady player. He's as good as he's ever going to be unless he puts weight on his legs. He got coached up so well at Iowa. He's so muscle-bound above."

"The kid's reputation is better than he plays," another scout said. "He's not big and he's not real fast. He's just a pretty good football player."

Other scouts described him as stiff athletically -- I hope they are wrong.

Welcome to the Board.

Reaction score
I am also very high on Manning. I honestly think this kid has some potential to be something good, maybe even cement a starting start by the end of the year. It says a lot when the coaches had Manning penciled in as the LB starter before the 1st minicamp along with Hawk and Barnett.

Unfortunatly Bruce I think you are expecting a little too much out of Poppinga, as I think this year will basically be a year where he gets back to health. He needs time to recover from an injury like his, and I just don't see him being a big contributor this season.

PS - Bruce, hope you read that PM I sent you from a while back. :)

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge???? Are you serious? I mean I hate to be negative toward the whole Idea but he won't even be starting.

Everyone here says he was the "steal of the draft" but I saw several publications ranking him in the top 5 of "overrated prospects"

My guessis he will be an average LB that will bounce around to 4-5 teams and bring good, but not great, LBing to all of them.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I am also very high on Manning. I honestly think this kid has some potential to be something good, maybe even cement a starting start by the end of the year. It says a lot when the coaches had Manning penciled in as the LB starter before the 1st minicamp along with Hawk and Barnett.

Unfortunatly Bruce I think you are expecting a little too much out of Poppinga, as I think this year will basically be a year where he gets back to health. He needs time to recover from an injury like his, and I just don't see him being a big contributor this season.

PS - Bruce, hope you read that PM I sent you from a while back. :)

I agree, that is why I said by season's end. I would not be shocked if he needs a whole season, but reports are this kid is working his butt off to get ready and is healing faster than anticipated.

I'm giving some consideration to it -- I have to get a handle on some personal stuff before I can decide.

But to add reason why I don't start counting Pro Bowls before they play How about a do you remember (to liven things up during a slow time).

One of Ron Wolf's early picks that I was very high on was drafted in the second round (No. 34 pick) in 1992. He came in and was starting as a rookie but blew out his hamstring in the second game and never played again.

You just never know in the NFL
Page down and find the answer
:D
:)
:(
:eek:
:shock:
:-?
8)
:lol:
:x
:p
:oops:
:cry:
:evil:
:twisted:
:roll:
:wink:

Just a little further

:!:
:?:
:idea:
:arrow:

Mark D'Onofrio, ILB, Penn State:

Reaction score
lol Bruce, always one with the suspense. :p

Take all the time you need my friend, I just got a little paranoid you didn't get the PM. No hurries. :)

But I remember many people said KGB was far too small to play DE, but he has been doing it and is starting.

Hodge maybe small, but I don't think that should be seen as a negative. I agree more so with your point about not having enough leg muscle as a more negative factor. But even with that, I am highly optimistic about the new strength coach, Rock Guillison. I believe if anyone can get Hodge into playing shape with adding mass to his legs, its Rock. But I can't expect that to happen overnight, so I am looking for him to show me a real measure of how good he can be sometime next year.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Hodge, or for that matter Poppinga are used as one dimension players this year. Hodge will be a ST, but perhaps a MLB on surefire run plays. Poppinga I would like to see get some time as a pass rusher, I really think this kid has the ability to lift our pass rush.

But it would be an AMAZING surprise if Hodge was able to give us some pass rush. Oh how I would LOVE that! But I am going to keep it practical, I just hope Hodge is able to come in and learn. Let's worry about him getting adapted to the NFL learning curve this year, and worry about if he can become a probowler next year.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honesty believe Hodge is a good football player and a lot of scouts are prejudice to guys that dont have all the measureables because it would show "good football players" are just that and the real people that are overrated are "scouts", by the way, what was Walter Payton's 40 time, Who gives a *******!!!! Hodge will be just fine like a GREAT undersized LB'er call Sam Mills, Oh yeah, the Scouts loved him (Yeah right!) Bla, Bla, Bla, GO TED! Keep Picking good FOOTBALL PLAYERS! Let A-HOLE bodybuilders like Vernon Davis go to the 49ers.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jhensiak said:
I honesty believe Hodge is a good football player and a lot of scouts are prejudice to guys that dont have all the measureables because it would show "good football players" are just that and the real people that are overrated are "scouts", by the way, what was Walter Payton's 40 time, Who gives a *******!!!! Hodge will be just fine like a GREAT undersized LB'er call Sam Mills, Oh yeah, the Scouts loved him (Yeah right!) Bla, Bla, Bla, GO TED! Keep Picking good FOOTBALL PLAYERS! Let A-HOLE bodybuilders like Vernon Davis go to the 49ers.

The problem is that for every small guy that makes it thier are 10 that don't. You must also have a solid line in front to keep the Olinemen off of them which at this time is probably the weakspot on the Def.

It's not that I don't like Hodge but this steal of the draft stuff is crazy. If you look at this guys stats at Iowa you would think he woul be a borderline first round pick. Obviously there were several other teams concerned about his size

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge was a steal. Most scouts projected him as a mid to late 2nd so he was a steal. He wasn't a HUGE steal but he was a bit of a steal in early round 3.

HE has very good football instincts and intangibles and is one of the better tacklers to come out. I'd say Hodge Hawk and Greenway are the 3 best tackling LB's to come out.

HE has it all but lacks physical gifts. Decent strength. Not that fast and undersized. A lot of scouts and I agree with this as well compare him to a potential Zach Thomas if he works at it. IF not Thomas then he turns out to be more like a good player in the middle.

By no means is he as bad as a special teams star that will bounce from team to team.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Nobody is saying he is going to be Ray Lewis, but he should be a solid LB I think!

* Edited by AADP - lets keep it a little cleaner and safe for all ages. :)

No but obviously a few think he will be Mike Sigletary......Lol

Anyways Porky, I did not say he would be a special teamer only. He may contribute but I don't see him being an every down guy. I DO think he will bounce around the league as an average solid guy that is brought in different places to contribute. It's not a bad thing.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Hodge on alot of overrated lists

Joseph Addai (not creative, doesn't bring much to the table)
Santonio Holmes (probably won't pan out)
Jimmy Williams (most likely to OD)
Mark Setterstrom (average)
Brandon Marshall (doesn't want it)
Dominique Byrd (weak little girl, #2 TE at best)
Dwayne Slay (special teamer)
Dale Robinson (special teamer)
Marcus McNeill (crippled)
DeMeco Ryans (nothing special)
Kai Parham (has nothing to offer)
Jonathan Joseph (no Mel, he's not a top 10 player)
Abdul Hodge (sloppy, may start someday but won't make plays)
Pat Watkins (not as good as advertised)
Charlie Whitehurst (3rd stringer/practice squad at best)
Andrew Whitworth (backup)
Jesse Mahelona (backup)
Kelly Jennings (nickelback)

Underrated:

Vernon Davis (should be consensus #1 pick)
DeAngelo Williams (wear and tear is a lame excuse, incredible runner)
DeMario Minter (incredible potential)
Tamba Hali (plays with tremendous intensity and focus)
Jon Scott (extremely productive career)
Kellen Clemens (intelligent and can get the job done)
Eric Winston (physical specimen, if healthy he's an outstanding PBer)
Darrell Hackney (wants it badly and has starting potential down the road)
Jon Alston (better than Ryans, intense and disciplined)
Tim Day (outstanding receiver)
Bernard Pollard (extremely productive, wants it)
Rocky McIntosh (exceptional athleticism and intangibles)
Derek Hagan (Mtl's "don't forget about me" award, awarded to Hagan)
Ko Simpson (still deserves to be a 1st rounder)

More

One of top ILB prospects in a weak class. Benefited, and may be overrated, because of the elite defensive players that he has played with in recent years (Matt Roth, Chad Greenway).

more

Ten Overrated Prospects
1. Charlie Whitehurst - QB - Clemson
Whitehurst is a big, strong-armed passer who is high on many lists but carries only a marginal starting grade here. He is not very accurate and his decision making has been suspect throughout his career. He probably will go in the top 100 selections but is a definite reach there.
2. Greg Eslinger – OC - Minnesota
This mobile senior was a four-year starter in the Big Ten and won numerous awards for his fine play. He is a sound technician with fine footwork but has only marginal size and short arms, which causes problems with big tackles in single assignments. He could surprisingly fall to the second day of the draft and is best suited for zone blocking schemes like the Falcons, Broncos and Vikings.
3. Thomas Howard – LB- UTEP
A fast, athletic linebacker who tests out as well as any prospect in this draft class, Howard's production was decent but did not match his athletic ability. His lack of big plays is a concern. His inability to initially read the play properly does not put him in a position to consistently make the impact play. His athleticism may get him selected in the top 50, but that would be a definite reach.
4. Parys Haralson – DE - Tennessee
Haralson is a quick, smallish edge rusher who had a fine final season and good Senior Bowl performance. He has marginal size for end in a 4-3 scheme and has rarely played standing up. He is quick off the ball - which allows him to win early on the down - but whether he can beat NFL-caliber tackles remains to be seen. He has struggled when top tackles get their hands on him early, and he fails to show good secondary moves.
5. Abdul Hodge – LB - Iowa
This tough, productive senior linebacker put up incredible tackle numbers over his Big Ten career. He is a savvy linebacker but did not impress at the NFL Combine like other highly regarded defenders. He carries a starting grade but is not a top-60 prospect, although he could be part of a run on linebackers on the first day.
6. Darrell Hunter – CB – Miami (Ohio)
A big, athletic cornerback who played at a fairly high level over his long career. His instincts and his ability to make the big play are suspect despite those numbers. He failed to impress at the Senior Bowl against top competition, though he tested out well at the NFL Combine. He will probably be selected in the first day of the draft, but his level of development is questionable and he will have to step up to compete for playing time even as a role defender.
7. Will Allen - OG - Texas
Allen is a big, physical guard who has been a stalwart on the Texas line over the past three years. He is only an average athlete and did not live up to his press clippings at the Senior Bowl or NFL Combine. He will fall to the late rounds as a result and carries only a marginal starting grade with development.
8. Michael Robinson – WR – Penn St.
This college quarterback will have to make a position switch to play at the next level. He has played running back and wideout but has not developed fully at any position - which will limit his early playing time. He has a long learning curve to compete for a starting job and will be limited to a role player as receiver and runner with the option to throw the ball. He may become a fine role player, but he will need some time to refine his skills and is not a top 150 prospect.
9. Kyle Williams - DT - LSU
A tough, sound technician who was a productive defender for the Tigers. He often got the most out of his average athleticism. His instincts and good functional strength allowed him to beat most college blockers. His marginal size and average athletic ability may hinder him as a pro. He likely be limited to only a backup role despite fine production in college.
10. Anwar Phillips – CB – Penn St.
Phillips is an agile cornerback who was part of the tough Penn State defense in recent years. He performed well in the Nittany Lions' system, playing mainly zone coverage over his career. He has good size but only marginal speed and athletic ability. He needs the right scheme to be effective. He can be exploited in man coverage, especially in the deep game where his recovery speed is suspect.

more

The OVERRATED Team

QB Vince Young Texas DE Manny Lawson N.C State
RB Brian Calhoun Wisconsin DE Tamba Hali Penn State
FB Matt Bernstein Wisconsin DT Rodrique Wright Texas
WR Santonio Holmes Ohio State DT Claude Wroten LSU
WR Hank Baskett New Mexico OLB DeMeco Ryans Alabama
TE Dominique Byrd USC OLB Spencer Havner UCLA
OT Winston Justice USC ILB Abdul Hodge Iowa
OT Andrew Whitworth LSU CB Ashton Youboty Ohio State
OG Taitusi Lutui USC CB Anwar Phillips Penn State
OG Will Allen Texas S Michael Huff Texas
C Greg Eslinger Minnesota S Greg Blue Georgia

I just can't believe we are talking about how many pro-bowls a 3rd round rookie LB is going to make. I mean last I checked we drafted AJ Hawk with the 5th pick overall. Hodge was a mid-round, and not even the best LB on the Iowa team. The guy will likely not even start a game this year.

Whats next, How many pro-bowls is Ingle Martin going to make? And then some idiots will come on here and vote for 9+ like Dan Marino..........arghhhh!!!!!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could you post the links so I can see how reliable of a site it is. Not that I don't trust you but I don't trust a lot of draft sites out there. A lot of them aren't run by people who should be doing that type of a job frankly.

Edit: Judging from the list outside of Young the site is big on physical attributes like 40 time, bench, shuttle etc..

A lot more factors in. Hodge Hawk and Greenway have the best intangibles and instincts which can't be taught at LB in the Draft.

I actually think Greenway was the top in the area and the better tackler ahead of Hawk. Hawk is a much better leader athlete tho.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jhensiak said:

I honestly believe Hodge is a good football player too -- in fact I have not heard anyone say he is not a good football player. You have to be a good football player to play in the Big Ten -- esp. to start on a decent team like Iowa. And you have to be a good football player to be drafted -- esp as early as the first day and as early as the 3rd round like Hodge was drafted.

Now having established that he is a good football player, let's refocus on what this thread is about. It is about how many Pro Bowls will this 6 foot (if you squint your eyes) 230 (something) player with skinny legs who is smart and instinctive, but because of size and speed limitations has limited upside.

Further, I think you may be confusing scouts with sports writers. Scouts make their living finding football players, evaluating their play and measuring their upside -- there livelihood depends upon it. They spend the whole year traveling to watch players and breaking down film on them. If they are good at it they will make a good living, if not their are a hundred guys who would love to get their jobs. It is a very difficult job and it far from an exact science. Any scout worth their salt pays attention to " measurables" as one of many factors in evaluating 'football players.'

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehead4 said:
Will ABDUL HODGE make any Pro Bowls, and how many?

I personally think it's only a matter of time, and getting Barnett to the OLB spot opposite AJ Hawk (how fast would those two OLBers be!), and Abdul the hitman Hodge anchoring the inside.

Is Barnett not fast enough to play OLB?

:roll: To even compare this kid to Mike Singletary is beyond ridiculous.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
jhensiak said:

I honestly believe Hodge is a good football player too -- in fact I have not heard anyone say he is not a good football player. You have to be a good football player to play in the Big Ten -- esp. to start on a decent team like Iowa. And you have to be a good football player to be drafted -- esp as early as the first day and as early as the 3rd round like Hodge was drafted.

Now having established that he is a good football player, let's refocus on what this thread is about. It is about how many Pro Bowls will this 6 foot (if you squint your eyes) 230 (something) player with skinny legs who is smart and instinctive, but because of size and speed limitations has limited upside.

Further, I think you may be confusing scouts with sports writers. Scouts make their living finding football players, evaluating their play and measuring their upside -- there livelihood depends upon it. They spend the whole year traveling to watch players and breaking down film on them. If they are good at it they will make a good living, if not their are a hundred guys who would love to get their jobs. It is a very difficult job and it far from an exact science. Any scout worth their salt pays attention to " measurables" as one of many factors in evaluating 'football players.'

Yeah its absurd. He won't start on this team and some extremely optimistic guys think this guy will make 6 pro-Bowls?

Hodge at his best will be more like Dexter Coakley than Sam Mills. Coakley was super small but made plays. He made 2 pro-bowls I believe but one was as an alternate.

This is probably the best we can hope for out of Hodge.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did somebody say Hodge is too small???

He is 5-11, 235 right?

One of the best linebackers in football, Ray Lewis is 6-1 245.

Hodge is a rookie. Shouldnt be a problem for a professional to put on 10 or so pounds.

Hodge, at 5-11, 245 would be harder to move than a miscellaneous linebacker at 6-1, 235 because its allways harder to get past a shorter stocky player than a taller lankier player of the same athletic and playing ability.

Best linebacker in football, Derrick Brooks is like 6foot, 230. Linebacker play is all about a combination if craziness, intelligence, and instincts. Anyone can learn to tackle and bulk up 10-20 pounds.

So as for predictions. Who knows. How many pro bowls did ryan leaf make? David Carr? You never know with a rookie. If he has heart and is a hard worker, he will be a starter by middle of the year and can be a pro bowler down the line. Looking at him on tape, he is awesome, has good instincts.

Members online

Latest posts