How many Full Time Pro Scouts Do The Packers have?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I know I could search this on the Internet, but this is the place to get a quick and right answer. This forum has more knowledgeable fans than most forums I have visited.

I met a fella who was a Bengal fan at the Superbowl party I went to, He was a class act and a good fan of the game. We were talking about the Bengals woe's and how they draft bad character's.

He told me that the reason his team is drafting poor, or bad character players is because the Bengals are so cheap that they do not have enough Pro NFL scouts to evaluate the talent properly.

That was an interesting conversation for me, although I could not really contribute to it because I have no idea how many scouts the Packers or Raiders have on the payroll.

His point was.... Most NFL teams have 3 or 4 times the scouts on their payroll as the Bengals do. Heretofore the Scout they have does not have the time to evaluate each player as well as they should. Character can not be evaluated.

Now this is interesting. and I would love your feedback on this. Also does anyone know how many pro scouts are on the Packer payroll and how the number of scouts the Packers have compares to other NFL teams?

I know I will get the answer here.

R.P.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not know the answer to your question..

I do know that teams do have people on staff ( or just contract out for a few weeks) that evaluate players in the draft..

These people are NOT football people but more or less like psychologists and they give teams a better idea of what a player is all about or is suppose to...

They are trained to do this where as scouts are not..Maybe thats Cinncys issue??

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure but it cant be that many.....I mean its not like baseball where they have tons of games being played year round and foreign prospects...basically they dont work until college football starts...

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Packers.com/staff:

Player Personnel
John Dorsey, Director of College Scouting
Reggie McKenzie, Director of Pro Personnel
John Schneider, Personnel Analyst to General Manager
Shaun Herock, Assistant Director of College Scouting (Midwest)
Lee Gissendaner, Scout (East Coast)
Brian Gutekunst, Scout (Southeast)
Alonzo Highsmith, Scout (Southwest)
Lenny McGill, Scout (Central Plains)
Sam Seale, Scout (West Coast)
Jon Eric Sullivan, Scout (National Football Scouting)
Tim Terry, Pro Personnel Assistant
Eliot Wolf, Pro Personnel Assistant

Your friend might be right. From the Bengals' website:

Cincinnati Bengals 2007 Staff Directory

PLAYER PERSONNEL
Pete Brown Senior Vice President - Player Personnel
Paul Brown Vice President - Player Personnel
Jim Lippincott Director of Football Operations
Duke Tobin Director of Player Personnel
Greg Seamon Scout
Earl Biederman
John Cooper
Bill Tobin Scouting Consultants
Debbie LaRocco Personnel Assistant

Reaction score
Ah, you beat me to it PackFaninBucLand.

TT himself is a GM who places a heavy emphasis on the draft, so I believe he'd be really keen on scouting, and that he is involved a great deal in scouting throughout the season.

Then you have John Dorsey and Shaun Herock who would be logically considered scouts (they head the scouting dept, but I'd have to assume they go out on certain games to watch players that catch their eye.

John Schneider is like the assistant to Ted, so I think he'd be sent out on some scouting trips too, or probably go with Ted to serve as a second set of eyes and ears.

Then you have 6 Scouts as listed above.

Throw in Reggie McKenzie, who has interviewed with team for the GM spot. Any GM has to be, at the very least, adequate in scouting so that makes me think McKenzie is involved to some extent in scouting. I also recall him saying he'd be dancing in the streets if Mario Williams fell to Green Bay last year, so I assume he had seen tape and scouted Williams a little bit if not more.

That makes 10 scouts, and I heard the average # of people involved heavily in scouting College talent for teams were 8-10 (from PFT.com). Bengals have 1 full time scout, and the rest are assistant coaches that double over as scouts once the season ends (from PFT.com also).

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I should have waited aadp, sounds like you're a lot better informed than I.

LoL ... such kind words

That's a great staff, we have a Wolf helping out!! I wonder if he confers with his father?

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: Packers also have very good working relations with numerous coaches who send in film of those palyers they believe ar worthy of any Packer interest.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts