How many draft picks do the Packers have?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of this posting the Packers appear to have the 5th choice in each of the first 5 rounds. Begining in round 3 some teams may gain compensatory picks that will add to the size of each round.

There appears to be some question regarding conditional picks.

1) There is a late round 6th or 7th as part of the McKenzie J.T. O'Sullivan trade. Some say is owed to New Orleans.

2) There is a late round pick due to Miami as park of the Bedell trade.

3) The Packers will receive a late round pick for OT Morely from the Jets.

Morely and Bedell picks should equal each other especially with the Jets and Packers drafting sequencially. The New Orleans owed pick is troublesome.

I just don't see compensatory picks coming to the Packers.

Cut players like Sharper, Wahle, Hunt, Luchey, do not count. Only who is lost and gained in free agency.

Klemm was a second rounder and starter when healthy.
O'Dwyer was a second round pick and he started more NFL games than Rivera. Rivera was a 6th round pick.
Ruegamer was a 3rd round pick signed as free agent but only after cut by the Packers.

Leonard Little, Arturo Freeman, and Todd Franz were fifth round picks. Little and Freeman were starters. Jue was situational player not a starter.

They sign 4 starters(though Klemm had been injured a lot) and two back ups yet lose one starter and a situational player.

When you add it up I just don't think the Packers get a compensatory pick.

So I think they get #5 through 5 rounds and then another pick.

4 of the picks will have to make the team.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first 3 picks should be a lock to make the team. I hope the first starts and becomes a Pro Bowler. The second should start and become a solid player, perhaps Pro Bowler. The third should contribute and become a starter. If we hit 50% on the last 2 we're there.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have five draft picks. Packer GM Ted Thompson was quoted as saying, he wants additional draft picks by the time NFL draft day comes.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would look and see if anyone has two 4th round picks and trade the third for them. I would not trade our first or second round pick since we should be able to get two starters and it is rare for us to pick this high. Our second round pick is only about 10 behind where we normally pick in the first round. But this is a draft rich in two need areas at LB and G and we need picks in the first 4 rounds not later.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
I would look and see if anyone has two 4th round picks and trade the third for them. I would not trade our first or second round pick since we should be able to get two starters and it is rare for us to pick this high. Our second round pick is only about 10 behind where we normally pick in the first round. But this is a draft rich in two need areas at LB and G and we need picks in the first 4 rounds not later.

That is a great plan IMHO.

Patriots, Jets and Broncos all have 2 fourth rounders and Philly has 3 fourth rounders.
Call Teddy and splain the wisdom of this.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I just don't see compensatory picks coming to the Packers.

Klemm was a second rounder and starter when healthy.
O'Dwyer was a second round pick and he started more NFL games than Rivera. Rivera was a 6th round pick.

I don't know how you can say that a 2 time Pro-bowler is equal to a player that was cut during training camp. Sure their draft position indicates that O'Dwyer is better than Rivera, but it's obvious that losing a pro-bowler on your OL has a major affect. So I think that GB should get a comp pick for Rivera.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby, I don't know if the grievence about being cut while injured will affect or not.

paxvogel- The Eagles have 3 4th round picks.

Anyone looking to trade down may want to consider Buffalo as a possible trading partner. The Packers would move from 5th pick to 8th and Buffalo could offer the extra 3rd round pick they have from the Titans for Travis Henry trade. Does Buffalo want to trade? I don't know but they have the ability. Some value chart may say it isn't worth it but....

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are likely to pick up a late Comp pick for Rivera.

While the Packers may find an opportunity to move down and still get value -- I think it important to remember that it is a rare opportunity to get a top line blue chip player. If both Hawk and Williams are available when the Pack goes on the clock they may chose a slight move down, depending upon how the board has unfolded and what the team wanting to move up is moving up for.

Members online

Latest posts