How Long Will AJ Hawk Last?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk was drafted in 2006 so this will be his ninth year in the league, all with Green Bay. He just turned 30 years old and possibly entering the twilight of his career. The up side is that he hasn't sustained bone-jarring hits....well....because he's not that type of tackler. He seems to have slimmed down over the past year - so much so that his helmet doesn't fit anymore. He may have realized that he's a bit of a finesse tackler and needed to get in better shape to prolong his career.

After his 2013 pay cut, he's not pinching our cap and continues to be the defensive captain and one of our most durable players. A good quote from an August 2013 article about his pay cut is below:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/...ut-more-interested-in-success-than-ego-thing/
"They put a price on durability here. They love guys who can be durable," Hawk said. "The general public, my parents, my wife doesn't see 98 percent of the things we do to stay on the field. I think as I've gotten older — I don't claim to be very smart, but I think I know how to take care of myself better than I did when I was young. I'm 29, (but) I feel better than when I was 20 in college. I definitely do physically and mentally. People may think I'm getting older, I think I'm starting to peak a little bit."

How long do you think Hawk will last with Green Bay, and how do you think that will factor into our ILB drafting strategy over the next few years? We may be in the market for an upgrade to Brad Jones - depending on how the staff graded him out. Are we in the market for two?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think as long as he can stay healthy he'll be with the Packers for the next handful of years (i suppose that would be 4 or 5 years). He IS durable, he knows EXACTLY what we're doing here, he is assignment sure, and he will be very affordable. Patrick Willis, he is NOT. But he's a stalwart, an anchor, a team leader.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk, as well as every other player, should play some role in our drafting strategy. I think every position should be open to improvement, and you never know when injury will make a position of strength into one of weakness very quickly. Hawk has been very healthy so far, but you just never know.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he seems to be getting better with age. Last season he was playing exceptionally well, until the Dline flopped.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the way the inside linebackers have been playing, Hawk can play until he decides to quit. He's dependable, starts every game and knows the playbook. Plus, the team has NOBODY better than him. He was one of the few positives on defense last year and is signed for a few more years. I have no reason to think he's going anywhere.

H

HardRightEdge

It would be difficult to replace both Jones and Hawk. If we replace one, I'd put my money on Hawk sticking for 2014.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see no reason he can't be one of the many linebackers who have played into their mid to late 30s.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My least fav packer most of the time. Taking a smaller salary had helped tho

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even know what to think of him any more. He has looked very good at times the past few years and has periods where he looked brutal. I don't think there's any way getting around the fact that he's smaller and will in fact get eaten up at times.

It just seams like certain games, play after play I watch him get locked up and fail to have any impact. I would have to agree with him however that, he has looked better at times the past few years than he ever did when he first came into the league.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he stays until they find somebody better.
At this point it's obvious that they have found nobody to fill his shoes.
Perhaps this will be the year.
I'd like to get Borland from Wisconsin or Bullough from Michigan State..
Or both.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
had insomnia last night so was out looking at alot of packer stuff. This video from Packers.comhttp://www.packers.com/media-center...shifting/6881886f-6f00-4bba-b35d-149824c2f32c

I think it highlights Hawks unappreciated value on this D. He has been a durable, solid player for a long time now. Not the kind of player we expected when he was drafted in the top 10, but, He is the QB of the D and as such I think it costs him in his stats and a step or two. There are a couple of plays in this video that show just how much of an impact this guy has on this D.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's up to me, this is his last season here. At the point of diminishing returns for a very replaceable guy.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If it's up to me, this is his last season here. At the point of diminishing returns for a very replaceable guy.
I don't think we have yet found the guy to replace him on the roster. I can't see any of our current ILB's replacing him, especially as the guy who has the helmet. So expect Hawk to be around a couple of more years at least.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have yet found the guy to replace him on the roster. I can't see any of our current ILB's replacing him, especially as the guy who has the helmet. So expect Hawk to be around a couple of more years at least.

His replacement isn't on the roster. It should be a priority in the draft and free agency. I appreciate the positives Hawk brings to the table, but his is a position that needs a serious upgrade. Too slow, not physical enough. Again, he's aging; diminishing returns . Time to replace both him and Jones.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk isn't one of those players who will ever dazzle you with fantastic plays, he's more of a assignment sure, durable, Cap friendly, sure tackler when he has a decent Dline, his numbers never show his true value to the Packersas long as McCarthy is coach he will get the most out of him 3-4yrs.
Jones on the other hand may lose his starting spot before seasons end if Lattimore can maintain his level of play he's cheaper younger, and can stay healthy longer than 3 wks.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linebacker - particularly ILB or MLB is the quarterback of the defense, meaning it's a cerebral position where brains often trumps brawn. As players get smarter over the year, they get better, even if there is a slight decrease in athletic ability. That's why a lot of LBs don't come into their own until their late 20's or even early 30's. As long as he stays healthy, he can be a reliable and effective linebacker for the next 5-7 years.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
had insomnia last night so was out looking at alot of packer stuff. This video from Packers.comhttp://www.packers.com/media-center...shifting/6881886f-6f00-4bba-b35d-149824c2f32c

I think it highlights Hawks unappreciated value on this D. He has been a durable, solid player for a long time now. Not the kind of player we expected when he was drafted in the top 10, but, He is the QB of the D and as such I think it costs him in his stats and a step or two. There are a couple of plays in this video that show just how much of an impact this guy has on this D.
Glad you posted that awesome and very informative video. I was thinking of doing it.
WYMM rocks and Spofford is the best and a real true Packers fan over that hack Vic on packers.com

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Glad you posted that awesome and very informative video. I was thinking of doing it.
WYMM rocks and Spofford is the best and a real true Packers fan over that hack Vic on packers.com
Maybe it's a generational thing but I think Vic is not only incredibly knowledgeable about the game, but his perspective of the game is spot on. You get that when you look at things over a very long timeline. I like Spofford too and WYMM is one of my favorite features during the week, but Vic's my guy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree, I don't find him insightful at all. So many better places to read about the packers, his Column is bottom of the barrel. I feel like some posters are not aware of the talent around the net that talk packers

Reaction score
Why are we talking about this anyways? Lets put things in perspective:

Jarrett Bush has been a Packer AS LONG as Hawk... That's possibly the most amazing fact on this forum.

Members online

Latest posts