How is Ferguson.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What an ***, there was no reason to put a hit down on someone like that. I have been searching the net for an update, but I haven't found one yet. If anyone comes across it please let us know!

jaggernaut1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard that Ferguson regained feeling in his legs on the trip to the hospital. I know I speak for other Jags fans when I say that we hope he is okay. That is not the type of hit that we want to be known for, and to my knowledge, Darius has never had anything like this happen before.

Many of you may disagree with me, but I honestly believe that it was not intentional to contact Ferguson's neck. They were both moving very fast, Ferguson was decending from his jump, and Darius was trying to make an arm tackle. It was just too high. I can't see any way that Darius could have pre-meditated a hit like that.

Hoping for the best for Ferguson.

Jaggernaut1

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To say that hit was unintentional is a joke ferguson was in the air and Darius made no attempt to go for his body the only effort he made was to clothesline him. To top things off del rio was on the sidelines smirking.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To top things off del rio was on the sidelines smirking.
That was quite annoying. You could at least show some compassion for an injured man, your team or the competition.

I hope he is smirking like that when he has to cut a check for the fine to the NFL. That hit was uncalled for, it could have ended his career, or worse.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2004/12/19/2/

Update On Robert Ferguson
posted 12/19/2004
Robert Ferguson

Related Information
: Packers-Jaguars Game Center

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Robert Ferguson suffered a sprained neck with 4:41 remaining in Sunday's game vs. Jacksonville. He will be kept at Bellin Hospital in Green Bay overnight for observation and further evaluation.

Ferguson has movement and sensation in all four of his extremities and is resting comfortably, according to Packers head trainer Pepper Burruss.

An evaluation will be made throughout this week by the team's medical staff relative to Ferguson's availability for Friday's game at Minnesota.

jaggernaut1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you ever had something not go your way and just laugh about it, or smirk in disbelief rather than throw a temper tantrum? People do that all the time, I do. Do you honestly believe that Darius or Jack are happy Ferguson got hurt? This is not Bill Romanowski here. If this was the kind of thing the coaches encouraged, then there would be a history of these things for our team. There isn't.

I understand you are upset, I am too, but you have no idea what was going on on that sideline. Darius didn't celebrate after the hit, he was concerned. It was a hit gone wrong on a player that was coming down from being in the air. 6 inches is the difference between the ball and Ferguson's neck. Two men, 200lbs each, full speed, one in the air, one's arm was 6 inches too high. It is unfortunate, but it was an accident. This IS football, it's a rough sport, and people get hurt.

I don't know any better than you why Jack was smiling. I'd suspect he was laughing at the unsportsmanlike call for an undeliberate hit.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1949749

Associated Press
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers wide receiver Robert Ferguson temporarily lost feeling in his legs Sunday night after a vicious clothesline hit by Jacksonville safety Donovin Darius.

Ferguson temporarily lost feeling in his legs after this clothesline from Darius.

Ferguson regained feeling on the way to a hospital after being taken from Lambeau Field in an ambulance.

Ferguson was diagnosed with a sprained neck, and team trainer Pepper Burruss said the receiver had movement and sensation in his arms and legs Sunday night. Ferguson was admitted to Bellin Hospital for observation overnight.

In a scene right out of the leather helmet days of the NFL more than a half-century ago, Darius swept in after Ferguson's leaping 31-yard grab of Brett Favre's pass at midfield. Darius hit the defenseless Ferguson across the neck, stunning the crowd and infuriating the Packers with 4:41 left in their 28-25 loss to the Jaguars. Darius was ejected.

Ferguson, according to teammates, was knocked unconscious. He gave a thumbs-up as he left the field on a stretcher, but didn't regain feeling in his legs until he'd left for a hospital for X-rays and further evaluation, coach Mike Sherman said.

"I thought it was a cheap shot," Sherman said.

Referee Ed Hochuli ejected Darius and tagged on 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"It's part of the game," Darius said. "Brett threw the ball and Ferguson was wide open. I was just running over trying to make a play, trying to separate him from the ball. I never intentionally try to hurt someone. I love to play the game and I play it 100 mph. Unfortunately, he got hurt. I pray for him. Everybody that saw it from our standpoint said it looked clean."

Packers tight end Bubba Franks said ejecting Darius was a good call because "I'm pretty sure it would have gotten out of hand if he'd have stayed in the game."

When Favre saw Ferguson wasn't getting up, he started yelling to the officials that it was a cheap shot.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said he was looking at the pass rush and didn't see the hit, so he declined comment.

But Packers receiver Antonio Chatman said it was clearly a dirty hit "because he got hit on the chin when he couldn't protect himself. I was just praying he was all right. We (receivers) don't go out to hurt nobody, or we'd be cutting them (defensive backs) every time. We block 'em like a man."

Darius said he's seen players stay in the game for hits worse than his.

"It was not intentional, I was just trying to make a play," he said. "I've done that in the past when I know I couldn't get an interception, I swung up, trying to get the ball. That's a technique."

Darius said he would appeal any fine the league hands down.

TheFavre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Solid Football

It was clearly an accidental hit. Unfortunately Jaggernaut you will get nothing but venom from these packer "fans" here on this board. Anyone who dares to play aggressively they'll call it dirty.

In truth, that is just good solid football. A couple decades ago, when tough guys dominated this league, that was just a good solid hit. Now, with the NFL rules committee doing EVERYTHING it can to protect QB's, WR's, and RB's it's not surprising that this kind of a hit produces the results it did today.

For my money we need more guys like the Romo-Raider (Bill Romanowski) who play tough. I like the quote from the old Raider (Ted Hendricks I think), "Quarterbacks ought to just play in a skirt."

But here at "packerforum.com" you'll get nothing but excuses and whining. Change the forum name to "packerwhiners.com" At least that would be honest.

jaggernaut1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TheFavre, the pack fans prior to this game were among the coolest ever. You should see the crap over on the Jags board now! I think they have come to take for granted all the wins @ home in the cold. It is hard to accept that they were outplayed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8017217

Check out a neutral take on the hit at the above link.

I've heard Ferguson is resting peacefully with a sprained neck. I am relieved to hear that he should be okay.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jaggernaut, they were out played you are right. We didn't deserver to win that game. Also I hope you don't lump the sum of uneducated moronic posts made on the Jags site in your collective packer fan bank, as they don't represent us all by any means.

TheFavre, maybe you should check out what your own viks fans are saying on purplepride. There are plenty that are agreeing that it was a cheap shot.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TheFavre is thinks more guys like Mr. Cheap Shot himself Bill Romanowski would be a good thing. No wonder he liked that play. That is utter garbage.

TheFavre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Jaggernaut....PM me a link to the Jags board. I'd love to see the whining going on over there.

jaggernaut1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I'll admit it was a bad hit. The penalty was justified simply because the rule shouldn't have to determine intent.

Apparently the Packer fans think that Darius the one of the fastest players in the league.

In less than one second:

He apparently decided to hurt Ferguson

He decided to go at his neck instead of his knees

He inticipated Fergusons forward and downward momentum

He positioned his body to make the hit

He elevated his arm to precisely contact Fergusons neck

Made the hit.

All in less than a second, man that guy is fast. And after such athletic and testosterone-pumping prowess, did he celebrate? No, he stopped dead in his tracks and looked to the player with concern.

Isn't it slightly more likely that he tried to swat at the ball and missed by a few inches? Come on people, if he was that type of player, something like this would have happened over the last several years. It hasn't.

Even Marv Levy on NFL.com felt that it wasn't intentional.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For darius to call that a technique tackle is just utterly ridiculous. Come on jaggernaut you know that was a BS hit. Even his own teammates was giving him heat for it. Then for your coach to argue with the referee about him being ejected and then say he didn't see it come on dude. How could he not see it I'm sure they played it on the Jumbo Tron. He saw it. This is just another example of a No Class coach. I now rank him right behind Mike Tice, and Mike Martz in coaches with no class in the NFL.

jaggernaut1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. It was a bad hit, everyone can see that based on the result of the play. The NFL can't allow it to go without a penalty, and I agree. But that doesn't prove intent to injure. It does not make him a headhunter. The ball was 8 inches or less from where he made contact with his arm. Can you deny that? Is it not good football technique to try to jar the ball loose while a receiver is in the air? Clearly the result of this attempt was bad, and deserved a penalty, but it is just as clear that he was using a technique making a play toward the ball that would have been perfectly fine if it had been a few inches lower. I suppose he should have just let him skip into the endzone?

And tell me what coach doesn't argue with the ref about having a player ejected.

TheFavre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packer4ever

This ought to be good. Please explain how, in your twisted universe, Mike Tice and Mike Martz are bad or dirty coaches? I forgot the word you used in your post. And while you're at it explain how Jack del Rio is as well.

This really should be good for a laugh.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I didn't say they were dirty coaches I said they were coaches with NO CLASS and if you don't think Mike Tice and Mike martz are bad coaches you need to get your head examined. What I'm saying is all thses coaches have the same problem arrogance. They are all soooo arrogant that common sense doesn't even apply. No one is right but them. Jack saw what happened you know he did, and a coach with CLASS would have said "I'm sorry and our thoughts are with Robert." That's class. But you'll never hear that from these coaches. The saddest part is you'll ( TheFavre) never know what class is because you've got your head in your culpepper and as long as your a viqueens fan the only class you'll have is when Brett takes your team to school.

Darius_Rules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is football, people are gonna get hurt once in awhile, accidents happen. hopefully ferguson will be ok but to call darius a dirty player for one bad is just wrong.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Good Solid Football

TheFavre said:
Unfortunately Jaggernaut you will get nothing but venom from these packer "fans" here on this board. Anyone who dares to play aggressively they'll call it dirty.

In truth, that is just good solid football. A couple decades ago, when tough guys dominated this league, that was just a good solid hit.

I swear you say the dumbest $hit ever.

John4Jags

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who has watched Darius play over the years knows that the hit on ferguson, while tragic, was not intentional. While I hope Ferguson comes back soon, I also think you might want to consider cutting Darius a little slack. It was obvious from watching him on the sidelines after the play that he was visably shaken.

DVDJag

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like to give my concern to Ferguson.
It is also good to know that he is doing better.
I am sure Ferguson will here something from Darius because I know what kind of man he is.

It's a rough game, but no one likes to see injuries and when it involves the spine or neck then the injury gets magnified because a persons life can be involved.

On the light side,
Hopefully Ferguson will recover fast and maybe say he is thankful that he didn't break his hip and be out of football for good.

By the way how is that other GB lineman doing? Has he recovered from the Sap incident?

Members online

Latest posts