how important are stats

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three reasons why the Packers are 4-0

Mike McCarthy

Brett Favre

DEFENSE

9th in points stands out the most to me.

As far as yards goes I could care less right now. The Packers contain Westbrook and LT this season which to me proves they are for real. Look what LT did when he actually faced an average defense in Kansas City. He thrashed them.

Westbrook got his yards on us but was out of the end zone. He had more yards and touchdowns on the Lions in the first half then he did a full 60 minutes against the Packers.

The defining moment to me was when Favre fumbled against the Eagles and Philly had the ball in good field position. The defense forced a 3 and out.

The Defense is definitely for real. One of the best ones in the NFC in my opinion. I wouldn't say it's flat out amazing yet but it's a very well put together group.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mike McCarthy

Brett Favre

DEFENSE

As far as yards goes I could care less right now. The Packers contain Westbrook and LT this season which to me proves they are for real. Look what LT did when he actually faced an average defense in Kansas City. He thrashed them.

Westbrook got his yards on us but was out of the end zone. He had more yards and touchdowns on the Lions in the first half then he did a full 60 minutes against the Packers.

The defining moment to me was when Favre fumbled against the Eagles and Philly had the ball in good field position. The defense forced a 3 and out.

The Defense is definitely for real. One of the best ones in the NFC in my opinion. I wouldn't say it's flat out amazing yet but it's a very well put together group.

I agree with those 3.

Personally, I haven't given MM enough credit. He's done a fine job.
Last year, he was HORRIBLE at half-time adjustments. We'd go into the half with a close game and the other team will make their adjustments and kill us in the 2nd half.

This year, he's done a 180. Now, it's MM who does the killer half-time adjustments.

MM is probably the one to keep KGB. KGB has done a wonderful job in his new role and I definitely want him back next year.

MM has also worked out a good game plan. Last year, his play calling was predictable and conservative. Now, he calls what we need. We're aggressive and in your face. Other teams can't handle that, as we've proved with our 4-0 record so far.

So, there's my credit to MM. If I weren't in bed sick, I'd be drinking to MM tonight. Go Pack!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only statistics that counts is the Packers scored more points then each one of their 4 opponets and have gone 4-0 thus far. And only allow 2 TD and 5 Field goals equals 29 points in 3rd and 4th Quarters of first 4 games they played this year.

The Bears gave up 34 points in the Fourth Quarter of game last Week . And Lions defense has allowed 121 points in 4 games. And your complaining about the Packer defense.

The Vikings have al lowed the least points in NFC North 59 points but are 1-3 and have scored 67 points. The Packers have scored 105 points and allowed 66 points. And again, have 4 victories.

This early in the season, all statistics can be misleading. The final statistics is how many wins and how many losses, the teams have at the end of the season.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Scoring defense is the prime stat to rank your defense... that is unless everyone is changing their tune from when we had a low ranked scoring D and high ranked yardage D and everybody and their grandmothers were saying our D was overrated.
2. It's FAR too early to draw any meaningful conclusions from STATS. A 4 game sample is tiny. Maybe halfway through the season you can look at stats alone and draw some conclusions, but right now, neh.
3. Look at how our defense performs when the game is on the line. Late in the Eagles game, they forced two 3 and outs before the muffed punt that led to our winning field goal. Giants was such a blowout there really wasn't any clutch moment. Against San Diego they stopped the Chargers twice late in the game to try and get the go ahead score. Against the Vikings they get a late INT to seal the game after a silly fumble.

Statistically, we're not kicking ***, but they get the damn job done when we need it most. That is a game changing defense.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
I'm sure those stats are amplified by this most recent game, at least in the rushing yards and such.

All that matters in the end if the # of wins and losses.

OK, but aren't other teams going to try and exploit the Packers defense the way the Vikes have?

and what about the passing stats?
I thought we had shut down corners, and a great pass rush.

dhpackr,

You are right here. I already gave my prediction in the Bears thread that we should not be surprised to see the Bears throw against us for some points this next game. Certain parts of our D are great but there are holes that other teams will by now have found out and capitalize on. Your worry is a legitimate one.

GO PACK GO !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so Al harris and chuck have a bad day, so we no longer have shutdown corners?

Our D shuts down LT and Westbrook, but Peterson has a great game, so our rush defense isn't so great anymore?

wow.

Its 1 game. If it happens consistently it's a problem, but....ya know what, screw it. Lets freak out over it. whooooo!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mike McCarthy

Brett Favre

DEFENSE

Agree with all three points porky88 but at the same time can see where we could have been in a bit more trouble if opposing teams had focused on our weakness's a bit more.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the Packers weakness on Defense? Last year it was giving up the big play but with Manuel out, it appears to of gone away. Yes Bush gave up a big touchdown to Rice but we were fooling ourselves if we thought this team wouldn't allow at least a few deep passes this year. Every defense does sooner or later. The only thing that will hold this defense back right now is injuries in my opinion. Defensively they've been rock solid.

The main weakness this team has is the running game and that is a HUGE weakness. The plus is that it's our problem and opposing teams can't take it away unless they stop Brett Favre and the short passing game.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've gotta hold their lanes on running plays, especially the linebackers. That has been the biggest problem so far this year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm glad Adrian didn't get much more than 2 carries in the second half. He was starting to scare me. The guy looks GOOOOOOD.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This didn't seem like a TT thread, but alas....

Honestly I really see a Jekyll and hyde with our defense.

Our first half defense is slightly above average.

Our second half defense is definitely top 3-4 in the league behind the pats and maybe the bears.

If we can get our defense to play the whole game like they do in the second half, we will have a top 4 defense no doubt in my mind.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the Packers weakness on Defense? Last year it was giving up the big play but with Manuel out, it appears to of gone away. Yes Bush gave up a big touchdown to Rice but we were fooling ourselves if we thought this team wouldn't allow at least a few deep passes this year. Every defense does sooner or later. The only thing that will hold this defense back right now is injuries in my opinion. Defensively they've been rock solid.

I agree with you to a certain extent but I think MM and Woodson sum it up pretty good here: http://packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12237

Cheers !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts