How good would the D have played?.......

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How good would the D have played Monday if Bates was still D.C.?

How would the season be shaping up right now with Bates running the whole show?

Just food for thought, but I personally think the Packers let a future great coach get away when they did not offer him the head coaching opportunity.

This is not a bash the coaching staff thread, it is just my humble opinion that a good and possibly great coach got away.

3 years from now we will know.

R.P.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it would have been great if bates was head coach. he has been coaching for a while now.

a team will do better if it has a good expirenced coach.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
R.P I can tell you:

Much more better that how they played, no way Jim Bates will let his Defense play that bad.

About how good the whole team will look with Jim Bates I have the same answer.

Bates came in and changed the defense the minute he step in the field, he is a big force, he is a strog coach who likes to win and has a lot of stamina , so much that his players get it also.

Now we have a coach that looks like a fat deer in the headlights when he is on the sidelines.

I really hope I am wrong but IMHO the worst mistake of TT will be the hiring of MM.

Time will tell..

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.465151+-
I don't really know how anybody can say TT was the worst mistake the organization ever made, than you might as well blame Bob Harlan and Ron Wolf, lets give the man a chance for cripes sake.

On the Bates as Head Coach, I really wanted him and thought we were about to hire him but I think something happened in that one or two weeks and TT decided he could not work with Bates, You have to admit something is off when the dolphins let him go and nobody else hired him as head coach after the packers let him go. Time will tell if he ever get hired as head coach it might happen but I just thing something is wrong and he is just suited to be a d- cordinator.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfanfourever said:
I don't really know how anybody can say TT was the worst mistake the organization ever made, than you might as well blame Bob Harlan and Ron Wolf, lets give the man a chance for cripes sake.

On the Bates as Head Coach, I really wanted him and thought we were about to hire him but I think something happened in that one or two weeks and TT decided he could not work with Bates, You have to admit something is off when the dolphins let him go and nobody else hired him as head coach after the packers let him go. Time will tell if he ever get hired as head coach it might happen but I just thing something is wrong and he is just suited to be a d- cordinator.

I agree, let's see if he gets a HC job anywhere. If both Miami and GB passed on him, it leaves one to wonder....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Bates would have made a great HC, but that doesn't necessarily mean that MM was the wrong hire. TT, in my opinion, hired MM to give his first ever first round pick as GM the best chance at succeeding. Who knows whether he's right, but it's tough to succeed in the NFL without a good QB so this might have been the right way to go.

gbcheese1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Bates as much as anybody and really wish he would have stayed as D coordinator, however, like everything else such a SHORT MEMORY everyone has after a bad game..................let's see last year with Bates as our D coordinator and I quote
no way Jim Bates will let his Defense play that bad.

Mon., Dec. 19 @ Baltimore Ravens 8 p.m. L 3-48

It's almost sickening going to these different forums and reading the crap that people post. I used to think we had the best fans in the league good and bad years, but lately I question that. I live in Minneapolis and reading these boards is almost as bad as the damn Queen fans loving them one weekend and not being a fan the next.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wish bates was hired as HC. i'm sure ted thought that sanders was bates' right hand guy so he would be as good as bates, and then he could hire an offensive minded coach to run the show. it doesn't always work out as well as you'd like. and i don't like to make a habit of criticizing past decisions based on present events, but i wish bates was still with the organization.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
the worst mistake the orginazition made was hireing tt.

You are as right as rain umair! TT is just wasting the Packers time and putting the final nails in Favres career.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Who can you guarantee would have done better as the Packers GM?

Ted was hired Jan. 14, 2005. Who was available? Who would have done better? How do you know for sure someone would have done better and why?

I would just like to know how you know more than Bob Harlan. If you do not wish to post your sources or 'tricks' could you please email them to the Packers CEO so they can get the best man for the job?

I will add this. It was a mistake (in my opinion) letting both Wahle and Rivera leave the Packers. I agree with whoever thinks the same on that issue.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Harlan, he never really looked at or interviewed anybody else other than TT. He talked to a couple of friends about him and then called Ron Wolf, and Wolf told him he thought he'd do a good job. Harlan then interviewed him and offered him the job.

No one will ever know if anyone else could have done a better job than TT, and it's pointless to discuss it. TT will be judged on the product he puts on the field and that product now includes the abilities of MM & his staff. If that product doesn't produce victories this year or next my guess is that TT will be fired after next season. There is absolutely no way the Packers organization and their fans will put up with 3 losing seasons in a row.

I wonder if Harlan could do it over again if he'd make the same decision today.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
According to Harlan, he never really looked at or interviewed anybody else other than TT. He talked to a couple of friends about him and then called Ron Wolf, and Wolf told him he thought he'd do a good job. Harlan then interviewed him and offered him the job.

No one will ever know if anyone else could have done a better job than TT, and it's pointless to discuss it. TT will be judged on the product he puts on the field and that product now includes the abilities of MM & his staff. If that product doesn't produce victories this year or next my guess is that TT will be fired after next season. There is absolutely no way the Packers organization and their fans will put up with 3 losing seasons in a row.

I wonder if Harlan could do it over again if he'd make the same decision today.

i THINK he interviewed bates, but i dont know why he wasnt hired.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Randy Mueller!

This hiring former employees in Green Bay is getting old and stale.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gbcheese1 said:
I liked Bates as much as anybody and really wish he would have stayed as D coordinator, however, like everything else such a SHORT MEMORY everyone has after a bad game..................let's see last year with Bates as our D coordinator and I quote
no way Jim Bates will let his Defense play that bad.

Mon., Dec. 19 @ Baltimore Ravens 8 p.m. L 3-48

It's almost sickening going to these different forums and reading the crap that people post. I used to think we had the best fans in the league good and bad years, but lately I question that. I live in Minneapolis and reading these boards is almost as bad as the damn Queen fans loving them one weekend and not being a fan the next.

My thoughts exactly. I was going to mention that Ravens game as well. And that was a REGULAR SEASON game. Thanks for saving me the time of having to write my own post. Please post again sometime.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
My thoughts exactly. I was going to mention that Ravens game as well. And that was a REGULAR SEASON game. Thanks for saving me the time of having to write my own post. Please post again sometime.

Who cares, Jim Bates bought the players Big Mac's at lunch time.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
Greg C. said:

Who cares, Jim Bates bought the players Big Mac's at lunch time.

What on earth are you talking about? Am I missing something here?

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I would just like to know how you know more than Bob Harlan.

LMAO....Bob Harlan??? Bob Harlan is a joke. He had to call senile Ron Wolf to get his opinion on who to hire as the new GM. Harlan couldn't even make up his own mind.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
Zero2Cool said:

LMAO....Bob Harlan??? Bob Harlan is a joke. He had to call senile Ron Wolf to get his opinion on who to hire as the new GM. Harlan couldn't even make up his own mind.

Bob Harlan a joke?

Who hired Ron Wolf who helped bring the Packers back to the 'glory days' ?

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
BoydAvery said:
Zero2Cool said:

Bob Harlan a joke?

Who hired Ron Wolf who helped bring the Packers back to the 'glory days' ?

Bob Harlan didn't even hire Ron Wolf on his own. Harlan hired Wolf on someone else's suggestion.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
Zero2Cool said:

Randy Mueller!

This hiring former employees in Green Bay is getting old and stale.

That's simple opinion. That's nothing concrete. That's not proof. That's ... your opinion.

Facts. That's what I want to see. I want to see how and why he'd do a better job than Ted Thompson without a doubt.

Don't even try to prove it because, you can't!

All you have is your opinion. As I agree hiring former people is stale I have to disagree with your opinion until I see more of Ted and the Packers.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randy Mueller knows how to rebuild a team. You will soon see that Ted Thompson lacks that ability.

Randy Mueller joined New Orleans in January 2000, when the team revamped its staff after going 3-13 in 1999, and he soon hired head coach Jim Haslett.

Mueller inherited a team with few high draft picks, thanks in large part to the deal for Ricky Williams. But Mueller rebuilt the roster with productive free agents and shrewd trades, including acquiring quarterback Aaron Brooks from Green Bay.

The Saints rebounded to go 10-6 in the 2000 regular season, finishing atop the NFC West, and beat reigning Super Bowl champion St. Louis in a first-round playoff game.

Randy Mueller, who was the 2000 NFL Executive of the Year for helping the franchise get its first playoff victory.

Members online

Latest posts