How fast was TE Tony Gonzalez at 1997 combine?

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious what he ran and I can't seem to find that. Appreciate it if someone could find a link to that. Wondering about the kid Pettigrew who didn't run a great 40 time at combine as a lot of people have compared him to Tony Gonzalez. Thanks

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldnt find any times but brandon doesnt have to be fast hes a possesion guy with great hands and thats really all that matters.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get too caught in 40 times Flyguy. It is a important stat but isn't going to tell you much about whether a player can be a Tony Gonzales type.

A-rodg is correct when he states that Pett is not worth a Top Ten pick. Pett is the best TE in this draft but I have Shawn Nelson second to him and I would like to see Ted grab him with one of the 2 third round selections. Neither player is outstanding to me and I feel Nelson will be the better pro player.

Nelson ran a 4.56 at this years combine I believe. That is pretty quick for a 6'5 250 TE. It's the same time Aaron Curry ran this year. Granted we are talking about a LB and a TE but both players are quick.

Let me tell you this.....I've seen Nelson run in games in person and he could fly by Donald Lee all day long.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Chase Coffman? I think he will be good in the pros. Also, if you want to talk about physical tools, Jared Cook really impressed in the combine. But hey, don't we have Finley? He could be good, he just lacks experience, like when he dropped that 4th and 1, don't remeber the game...

OP
OP
F

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sold on Pettigrew as a solid, safe pick in a draft full of land mines!!! The pick of Pettigrew would fit Teddy T's entire profile of being all about the "no sizzle"!!! Love Pettigrew as a pro TE, but can you get any more "non sizzling" than a 263lb blocking TE that runs a 4.85 40 yard dash!!! Am I the only one that sees how this is in the near future. Teddy wants no part of any risky business when he is going to have to open that creaky old checkbook to the tune of a big dollar commitment at pick 9.
Way too scary taking one of those DE/OLB edge guys. You have no idea what your getting when you take a college DE that has played with hand down for past few years, always going forward. Now you want him standing up and he also has to cover people in the pass defense going backwards, and oh yeah not too mention the adjustment of speed,power, and size he has to deal with stepping into the real deal NFL from college. Man that is an awful lot of adjustments, thats why Pettigrew keeps looking shinier and shinier folks!!!
If not Pettigrew at nine. Ted wants to trade down big time and will take any move down he can land. Maybe move a few spots and still take the TE if thats all he can pull off. Could be hard to find partners to move down this year, would say two possible great situations for GB could be Mark Sanchez QB or Andre Smith OT both high profile guys that could have suitors who want to jump ahead of SF at pick ten to snag one of those two guys.

Members online

Latest posts