How Far We've Come

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure that a few of you will take this in the direction of "we're heading this way again" but this is a great article that I found while doing some Packers research. It gives a month-by-month tally of ineptitude that we suffered through in 1991, the season before Holmgren was hired. At the end it mentions beating the Vikings in Minnesota, which (I'm going off memory) I believe cost Jerry Burns his job....leading to the hiring of Denny Green. I'll have to look that up too:

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/216701151.html
A generation of Packers fans has known nothing but success.

But trust me. It hasn't always been this way.

I'm not old enough to hark back to the dark decade before Lombardi. But having lived in Green Bay since 1975 and covered the team since the late 1970s, it isn't hard to recall the bleak landscape of the post-Lombardi era.

For one who chronicled that quarter century of mismanagement and despair, it's almost surreal to see the Packers' organization now so widely regarded as the model for football and financial achievement.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I remember those years well. The rare wins were celebrated like playoff victories and a loss was just business as usual. It wasn't a lack of indivdual talent but the Packers just couldn't build a complete team. Before free agency it was draft & develop for the entire league. The Packers fortunes didn't really turn around until Free Agency, as we currently know it, began in 1992. It is ironic that free agency gave the Packers the opportunity to compete and it is what they have turned their backs on.

Link:
Free Agency

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Lindy Infante football was good, Hall of Fame stuff compared to Forrest Gregg and Bart's seasons... hahaha.... ah... but what a party it was in the Lambeau Parking lot and inside the stadium. You know, there was a time when you could bring your own beer and booze INSIDE ... that numbed a lot of pain. ;0

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lindy Infante football was good, Hall of Fame stuff compared to Forrest Gregg and Bart's seasons... hahaha.... ah... but what a party it was in the Lambeau Parking lot and inside the stadium. You know, there was a time when you could bring your own beer and booze INSIDE ... that numbed a lot of pain. ;0
Been there, done that!
The beauty of the good old days, is, we didn't have the world wide web to tell us that the Packers were that bad.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things have changed.
Instead of losing seasons, now we have winning seasons and losing playoffs.
Which sucks and is getting frustrating and old.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet all you guys were really sad when the dinosaurs died
The more we connect through technology, the more we disconnect from real people in person.

"Smart" phone? Ha!
And you will not get my landline phone until you pry it from my cold dead hands!

Reaction score
Didn't need the web or ESPN or talking heads or fantasy sports... We had barber shops and bars.
The radio to listen to games during hunting season ..
And pay phones to call mom and let her know we won't be home for supper ;)

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Speaking of old telephones, here's some trivia for the dinosaurs:

Without using the Internet: What was Junior's phone number?

Members online

Latest posts