How do we keep AP from running wild in our secondary?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously putting 9 in the box does not work against this guy so we need to approach this differently. I've never seen a back run harder and more determined than AP in my 26 yr's of life. I've watched the greats or at least highlights of guy's like Walter P, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, and Erick ****erson just to name a few but AP is a different monster.

This guy is at full speed at the drop of a dime and the combination of power and speed is astonishing. You cannot arm tackle him as we seen with our **** poor efforts last time we faced them:tdown: guy's just flying in there without wrapping up are going to get embarassed. These guy's are professional athletes so they need to focus on the fundamentals and proper technique. My ideal is to send him Chocolate chip Ex-lax cookies but they probably won't arrive on time. :cautious:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Force them to run to the outside, over load the right side with one extra guy and hope that they have him run more towards CM3......Clay has a good history vs peterson, just check youtube out...lol.

There is no real true way to shut down a RB like peterson, you just have to slow him down and play against his strengths. Slow down the game on offense, long drives not only wear down their defense, but it will keep AP off the field. Just like last time we played them....yes he tore us up in the first 3 Qtrs, but the 4th Qtr we had an 11 min drive that kept him off the field. I say we stick to the plan we had in the 4 Qtr of the last game we played them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously putting 9 in the box does not work against this guy so we need to approach this differently. I've never seen a back run harder and more determined than AP in my 26 yr's of life. I've watched the greats or at least highlights of guy's like Walter P, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, and Erick ****erson just to name a few but AP is a different monster.

This guy is at full speed at the drop of a dime and the combination of power and speed is astonishing. You cannot arm tackle him as we seen with our **** poor efforts last time we faced them:tdown: guy's just flying in there without wrapping up are going to get embarassed. These guy's are professional athletes so they need to focus on the fundamentals and proper technique. My ideal is to send him Chocolate chip Ex-lax cookies but they probably won't arrive on time. :cautious:

No one ran harder than Earl Campbell. Not even AP.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we will agree to disagree.

I'll assume you have seen the tatum hit and the isiah robertson hit.

Most people havent seen this one though. Only twice in my life have I seen someone throw another ftball player. The other was reggie white.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the great Jim Brown who piled up all kinds of yards in 14 game seasons 50 years ago. The Browns had a balanced passing attack along with a pretty good defense. There was a game in 1965 when the mediocre Los Angeles Rams held him to under 30 yards rushing with that famous Fearsome Foursome. They somehow smothered the line of scrimmage.

The Packers of the Lombardi era had to face Brown and the Browns on 3 separate occasions. 3 times we won.
Usually, Lombardi's answer to slowing down #32 was simply to pit his offense against the Browns' offense.
And what came about was that the Browns had a lot more trouble stopping Taylor, Hornung, Dowler, and Starr than we did stopping Brown, Ryan, Collins, and Warfield.
The best offense can be the best defense. Let's just go put up points like we did last year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Walter and AP run very similar..Both can blast through someone, while having the speed to out run others..

Earl had very different running style...

Being only 26, and only seeing "highlights" it is hard to really make a judgement on who runs harder..Not saying your opinion is wrong...Just pointing out that all you havent seen all the evidence to make a TRUE judgement call

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll assume you have seen the tatum hit and the isiah robertson hit.

Most people havent seen this one though. Only twice in my life have I seen someone throw another ftball player. The other was reggie white.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

lol yea those were classic runs to say the least.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having Clay back will help a great deal. He makes the whole defense better. AP will still likely get 100+ yards against us, but that alone isn't going to be enough. AP makes them very, very dangerous. Ponder makes them very, very beatable.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Walter and AP run very similar..Both can blast through someone, while having the speed to out run others..

Earl had very different running style...

Being only 26, and only seeing "highlights" it is hard to really make a judgement on who runs harder..Not saying your opinion is wrong...Just pointing out that all you havent seen all the evidence to make a TRUE judgement call

That is why i said i will agree to disagree haha. This is just my opinion of course, but it's kinda like saying Micheal Jordan is the greatest player of all time to someone who watched Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlin in their prime.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bj and Clay are the guys that we need to slow him down. Bj has been really good the last couple games slicing through and blowing up run play. Clay has done the same. You need to hit him as soon as he gets the ball or else you are counting on luck to stop him. Pack by 10+ we slow AP down and they have a hard time getting first downs! CM3 is a big reason why.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Cobb, and Finley. I want to see these guys play in the same game for once.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is why i said i will agree to disagree haha. This is just my opinion of course, but it's kinda like saying Micheal Jordan is the greatest player of all time to someone who watched Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlin in their prime.
I could say he is the best RB of my generation.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could say he is the best RB of my generation.

It's a smaller group to compare to but still a pretty good one. Marshall Faulk was a great great RB. You also have Tomlinson in the discussion. Terrell Davis should get more praise than he does.

AP is great and has had not only a great line but some great full backs as well. I don't think enough attention is given to fullbacks in these amazing seasons rbs have. Lorenzo Neal was crushing people when he led the way for Tomlinson. Minnesota is the same way this season.

At minimum Minnesota has had 2 HOF level offensive linemen since AP has been there. Then they bring in a center and left tackle who are as good as anyone in the league at the respective positions.

Not to take away anything from AP, he is a HOF player. Should crack the top 10 of all time as far as running backs go when it's all said and done.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is too easy: How do we keep AP from running wild in our secondary? Tackle him before he gets into the secondary! (;))

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Brown was the hardest hitter of all time. That guy was a beast. He would literally carry defenders on his back. He was the original Superman. Never saw anyone since that is close to his equal.

Meanwhile back to AP, slip something in his gatorade to make him sleepy.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw video on NFL.com where he indicates his intention on breaking this record. This could be a great opportunity to force fumbles as he struggles for extra yards. Remember the last NFC championship game they played.

The whole Vikings situation almost reminds me of the John Brockington days in that we had little else going for us at the time.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this talk about AP getting the all-time record is overshadowing the fact that he still needs 102-yards to crack 2,000 yards. I think it would be the perfect ending to the Vikes season to hold him under the 2,000 barrier. And frankly, I think it's possible.

AP's season has been a story of a few long runs to go along with mostly short-gains. He's a 2-, 3-, 1-, 0-, 70, 0-, etc. in his running. When he posted 210 against us, it was due to 3 runs of substantial gains. Otherwise, he was held in check. And that was without Clay and CJ. With Clay and CJ back, I think this defense can hold him under 100-yards. They can sell-out on the run game b/c Christian Steele is just awful. And we also have an elite secondary that can control the Vikes WR's without much help. Remember, we've only allowed 2-rb's to crack 100-yards in a game: AP and Gore.

Ultimately, I think AP gets to 2,000. But, I don't think it will be by much.

Members online

Latest posts