How come we never hate the Lions?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We always hate the Bears and Vikes.
How come not the Lions?
Is it because we feel sorry for them coming from the crummy city of Detroit?
They are the team we beat the most often as a div. rival?
Favre didn't go to them and they are not Da Bears?
Their fans are not as arrogant and we feel sorry for them that live in Detroit?
What is it about the Lions that make them the lovable losers?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How come not the Lions?
Who is we?…. I hate them plenty lol.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than the Thanksgiving Day Massacre in '62, I'm hard-pressed to think of a game that meant much, and that one was just spoiling a perfect season. I'd say we hold little animosity for the Lions because they're pretty much irrelevant, although a number of the suggested reasons are also reasonable.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because they're irrelevant.
If they somehow got better then they would be relevant?

I want to understand the logic because Vikes and Bears have sucked for years and have not been a big threat to us either.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get sick of fans that hate other teams.....leading to illogical mindsets and sets a terrible example to kids and youths. Many a Bears fan of mine despise how I can talk about things nuanced, they cannot discuss anything Packers except with a lens colored with hate. It is so stupid of fans IMO.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I get sick of fans that hate other teams.....leading to illogical mindsets and sets a terrible example to kids and youths. Many a Bears fan of mine despise how I can talk about things nuanced, they cannot discuss anything Packers except with a lens colored with hate. It is so stupid of fans IMO.
Now, hating on other team's fans ... the blow-holes anyway... that's another matter all together

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they somehow got better then they would be relevant?

I want to understand the logic because Vikes and Bears have sucked for years and have not been a big threat to us either.

Minnesota and Chicago are far from elite franchises, but they are head and shoulders above the lowly Lions. They're far more relevant the vast majority of the time and present a much tougher test to the Packers.

Win % since 2000:

-Packers: .635 (3rd)
-Vikings: .513 (13th)
-Bears: .484 (16th)
-Lions: .348 (31st)

The Lions have won 10+ games in a season five times since 1978 (when the league went to a 16 game season). Packers have done that twenty times in the same span.

Green Bay's win % is also higher against Detroit (.582) than against Minnesota (.533) and Chicago (.520).

And yeah, if they started winning with some consistency, they would be relevant.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much what everyone else said. They never really pose much of a threat so they kind of get forgotten about. I'm in the small minority of Packer fans however who really doesn't mind the Bears. All things being equal I'll root for the Bears over the Lions most of the time. In fact I'd probably root for the Bears more often than not if it weren't for the whole "whatever benefits the Packers most" thing. The vikings, now that's a different story. I can think of very few times when I would root for a viking win. It would probably have to be in the last 4 games of the season and a win by them would have to have a direct and immediate benefit for the Packers. The Lions, I really don't care.

Reaction score
I also don’t get the hate. I enjoy the diversity of cities and it’s always a topic of conversation of how people became fans. Plus we’re obviously the only smart ones so I guess I feel sorry for them. :tup:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than the Thanksgiving Day Massacre in '62, I'm hard-pressed to think of a game that meant much, and that one was just spoiling a perfect season. I'd say we hold little animosity for the Lions because they're pretty much irrelevant, although a number of the suggested reasons are also reasonable.
That one meant a lot though. I'm sure I watched it on TV. Like you said, it broke up an undefeated season though I don't remember thinking about that. I guess Detroit had a really good team that year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In memory of my grandfather (who said Hallas paid off the refs), and for sake of tradition, I will almost always want the bears to lose. Can I have a friendly banter with a bear's fan w/o saying anything nice...yeah, sure. Same with the vikes. Detroit is like...maybe next year pal. or I think Stafford is a good player ;).

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings - Let's see: delusional fan base; ridiculous homer announcers, whining, crybaby players; stupidest, ugliest stadium in the NFL

Bears - cheap shots since 2014; bad blood between Ditka and the Packers; delusional fan base.

Detroit - None of the above. There really isn't a good reason to hate the Lions other than they are in the squalid NFC North division and play the Packers twice a season.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions show a lot of heart. I remember the Barry Sanders era - saw my first game at Lambeau in 94 w Sanders and Reggie. Other than that they pretty much should have their home stadium moved to Tottenham...:roflmao::cautious::sneaky:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, there are some fans that can be insufferable. NE fans down here got pretty darn smug until Brady left. Bears fans aren't too bad. The ribbing is good natured. MN fans here are the worst, tho. There is one guy in my retirement community who gets snooty whenever the Vikes beat us. Good grief. I hold my tongue when I want to tell him to go dust his empty trophy case! lol

Reaction score
I used to hate Detroit, when StompSuey was on their team. They had a couple dirty guys.
I forgot about that. Yeah they played some ghetto stomp ball there. Plus MN was just looking to end Rodgers career. That was very apparent in the Anthony Barr egregious play that would have him ejected and heavily fined with todays rule. Matter fact it was so glaringly apparent that Barr play changed the league ruling on that type unnecessary play.

In our division im going
Vikings worst
Detroit a bit dirty
I’ll go Bears last but much out of respect we’ve had a long, deep rivalry. The Bears don’t really bother me for whatever reason and I sorta respect their history.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot about that. Yeah they played some ghetto stomp ball there. Plus MN was just looking to end Rodgers career. That was very apparent in the Anthony Barr egregious play that would have him ejected and heavily fined with todays rule. Matter fact it was so glaringly apparent that Barr play changed the league ruling on that type unnecessary play.

In our division im going
Vikings worst
Detroit a bit dirty
I’ll go Bears last but much out of respect we’ve had a long, deep rivalry. The Bears don’t really bother me for whatever reason and I sorta respect their history.
The hit on Devante by Trevathan was really dirty imo and could have caused really serious injury. I have disliked that guy ever since.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How come not the Lions?

Lovable losers.

If the Lions ever become a legitimate contender, I imagine there will be plenty of angst to go around.

For now, however, they're just a silly, dorky, non-threatening goofball franchise that provides a few laughs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts