How come there is NEVER any credit for Capers?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say he clearly worked on the blitz timing and spacing. It looked like they were running into a pile all at the same time before. The Ryan blitz today was a thing of beauty. He also had the corners up on the line more today as opposed to the massive cushions he used to give.

There is still a mentality....and i saw it today twice....where they just mentally lose their edge near the end of both halves. This team has had this problem for years though and I have no idea where that mentality comes from or who is to blame for it.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because people see it being below average offenses they have done it against...that's why. Like I said earlier in the chat. Get back to me Sunday after the Seattle game.
Look at how the Packers have been getting beaten by other teams who had very similar or even worse records then they have until now.
No game is ever easy.
One should not use a strong team as a measuring stick.

I'm not ready to claim the Pack is back yet either but they are on a roll when they weren't before against mediocre teams, defense makes stops against a team that could have beaten us and yet crickets when it comes to giving Dom any credit and if we had lost against the Texans there would have been the 40,659th "Fire Capers" thread.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure those who have never played even one down in pro football as a defensive player will do much, much better than he can.
Just to clarify for those who may not have gotten it.
That line is sarcasm.

Way too easy to be an armchair coach.
That is why we are all sitting here instead of getting paid to be anywhere near the sidelines or in a booth at Lambeau every Sunday.
Those guys know a hell of a lot more about football than any of us really ever will.
We just know the cover and they know all the pages inside.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
ID go so far as to say the offense of the Colts and Tenn were not that good and those teams shouldn't have done that..just like u are saying about the Texans..
It's simple. Look at the quarterbacks.

In games where the defense has given up less than 27:

Blake Bortles
Sam Bradford
Eli Manning
Jay Cutler
Carson Wentz
Brock Osweiler

Brock has the highest QBR of those list of quarterbacks with a 56, good for 23rd in the NFL among qualifying quarterbacks. All of the others are ranked below that.

In games where the defense has given up 27 or more:

Matt Stafford
Dak Prescott
Matt Ryan
Andrew Luck
Marcus Mariota
Kirk Cousins

Every single one of those quarterbacks are ranked in the top 10 in QBR.

This is a very disturbing trend, and for me to give Capers and the defense any sort of credit, I'm going to reserve judgment until they are able to have a good performance against even one highly rated quarterback.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say he clearly worked on the blitz timing and spacing. It looked like they were running into a pile all at the same time before. The Ryan blitz today was a thing of beauty. He also had the corners up on the line more today as opposed to the massive cushions he used to give.

There is still a mentality....and i saw it today twice....where they just mentally lose their edge near the end of both halves. This team has had this problem for years though and I have no idea where that mentality comes from or who is to blame for it.
Indeed! Thank you for the common sense post.
I would so love to see this defense with a Joe Hadenish corner. I hope it is a priority on draft day.
In general, let's hope for less personnel turnover and at least the semblance of a base Defense in the future.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you've got a teacher that can't control or teach the youngsters, either the teacher changes tactics, or needs to get into another line of work. Capers' is not getting the message across to his pupils year after year after year.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D plays terrible.
Fire Capers.
It's ALL his fault even though he is not one of the guys suited up.

D makes a stop.
Capers didn't do a damn thing.
It was ALL on the players.

So sick of this mentality.
Time to give credit when it's due.

Capers is only human and he is doing his best.
If you want him fired, then you apply for D coordinator.
I'm sure those who have never played even one down in pro football as a defensive player will do much, much better than he can.
Maybe we as Packer fans are giving knee jerk reactions regarding Capers, but I feel his defensive schemes have become very anticipated and beige. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of change in his schemes over time and are easily read by the opposing teams. Fire him? Not necessarily, I think he is being blamed for the ridiculously poor play from our decimated defense. There is no credit due at this time.

DS

D

Deleted member 6794

There´s no doubt Capers deserves credit for the defensive performance over the past two games but the unit has to perform on a high level against a good offense before I feel comfortable about them being able to be successful consistently.

He also had the corners up on the line more today as opposed to the massive cushions he used to give.

It´s way easier pressing receivers at the LOS with Randall and Rollins back on the field and playing mediocre quarterbacks. Capers had to be worried about cornerbacks getting beat deep while mostly playing Gunter and Goodson outside against elite passers therefore lined them up off the LOS. Unfortunately that didn´t work either as opponents were still able to complete long passes.

Reaction score
Which is completely biased against him and doesn't make sense.

For the last two games, his defense has worked and he deserves some credit for it just like he's blamed when the defense is bad.
You're right, he does deserve credit and our D has looked a little better.
With that said. Let's look A closer at the combined records of these 2 franchises is 11-13 or a win percentage of 45.8. One of them boast an awful 17pts per game average.
It's been just 2+ weeks since our D was giving up a string of 30+ and actually broke historic franchise records for the most points given up in over 50 years!
I love this team, but I'm not ready to concede to the notion that he deserves accolades either

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right, he does deserve credit and our D has looked a little better.
With that said. Let's look A closer at the combined records of these 2 franchises is 11-13 or a win percentage of 45.8. One of them boast an awful 17pts per game average.
It's been just 2+ weeks since our D was giving up a string of 30+ and actually broke historic franchise records for the most points given up in over 50 years!
I love this team, but I'm not ready to concede to the notion that he deserves accolades either

In addition the Eagles offense has struggled over the last few weeks as well. I won´t feel confident about the Packers defense until they´re capable of containing a good offense at least once.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing solid against boo boo qbs don't impress me sorry. They gave up to passing touchdowns to a team that hadn't done crap on offense all year. In bad weather! I'm almost inclined to believe they would have given up even more had that game been played indoors. I'm not trying to discredit anything they did against the Texans and Brock Osweiler...at home. They can handle the off speed pitches, but they continue to struggle hitting the fast ball.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers was given nothing for years. To the point where the scheme couldnt compensate, after the veterans that were holding it together, left. Woodson, Collins,Al Harris, these guys held a very weak defensive personel up...

When Capers finally got players in the draft. He got project players. And they got hurt a lot. Perry and Jones are perfect examples. The secondary is playing great for being young, but still have a learning curve we had to endure. All in all we are a much more balanced team.

I like Capers. I think he should simplify a bit, and let certain young players PLAY! Same goes for McCarthy and the offense.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are people even taking into account all the stinking drops the Texans had against us? And even with those drops and the terrible conditions Brock still managed to put up his best passer rating all season

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense will be unable to contain Wilson, unless there is a blizzard and 40 mph winds. Wisconsin's defense would have a better chance.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There is always a lot of talk about Capers and what he does (or doesn't do) during a game, but what I wonder about are his (and staff) abilities off the field, in practice and the film room. I don't know the answer to this, just tossing it out there. Are they coaching these youngs guys "up"? The success of a draft and development program relies on taking a college player and improving their skills to succeed in the NFL, are Capers and Co. successfully doing this?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the number of youngsters on the D that require special attention from the other team, I'd say No. Of course, the other side of the arguement is always has he been given players that CAN be coached up.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Given the number of youngsters on the D that require special attention from the other team, I'd say No. Of course, the other side of the arguement is always has he been given players that CAN be coached up.

That is why I asked the question. Coaching a young player up takes talent and patience. If Capers takes the approach of "this is my system, learn it and how to play it", I can see how some guys would struggle. On the other side would be a coach that recognizes players limitations or learning curve and adapts the defense, when he can, to best utilize that players skill set.

H

HardRightEdge

On the other side would be a coach that recognizes players limitations or learning curve and adapts the defense, when he can, to best utilize that players skill set.
He has adapted.

Without Shields, and without Randall for several games, he didn't have a man coverage perimeter corner who can handle deep routes against a speedy receiver without help. So, he went to 2-high safety zone and sharply curtailed the blitzes to maintain max coverage.

The problem is his his zone scheme is just as bad as those 2nd. and 3rd. stringers' deep coverage skills.

Playing against sub-par QBs provides him some latitude. Against good QBs it's been a question of whether you want to die slow or die fast.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has adapted.

Without Shields, and without Randall for several games, he didn't have a man coverage perimeter corner who can handle deep routes against a speedy receiver without help. So, he went to 2-high safety zone and sharply curtailed the blitzes to maintain max coverage.

The problem is his his zone scheme is just as bad as those 2nd. and 3rd. stringers' deep coverage skills.

Playing against sub-par QBs provides him some latitude. Against good QBs it's been a question of whether you want to die slow or die fast.
I guess I would choose slow lol. at least that limits the number of scores Rodgers and the offense need to attempt to counter.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
No props from me, for Coach Capers. Never been a fan of his 3-4 variation base...I'm talking from the very git-go. I admit it, I'm a fan of the 4-3 with big fat guys up front.

Even 2010, that defense was soft most of the year and I firmly believe that the Pack's offense was able to control the tempo of those final 6 games -- in short, the offense out ran OUR defense by keeping them off the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even 2010, that defense was soft most of the year and I firmly believe that the Pack's offense was able to control the tempo of those final 6 games -- in short, the offense out ran OUR defense by keeping them off the field.

It's amazing that a lot of fans have completely forgotten about the doninant play of the Packers defense over the last six games in 2010. It's fair to assume the unit played a huge part in five of those wins, returning three interceptions for touchdowns in the playoffs with two of those scores providing the winning margin and the other one being the turning point in Atlanta.

I understand being frustrated with Capers defense ever since but give some respect when it's due.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because people see it being below average offenses they have done it against...that's why. Like I said earlier in the chat. Get back to me Sunday after the Seattle game.

Still time left, but I know the young guys are getting it.. It takes a while to do something until your comfortable.

Unless your real real good, it takes time.

When will guys trust me when I bring things up? I don't just toss stuff out there, with out hearing things from people inside

Members online

Latest posts