How about some optimism

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a change of pace. The defense looked like it actually had a clue yesterday. I didn't see as many missed tackles, bad angles taken and just flat out blown coverages as last year.

Sure, our offense played horribly, but that will not happen very often this year. The offense may play one horrible game a year. Let's hope the good play by the defense isn't just a once a year thing.

No matter how good or bad a job you think Sherman is doing, he has usually been able to rally the troops just when things look the worst. Losing Walker is a huge blow but Favre and the Packers have always seemed to be able to bounce back when you think they are about done.

Let's just get on the plus side of turnovers and CUT DOWN ON THE DAMN PENALTIES!!

Oops.....optimism!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a long season with plenty of time to get things going...I have no doubts. And as mentioned earlier DePack...how about that defense. Sit Carroll and it might be respectable. If one game is any indication, Bates has ALREADY done a great job. Time for MS and TR to follow suit!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed guys. The thing that really concerns me though is the play of Mike Flanagan. I thought the guards were decent and look to be improving, but Flanny was overpowered on a number of occasions. This is not a good sign.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digs...I know this is a thread on optimism but I have had it with Rossley. Cut loose the "offensive coordinator" and call the plays yourself. There are two other teams without offensive coordinators. Belichek's Patriots and Parcell's Cowboy's. Last time I checked they were doing OK.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe those creaky knees have finally caught up with him.

Listening to Mke Tice presser right now. Doh!!! He is funny!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's ironic is what we feared the most played well yesterday. Special Teams contained Drummond, the new guards did O.K. and our D, other than Carrol did great. The ones we weren't worrying about f'd up. Now lets get the O clicking. I'm sure the D can build of of their performance to be more than respectable.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from what I've gathered, there wasn't a lot of pessimsim on this board (considering a loss), and for good reason...the d looked good (although my only concern is it looked good after the 1st game last year) and the O, although pathetic yesterday, has too much talent to be anemic all year long. This team will come around, it's just a matter of time.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
What's ironic is what we feared the most played well yesterday. Special Teams contained Drummond, the new guards did O.K. and our D, other than Carrol did great. The ones we weren't worrying about f'd up. Now lets get the O clicking. I'm sure the D can build of of their performance to be more than respectable.

Yeah.

Regarding the offense: What can you expect when our coaches cruised our starting unit through the preseason on vanilla offenses and no challenges? I wasn't expecting to go 16-0 but this was a game I chalked up as a win.
I hope Brett and the boys got the wake up call.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
For a change of pace. The defense looked like it actually had a clue yesterday. I didn't see as many missed tackles, bad angles taken and just flat out blown coverages as last year.

Sure, our offense played horribly, but that will not happen very often this year. The offense may play one horrible game a year. Let's hope the good play by the defense isn't just a once a year thing.

No matter how good or bad a job you think Sherman is doing, he has usually been able to rally the troops just when things look the worst. Losing Walker is a huge blow but Favre and the Packers have always seemed to be able to bounce back when you think they are about done.

Let's just get on the plus side of turnovers and CUT DOWN ON THE DAMN PENALTIES!!

Oops.....optimism!

Team effort wins games, not just one fragment of it.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense did look pretty good on Sunday but did anyone notice a few times where the corners looked lost in getting lined up? I mean, a couple quick snaps by Detroit and they could have had some big plays!

Also, how about the tactic the Lions used on that fake punt formation to get GB to burn a TO? That was excellent coaching and we do not even consider those types of things. In fact, had GB not called a TO and the Lions snap the ball, that was an automatic first down IMO. :-?

Reaction score
What happened has happened, and it cannot be changed. Why did the Pack loose? The main reason is the O did not come out to play. As someone eluded to in a post befor this, the things we expected to happen (Favre getting in passes left and right and Flanny) didn't happen, and what we expected to be a problem (D, Guards, Run D, ST) was not really a problem at all. I have never bashed MS the coach, but even I have my limits. There is a reason that the Pack made 14 DUMB penalties, and MS should have had the Packers better prepared. I hope and do believe this will be the case in the future.

However, for the time, I have no more interest in watching the Pack play. I do not know why, but I don't care anymore if the Pack win or loose. I just cannot bear to get too attached to the Packers only to see them going down the drain. (I hope this is not the case.) Hopefully, the next time I visit this forum, we will have much more happier things to disscuss. Long Live the Green Bay Packers!

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
What happened has happened, and it cannot be changed. Why did the Pack loose? The main reason is the O did not come out to play. As someone eluded to in a post befor this, the things we expected to happen (Favre getting in passes left and right and Flanny) didn't happen, and what we expected to be a problem (D, Guards, Run D, ST) was not really a problem at all. I have never bashed MS the coach, but even I have my limits. There is a reason that the Pack made 14 DUMB penalties, and MS should have had the Packers better prepared. I hope and do believe this will be the case in the future.

However, for the time, I have no more interest in watching the Pack play. I do not know why, but I don't care anymore if the Pack win or loose. I just cannot bear to get too attached to the Packers only to see them going down the drain. (I hope this is not the case.) Hopefully, the next time I visit this forum, we will have much more happier things to disscuss. Long Live the Green Bay Packers!

another case of underestimation. not next week though.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What? Did I just miss something here? :roll:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, for the time, I have no more interest in watching the Pack play. I do not know why, but I don't care anymore if the Pack win or loose. I just cannot bear to get too attached to the Packers only to see them going down the drain.
Only interested when they are winning eh? Somebody slow down the bandwagon! Some people want off.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
However, for the time, I have no more interest in watching the Pack play. I do not know why, but I don't care anymore if the Pack win or loose. I just cannot bear to get too attached to the Packers only to see them going down the drain.
Only interested when they are winning eh? Somebody slow down the bandwagon! Some people want off.

why are you on da bears bandwagon phil. you should have jumped off that one long ago.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except for the Falcons, every team that went to the NFC playoffs last year lost this past weekend. The Rams lost to a 2-14 49er team. So we are not alone :)

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
Philtration said:

why are you on da bears bandwagon phil. you should have jumped off that one long ago.
Because I am not a front running, fair weather fan. I was a Bears fan when they sucked, when they were great, when they sucked again and will be one when they are on top once again. Sticking with your team through the bad times make the good times that much sweeter. I am pretty sure that you know nothing about that and will jump ship as soon as Favre walks away and the Packers fall to the bottom of the division. I saw your fans support (or lack of) during the 70s and 80s. Soldier field is sold out every game including the seasons that the Bears go 5-11.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good ol' PHIL.... How's them Bears doin' this week? You postin' any updates for us in that other section...?

Guys - I think that we've finally cleared the air on venting... it's time to prep for the next game...

For me - I always watch our games, as if I'm wearing the Player's shoes...
I guess that's why I get so involved with it all. DIEHARD thru & thru...

Can't wait til Sunday!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you IPB. Even when they suck it up and you don't think you can take it anymore I still have to keep watching because I want them to do well so bad I can't turn away. (ok maybe for a play or two out of frustration).

Yeah we win we lose, we are proud of our team and they break our hearts, but I still love the Packers :)

Can't wait til Sunday either!!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's NOT lose focus of how the Packers lost. Packer offense was enough to win this game, thanks to a GOOD defense.

The penalties at inopportune times, and the turnovers killed us.

We eliminate those mistakes, we win. Period.

Let's see if this team has learned from its mistakes and come out to play eror-free ball.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The oddsmakers are pretty sure that sunday's offense was a fluke and wasn't a sign of things to come since they picked the Pack by 6 1/2 over Clevland

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the defense keeps improving on what they did Sun. and the offense gets in gear we will have a good season. If the offense continues their sloppy play, we will get very good draft choices. How's that for good news? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beersign:

Members online

Latest posts