"How Aaron Rodgers Saved the Packers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But if you seen them...
Regarding his neighbors, maybe they - and you - are jerks in real life? Or maybe you only hear what you want to hear? (But thanks for the definition of "realist" as someone who sees things as they really are, that was helpful.)

Regarding Rodgers as a leader, here's something I realistically saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears. During Super Bowl XLV after the Steelers scored a TD and converted a two-point conversion to pull within 3 points in the 4th quarter, the Packers took over with about 7 and-a-half minutes left at their 25 yard line. Rodgers gets sacked to the 21, completes a pass to Nelson for 9 yards, and then Colledge false starts and its third and ten at their own 25 with about 6 minutes left. The Steelers clearly had the momentum and I don't like the Packers' title chances if they would have had to punt the ball back to the Steelers at that point. Rodgers tells the huddle, "We're going to be champions tonight" and calls the play. He proceeds to zip the ball about 30-yards in the air. CB Ike Taylor gets a fingertip on it but it lands in Jennings chest for a 31-yard completion, first down at the Steelers 44-yard line. That was a show of leadership in the huddle at a crucial time in the most important game (to date) of his life. That is incredibly more meaningful to me than someone with an agenda posting pictures of the sideline, pretending to know what was going on.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if you seen them more than 10 times with your own eyes... If you knew his neighbors for more than 10 years, had holidays with those neighbors. Would you believe them regardless of what anyone in the media has to say? Especially when they have an agenda?

And by definition a "Realist" is a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are. Meaning you can cover it up with news articles, or co-workers who need to be on Rodgers side, spin media stories anyway that you want. It doesn't change your personal view on how things are unless they show more actual unbiased evidence than what you possess.

This is the Rodgers I know. Down 17... Offense has a huddle.... Who is running it John Kuhn. Who's in it? Richard Rodgers, Eddie Lacy, James Jones, Abbrederis, Cobb... Ohh wait every skilled offensive position player except two guys. Ohh that's right. Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Lets fast forward a few seconds... Our fearless leader must be busy planning out the next drive or changing something on offense that he can't be here.

Ohh wait here is staring blankly at the jumbotron...

I would expect nothing else from him to be honest. This is the Aaron I know. Doesn't take away from his greatness at quarterback, his ability to throw on the run. Or some of the completely amazing things I have seen him do.

But if you try to convince me he is a "leader" HAHA.

You could make the case he was listening in on the side... From what I can tell he was at least 5 feet away staring at the board when this was happening. And in the video you can clearly see an assistant walk between Abby and where Rodgers would have to be. So maybe he was close but there was absolutely space, and he wasn't part of the huddle. But close doesn't count for "leader".

EDIT: To curb it back a little for possibility sake... It is possible he wasn't invited. It is possible they wanted only skill players. That they felt Rodgers level of play didn't need to be addressed. But it doesn't change my view that a leader steps in.
He won this game for the team and kept them in the division lead despite his offensive line being unable to protect him from a 3 man rush on that final play. He picked up the slack of the other players and got the job done. If that's not a leader, then I don't know what is. He has elevated the play of other players for years.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding his neighbors, maybe they - and you - are jerks in real life? Or maybe you only hear what you want to hear? (But thanks for the definition of "realist" as someone who sees things as they really are, that was helpful.)

Regarding Rodgers as a leader, here's something I realistically saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears. During Super Bowl XLV after the Steelers scored a TD and converted a two-point conversion to pull within 3 points in the 4th quarter, the Packers took over with about 7 and-a-half minutes left at their 25 yard line. Rodgers gets sacked to the 21, completes a pass to Nelson for 9 yards, and then Colledge false starts and its third and ten at their own 25 with about 6 minutes left. The Steelers clearly had the momentum and I don't like the Packers' title chances if they would have had to punt the ball back to the Steelers at that point. Rodgers tells the huddle, "We're going to be champions tonight" and calls the play. He proceeds to zip the ball about 30-yards in the air. CB Ike Taylor gets a fingertip on it but it lands in Jennings chest for a 31-yard completion, first down at the Steelers 44-yard line. That was a show of leadership in the huddle at a crucial time in the most important game (to date) of his life. That is incredibly more meaningful to me than someone with an agenda posting pictures of the sideline, pretending to know what was going on.

One game... one situation. At the peak performance in his career 6 years ago. He said one phrase. That is exactly what makes me different than you. Why I am a realist and not a homer.

That is +1 to the -20 to me. To you it defines his career. Something that happened before he is the the person he is today. I will be honest with you, I never noticed this portion of him until about 3 years ago. I would agree that that was a wonderful phrase. That it is commendable. But to me that doesn't define the person he is NOW. Or has been for the past couple of seasons now.

And perhaps it is everyone around him, that is a distinct possibility. Truly it is. But you are wrong to think that I have an agenda. What you mean to say is I have a different point of view and won't cave. If I was concerned about people coming to my side I would treat this situation much different. The pictures are just to show you what has caught my eye... to give you an overall view of why my impression is the way that it is.

I'm certainly not posting this to change your mind, you have been on my case when I speak about the Rodgers thing since I came back a month or two ago. I can find 2 or 3 post accusing me of everything from "Only posting when Rodgers is down" to "Having an agenda against him" (This one on more than 1 ocassion). Even though I have posted criticism about Abbrederis, Adams, MM and said the defense is unproven at this point. But you choose to only see my criticism of Rodgers. That I have some big time agenda against the dude. Even when I willing to admit his football prowess in an overall career aspect (though have been the first to point out his errors this year just like I have with others) The one thing I do doubt is his leadership. THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL VIEWPOINT, NOTHING ELSE.

I'm going to leave it at this. I have had the privilege in my career to meet some of the most inspiring and accomplished leaders in business. People who could sell you sand in desert, and make you believe you can accomplish anything. I don't see those qualities from Aaron. It still doesn't take away from his greatness as quarterback, or that i wouldn't want anyone else to be behind center for the Packers. So you want to call him a great quarterback and I would agree with you 1000%. You want to call him a leader, and I speak my mind. Isn't that what forums are for? To get a better rounded view of whatever you are talking about. To gain access to more information? Maybe Im wrong. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won this game for the team and kept them in the division lead despite his offensive line being unable to protect him from a 3 man rush on that final play. He picked up the slack of the other players and got the job done. If that's not a leader, then I don't know what is. He has elevated the play of other players for years.

I won't even comment to this, honestly I'm done with this conversation but if you think Rodgers is the "reason" the packers won that game you should go back and watch it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't even comment to this, honestly I'm done with this conversation but if you think Rodgers is the "reason" the packers won that game you should go back and watch it.
He made the play when he had to. The previous 60 minutes don't matter if he doesn't.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He made the play when he had to. The previous 60 minutes don't matter if he doesn't.

Except for the fact that you are excluding the defense holding them to 6 points in the final 3 quarters. Also the fact that he didn't "make the play" Yes he was part of the hail mary... Needed to get it to the endzone, But if RR falls down, fails to make the catch, or the Lions don't cover 40 yards of empty turf, it means nothing. Was he part of great victory? Absolutely. But giving him sole credit for that win is downright ridiculous.

But go on believing he is the only reason Green Bay won that game.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except for the fact that you are excluding the defense holding them to 6 points in the final 3 quarters. Also the fact that he didn't "make the play" Yes he was part of the hail mary... Needed to get it to the endzone, But if RR falls down, fails to make the catch, or the Lions don't cover 40 yards of empty turf, it means nothing. Was he part of great victory? Absolutely. But giving him sole credit for that win is downright ridiculous.

But go on believing he is the only reason Green Bay won that game.
It takes an exceptional player to elude the rushers that were in his face and make that throw...yes, R. Rodgers made a great grab in a big situation. I'm not taking anything away from him.

But I think it's ridiculous to downplay that play from Rodgers, and say he was just "part of the play". Show me the number of guys who can elude a defender in the backfield and make that kind of a throw.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It takes an exceptional player to elude the rushers that were in his face and make that throw...yes, R. Rodgers made a great grab in a big situation. I'm not taking anything away from him.

But I think it's ridiculous to downplay that play from Rodgers, and say he was just "part of the play". Show me the number of guys who can elude a defender in the backfield and make that kind of a throw.

Cam, Big Ben, Russel, maybe Mariota? There are probably others... 70 yards in the air, with a running start isn't unheard of an nfl quarterback. So really that isn't part of the equation. In fact, before he came into the draft he was in a skills challenge and threw it 70 with a walking 2 steps leadup. My guess is that 80% ish of NFL quarterbacks can throw 70 yards with a run up.

So you are just looking at mobility. There are others that could likely do it. Romo has been elusive in the past with a big arm. Tyrod Taylor.

I don't have an exact list. Point is Aaron isn't the only person in the world that can make that play, doesn't make him other worldly... He did his part perfect, no doubt. But absurd to think he is the only reason they won that game.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cam, Big Ben, Russel, maybe Mariota? There are probably others... 70 yards in the air, with a running start isn't unheard of an nfl quarterback. So really that isn't part of the equation. In fact, before he came into the draft he was in a skills challenge and threw it 70 with a walking 2 steps leadup. My guess is that 80% ish of NFL quarterbacks can throw 70 yards with a run up.

So you are just looking at mobility. There are others that could likely do it. Romo has been elusive in the past with a big arm. Tyrod Taylor.

I don't have an exact list. Point is Aaron isn't the only person in the world that can make that play, doesn't make him other worldly... He did his part perfect, no doubt. But absurd to think he is the only reason they won that game.
Why are you even a GB fan? I can't see how football even excites you any more if that play makes you yawn.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said it makes me yawn?.? I ran around my house like a little ******* her sweet 16... Well a drunk 16 year old girl because I was wasted at this point.

BUT the discussion here is whether Rodgers

He won this game for the team

I am saying that he didn't... I don't know how you even put 2 and 2 together on that one? lol

I don't have to think Aaron is a god to enjoy the Packers. I take pride in Peppers strip fumble, Cobbs awareness to fall on the ball in the endzone... So many other things happened in that game. Plays made by other players. Third down stops. All kinds of things. Just because I don't think A-Rod single handlely won us the game means nothing to whether im a fan or how excited I was.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said it makes me yawn?.? I ran around my house like a little ******* her sweet 16... Well a drunk 16 year old girl because I was wasted at this point.

BUT the discussion here is whether Rodgers

I am saying that he didn't... I don't know how you even put 2 and 2 together on that one? lol

I don't have to think Aaron is a god to enjoy the Packers. I take pride in Peppers strip fumble, Cobbs awareness to fall on the ball in the endzone... So many other things happened in that game. Plays made by other players. Third down stops. All kinds of things. Just because I don't think A-Rod single handlely won us the game means nothing to whether im a fan or how excited I was.
Probably poor choice of words by me....but unfortunately, the QBs usually have to shoulder both the praise and the blame for the victories and losses. I don't agree with it, but it rubs off on me.

I do, however, stand by my praise of him picking up the slack of the offensive line and how they let those 2 rushers get by them. But my statement that he single handedly won the game is obviously untrue.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There's no doubt Rodgers was fantastic down the stretch and his last throw was incredible.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The throw wasn't just super far, it was also ridiculously high. Much higher than it had to be to make that far.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One game... one situation. At the peak performance in his career 6 years ago. He said one phrase. That is exactly what makes me different than you. Why I am a realist and not a homer.

That is +1 to the -20 to me. To you it defines his career. Something that happened before he is the the person he is today. I will be honest with you, I never noticed this portion of him until about 3 years ago. I would agree that that was a wonderful phrase. That it is commendable. But to me that doesn't define the person he is NOW. Or has been for the past couple of seasons now.

And perhaps it is everyone around him, that is a distinct possibility. Truly it is. But you are wrong to think that I have an agenda. What you mean to say is I have a different point of view and won't cave. If I was concerned about people coming to my side I would treat this situation much different. The pictures are just to show you what has caught my eye... to give you an overall view of why my impression is the way that it is.

I'm certainly not posting this to change your mind, you have been on my case when I speak about the Rodgers thing since I came back a month or two ago. I can find 2 or 3 post accusing me of everything from "Only posting when Rodgers is down" to "Having an agenda against him" (This one on more than 1 ocassion). Even though I have posted criticism about Abbrederis, Adams, MM and said the defense is unproven at this point. But you choose to only see my criticism of Rodgers. That I have some big time agenda against the dude. Even when I willing to admit his football prowess in an overall career aspect (though have been the first to point out his errors this year just like I have with others) The one thing I do doubt is his leadership. THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL VIEWPOINT, NOTHING ELSE.

I'm going to leave it at this. I have had the privilege in my career to meet some of the most inspiring and accomplished leaders in business. People who could sell you sand in desert, and make you believe you can accomplish anything. I don't see those qualities from Aaron. It still doesn't take away from his greatness as quarterback, or that i wouldn't want anyone else to be behind center for the Packers. So you want to call him a great quarterback and I would agree with you 1000%. You want to call him a leader, and I speak my mind. Isn't that what forums are for? To get a better rounded view of whatever you are talking about. To gain access to more information? Maybe Im wrong. Just my thoughts.

How can you tell his leadership from tv?

Only way to know for sure is the players and coaches

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if you seen them more than 10 times with your own eyes... If you knew his neighbors for more than 10 years, had holidays with those neighbors. Would you believe them regardless of what anyone in the media has to say? Especially when they have an agenda?

And by definition a "Realist" is a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are. Meaning you can cover it up with news articles, or co-workers who need to be on Rodgers side, spin media stories anyway that you want. It doesn't change your personal view on how things are unless they show more actual unbiased evidence than what you possess.

This is the Rodgers I know. Down 17... Offense has a huddle.... Who is running it John Kuhn. Who's in it? Richard Rodgers, Eddie Lacy, James Jones, Abbrederis, Cobb... Ohh wait every skilled offensive position player except two guys. Ohh that's right. Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams.

Lets fast forward a few seconds... Our fearless leader must be busy planning out the next drive or changing something on offense that he can't be here.

Ohh wait here is staring blankly at the jumbotron...

I would expect nothing else from him to be honest. This is the Aaron I know. Doesn't take away from his greatness at quarterback, his ability to throw on the run. Or some of the completely amazing things I have seen him do.

But if you try to convince me he is a "leader" HAHA.

You could make the case he was listening in on the side... From what I can tell he was at least 5 feet away staring at the board when this was happening. And in the video you can clearly see an assistant walk between Abby and where Rodgers would have to be. So maybe he was close but there was absolutely space, and he wasn't part of the huddle. But close doesn't count for "leader".

EDIT: To curb it back a little for possibility sake... It is possible he wasn't invited. It is possible they wanted only skill players. That they felt Rodgers level of play didn't need to be addressed. But it doesn't change my view that a leader steps in.

He sure looked liked a leader moving the ball the 2nd half.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you tell his leadership from tv?

Only way to know for sure is the players and coaches

I think you can without being around someone 24 hours a day ascertain certain knowledge of the personality of someone. Most people aren't just leaders for 3 hours a day on the weekend. Its a life style in my experience. It's how they live, how they speak.

In fact, a job I had 20 years or so ago we had to identify a person's personality over the phone to 1 of 6 groups within the first two minutes of talking to them. Its called Behavioral Analytics. And now is common instituted in many different areas of business in order best communicate with high level executives of other companies. It's not uncommon to have multiple scenarios in play and picking one based on the person, not the company.

Back to the original point, I think you can tell Jay Culter isn't an all time great leader without personal knowledge of his coaching staff, or his wife. An educated guess would tell me most of the "Cutler is a great leader" talk you hear every now and again is PR related for a franchise quarterback.

Fact is that around here most people won't entertain the thought of something negative. It is immediately met with "How would you know?!? He's a great leader".

Just saying that in my experience, there are more instances of what I showed from the game in his real life. So it doesn't surprise me. Doesn't change a damn thing about how good he is at throwing the ball. But i don't buy the "Rodgers is this amazing leader" talk.

ONE LAST IMPORTANT POINT

I think it is easy to confuse what I am saying with me saying he's a "bad person" or "Not fit for the job". That is not it, none of us are perfect. And he isn't either. This isn't an indictment against him. I'm not out to call Rodgers out. He is a highly gifted, extremely intelligent, hard working person. I'm grateful that he wears Green and Gold. Having a perceived flaw (In my personal opinion) or analyzing his play doesn't take away from that.

Is that the same Aaron that came out in the first half and looked like he should play for my old high school team? His offense look like it was uninspired to basically anything? If you are going to give him the praise for the second half you better take it on the chin for the team looking like garbage in the first half. Goes both ways. And if that's how it works can you tell him to start doing that every week, and not wait till halftime to kick in his awesome leadership skills.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The throw wasn't just super far, it was also ridiculously high. Much higher than it had to be to make that far.

I think incredible is a stretch, probably won't be in his top 50 throws at the end of his career for difficulty. But the fact RR caught it, made the "moment" special that's for sure.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you can without being around someone 24 hours a day ascertain certain knowledge of the personality of someone. Most people aren't just leaders for 3 hours a day on the weekend. Its a life style in my experience. It's how they live, how they speak.

In fact, a job I had 20 years or so ago we had to identify a person's personality over the phone to 1 of 6 groups within the first two minutes of talking to them. Its called Behavioral Analytics. And now is common instituted in many different areas of business in order best communicate with high level executives of other companies. It's not uncommon to have multiple scenarios in play and picking one based on the person, not the company.

Back to the original point, I think you can tell Jay Culter isn't an all time great leader without personal knowledge of his coaching staff, or his wife. An educated guess would tell me most of the "Cutler is a great leader" talk you hear every now and again is PR related for a franchise quarterback.

Fact is that around here most people won't entertain the thought of something negative. It is immediately met with "How would you know?!? He's a great leader".

Just saying that in my experience, there are more instances of what I showed from the game in his real life. So it doesn't surprise me. Doesn't change a damn thing about how good he is at throwing the ball. But i don't buy the "Rodgers is this amazing leader" talk.

ONE LAST IMPORTANT POINT

I think it is easy to confuse what I am saying with me saying he's a "bad person" or "Not fit for the job". That is not it, none of us are perfect. And he isn't either. This isn't an indictment against him. I'm not out to call Rodgers out. He is a highly gifted, extremely intelligent, hard working person. I'm grateful that he wears Green and Gold. Having a perceived flaw (In my personal opinion) or analyzing his play doesn't take away from that.

Is that the same Aaron that came out in the first half and looked like he should play for my old high school team? His offense look like it was uninspired to basically anything? If you are going to give him the praise for the second half you better take it on the chin for the team looking like garbage in the first half. Goes both ways. And if that's how it works can you tell him to start doing that every week, and not wait till halftime to kick in his awesome leadership skills.

Not confusing you thinking he isnt right for the job.

I just dont think as an outsider we can truly gather how he is as a leader. You may have an educated "guess" but that is all it is, a guess

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just an innocent bystander here, but as easy as it is to pick apart a player and his off field life via rumors, speculation, media and hear say.......I tend to view that as the player/citizen's personal life and don't pay much attention to it. As a Packer fan, what happens on the field is all I really care about. I'm quite certain my neighbor, co-worker, friend, etc. may not be the exact person I perceive them to be. That being said, I will take AR as the QB of the team I love any day and any game of the week.

Last edited:

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also have met Rodgers multiple times and before selling him home lived a little more than quarter mile from me. Not the greatest role model in the world. That's all i will say to that.

(Though I will note when I seen him around with my child, he offered to sign something for him, which was a very nice for him to offer.)

How exactly was he not a great role model? I am not doubting your story at all, I am just genuinely curious.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think incredible is a stretch, probably won't be in his top 50 throws at the end of his career for difficulty. But the fact RR caught it, made the "moment" special that's for sure.

If it goes both ways, one of your posts from earlier should be looking at more than a single snapshot from a single game.

There's no denying Rodgers evading the rush and throwing that bomb was a great play by him. Seems like you'd downplay anything Rodgers does.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it goes both ways, one of your posts from earlier should be looking at more than a single snapshot from a single game.

There's no denying Rodgers evading the rush and throwing that bomb was a great play by him. Seems like you'd downplay anything Rodgers does.

That's untrue I don't know how many superlatives I can use for the man's throwing ability I just don't see that as one of his top play.

Here's a play I thought was an incredible throw. Much better showcase of his amazing arm talent.

3 an 7 at the start of the fourth quarter against Minnesota. He is flushed out of the pocket and while running to the right(not forward), throws a nearly 40 yard DART to about a 1 foot window on the sideline. It was an incredible throw, and truly under-rated how hard that actually is to preform. Especially 40 yards out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Un4---

I went and looked back at your posting history...Your 2nd post here, you said

Even Rodgers isn’t without blame; looking for the deep ball on third and short while getting the pocket collapsed on him, just to see the underneath receivers are open.

and in a thread about Marshall Newhouse, you go on a rant about Rodgers.

1st 2 days here, 3 out of 5 posts are blasting Rodgers...

You say you love him as a Packer, but in all honesty, it seems you have an agenda, and your posts indicate other wise..

You then were gone for little over two years...Your 1st post after your time away, blasting Rodgers again.

You have every right to be critical and post that way, but when it seems 80% of your posts are blasting Rodgers, something is off...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unfortunately, as we've seen painfully, each of the 60 minutes has to be played.

However, in the "now maybe I don't feel so bad" category, I just saw a post on another forum that says the Giants have lost four games this year in the final 75 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts