Houston signs Ahman Green

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
POSTED 6:03 p.m. EST, March 4, 2007

TEXANS LASSO AHMAN

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Houston Texans have signed running back Ahman Green.

Green, who has spent the last seven seasons with the Packers, will be reuinted with former Green Bay coach/G.M. Mike Sherman in Houston. Sherman is an assistant head coach with the Texans.

The aging tailback generated strong interest, and could re-establish himself as a star runner in the Texans' zone-blocking scheme.

Of course, it remains to be seen what the Texans will do at quarterback. David Carr, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, is not expected to return. The identity of his replacement is, at this point, anyone's guess

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB is now the Packers primary need in my opinion. This makes Travis Henry and Marshawn Lynch to valuable targets for us via free agency and draft. I would love to have both.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the terms of the deal, I hope it is crazy money otherwise we will be regreting in all next season here in Packerland. We are in a bind now in my opinion, makes Henry or McGhee almost a must. Lynch or another back as a first day draft pick.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so much for Ahman wanting to remain a Packer. I wonder if his agent even called the Packers to tell them what the Texans offered?

Reaction score
It was clear that Green still had a big soft spot for ex Coach Sherman. No doubt that played a big, if not the biggest, role.

I don't think Lynch is a lock to be there at #16, so things just got a whole lot exciting.

I must say though, I was hoping Green would have stayed. He was a treat to watch.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB is now the Packers primary need in my opinion. This makes Travis Henry and Marshawn Lynch to valuable targets for us via free agency and draft. I would love to have both.

What a backfield.

If it came down to one I'll take Lynch.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

What a backfield.

If it came down to one I'll take Lynch.

I would as well but I wouldn't mind having both. 2 back systems are a fast catching trend in the NFL and it's worked as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
A couple of revised mock drafts have the Bills taking Lynch at #12.

With McGahee on the block, the move makes sense.

I actually think Buffalo wants a power runner like Tony Hunt or Michael Bush. That fits their system a lot better. Though Lynch at #12 is certainly possible but it'd be hard for them to pass on Leon Hall or Levi Brown in my opinion.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bummer. I've always liked Ahman. I hope he got a big payday, because he's better than a lot of players who earn more. I also hope that Ted Thompson has a good backup plan.

pologuyn1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman leaving is certainly a disappointment and it's really going to be tough to build up our backfield. talking about travis henry. I'm not so sure he's good enough to be our feature back and most of the drafts ive seen also have marshall lynch going to the bills. I don't know what other people think but wouldn't mcgee fit our system well though his financials might be to high

Reaction score
I don't know what other people think but wouldn't mcgee fit our system well though his financials might be to high

polyguyn1, THIS THREAD might be helpful, as it discusses McGahee as a player the Packers may target. :thumbsup:

I think McGhaee is a great back, but unfortunately his financial demands that will be coming up are a huge strike against him.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green agreed to terms with the Texans Sunday on a four-year, $23 million contract that includes $6.5 million in guaranteed money. The Packers were offering far less than that and were leery of offering more than $5 million for the 2007 season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woah.

I wanted Green back, but certainly not at that price.

I agree. If he was 3 years younger then yes but not when he's at the pinnacle of his career.

Someone brought up McGahee. I'd certainly like to have McGahee in Green and Gold but his agent is Drew Rosenhaus and speculation is he wants to be paid as a top 3 to 5 RB in the NFL.

I think the Packers need to make a serious run at Travis Henry right now.

Reaction score
I agree with your porky.

Henry I wouldn't mind giving out a 4 year 23 million dollar contract to. Of course Henry would have all the leverage, as the Packers situation might be seen as 'desperate' by his agent.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your porky.

Henry I wouldn't mind giving out a 4 year 23 million dollar contract.

He'll turn 29 in October. He also has under 1500 carries in 7 years so his legs are fresh. I'd prefer a 3 year deal with a club option of a 4th year but I'd give him that much in guarantees as well.

I like the idea of pairing Henry with Lynch or Bush, which ever one we can get in the Draft.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that Henry is one substance abuse violation away from a year suspension makes me uneasy about going after him hard.

I sure hope the Packers take a RB day 1 now.

He tested positive twice?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he got a four game suspension back in 2005...

Let me see if I can find where I read that...

You sure it was for violating NFL substance abuse program rather than breaking team rules? Those are different violations and I know Fisher is a tough coach and if he broke team rules, he would of been sitting.

Not that I don’t believe. I just simply don’t know and I’d like to find out.

Reaction score
I know he got a four game suspension back in 2005...

Let me see if I can find where I read that...

You sure it was for violating NFL substance abuse program rather than breaking team rules? Those are different violations and I know Fisher is a tough coach and if he broke team rules, he would of been sitting.

Not that I don’t believe. I just simply don’t know and I’d like to find out.

It's cool, at the very least I got to make sure my claim was correct.

I'm not so sure that it was though.

ARTICLE ABOUT HENRY GETTING SUSPENDED FOR FOUR GAMES IN 2005.

I fount this quote interesting though:
Asked if Henry's participation in the program meant this suspension punished a second violation, Fisher said that was "not necessarily correct."

So it might not mean the suspension itself the result of a second violation, but it does look that way.

Staff online

Members online