Horrible calls...NFL hates us -- officiating threads

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but I've felt that play that got ruled a catch in D Moore's favor is what a catch should be. I've felt if the WR had two or even 3 feet down, it should be ruled a catch. I mean if that had been our guy that made that play, I think we would all love that the refs reversed the call.

Now, on the other catch, I think Lockett or whoever actually did trap it against the ground. But it would have been up to MM to challenge it, and he didn't, perhaps worried he would lose his timeout.

I just really feel this thread is all wrong. We lost this game because this offense including both Rodgers and McCarthy squandered too many opportunities, and the defense although it wasn't bad still had serious blunders such as Greene's awful PI when he could have turned around and made a play on the ball, and our guys not loading the box when they knew the Hawks would be running the ball to grind the clock out.

Not only would we love the fact that they reversed it most would be screaming that it was a horrible call if they didn't. I think the other play would have been reversed as well.

At full speed I though the first one was incomplete and the second was complete. After the review I changed my mind on both.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance I would have thought it should be reversed. He takes 3 steps, yes. But when he secure it? And for how many steps? Moving in his hands, not secured. Step 2 it pauses for a brief second on his chest by step 3 it’s already sliding down his chest and his hand is moving to try and secure it again and then comes completely free. He could take 10 steps and if the ball never stops moving with 2 feet down and a football move, how in the heck is it a catch?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get we've been on the wrong side with the officiating, but can we not act like Bear fans? They're always complaining about officiating when it comes with a loss. We're better than that.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance I would have thought it should be reversed. He takes 3 steps, yes. But when he secure it? And for how many steps? Moving in his hands, not secured. Step 2 it pauses for a brief second on his chest by step 3 it’s already sliding down his chest and his hand is moving to try and secure it again and then comes completely free. He could take 10 steps and if the ball never stops moving with 2 feet down and a football move, how in the heck is it a catch?

So I'm guessing you called Mike Perreira up and told him this?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You can control the ball with one hand and just because it is moving against his body doesn't mean he doesn't have control. The way I saw it he had the ball pinned against his body with one hand and to me that means control. If you wouldn't have thought it should be reversed if it had been a Packer WR then good for you. You stand by your views but you know as well as I do that there are a good many Packer fans who will say it shouldn't have been a catch but had the situation been reversed they would have found a way to say it should have been.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get we've been on the wrong side with the officiating, but can we not act like Bear fans? They're always complaining about officiating when it comes with a loss. We're better than that.

Apparently not. It just strengthens my views that I have had all along that fans are fans and no team has a monopoly on good ones or bad ones.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently not. It just strengthens my views that I have had all along that fans are fans and no team has a monopoly on good ones or bad ones.
Well naturally all fan bases are going to have good and bad fans if you will. But I never called Bear fans bad fans. I just brought up based on my observation a tendency they often like to do. In my eyes only losers blame refs.

If you allow the refs to dictate the outcome of a game, then you simply weren't good enough to win. Great teams overcome bad officiating. The only time I'll ever say we got screwed over was the fail mary, but even still we had plenty of time to play and prevent that from happening. I don't like the bs calls that are against us as the next guy, but there's nothing we can do about it except overcome them.

On a different note, I get the feeling you and I are going to end up having numerous healthy and respectable debates on here. I look forward to it. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can control the ball with one hand and just because it is moving against his body doesn't mean he doesn't have control. The way I saw it he had the ball pinned against his body with one hand and to me that means control. If you wouldn't have thought it should be reversed if it had been a Packer WR then good for you. You stand by your views but you know as well as I do that there are a good many Packer fans who will say it shouldn't have been a catch but had the situation been reversed they would have found a way to say it should have been.
yes, if you want to call that control, then it has to stay there. Did it? for 2 feet down and a football move? or did it move down his chest and then move in his hand? That's cheap, cheap catch, especially when it was called a no catch on the field.

Go back and watch it, when he first touches he gets right, and left foot down almost simultaneously, then as the left foot is coming up, the ball is already slipping down from his left shoulder to his chest and the ball moves from having his hand over almost the middle of the ball to the end third of it before another foot comes down by the time he next foot comes down, the ball is out. I can't see any way any fan calls that a catch.

and for the record, I never said it's why we lost. I said we could have and should have won despite the calls. But as much as I used to loathe the cheap *** PI penalties they used to call, if this constitutes a "catch" in todays NFL, I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were in perfect position to win this game, including getting a GIFT turnover and spotted basically a 7-0 lead to start the game with the ball to start the second half. Good teams overcome the officiating. Bad teams find ways to lose games over and over and over again. This loss has NOTHING to do with officiating, and EVERYTHING to do with our future-HOF quarterback disintegrating in the second half AGAIN. I hate to say it, but it feels a lot like the beginning of 2016, when it seemed like the Monstars from Space Jam sapped his talents and abilities. As we all know, he turned it around that time. I'm not so optimistic this time around.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well naturally all fan bases are going to have good and bad fans if you will. But I never called Bear fans bad fans. I just brought up based on my observation a tendency they often like to do. In my eyes only losers blame refs.

If you allow the refs to dictate the outcome of a game, then you simply weren't good enough to win. Great teams overcome bad officiating. The only time I'll ever say we got screwed over was the fail mary, but even still we had plenty of time to play and prevent that from happening. I don't like the bs calls that are against us as the next guy, but there's nothing we can do about it except overcome them.

On a different note, I get the feeling you and I are going to end up having numerous healthy and respectable debates on here. I look forward to it. :)

Blame the refs, blame the injuries, blame the short week, blame the travel, blame whatever, its all the same. They usually even out and like you said, the best teams can overcome the bad ones. The thing is you could have said any other team besides the Bears and I would have said the same thing. There are plenty of Packer fans who blame the refs just like fans of every team. I think you took a shot at the Bears and their fans in good fun. Most Packer fans hate the Bears so when it comes time to "bash" another team the Bears are usually that team and I get it. Of the three worst people I have ever watched games one was a viking fan, one was a Bear fan and one was a Packer fan. Where I differ from most Packer fans is that I don't hate the Bears, I don't even really dislike them. They are definitely in the top half of my rankings. I'd root for them more often if it weren't for the fact they are in direct competition with the Packers. I hope they kick the viking's ***** tomorrow night even though a loss would be more beneficial to the Packers.

As far as the debates go I look forward to them as well and I will apologize in advance if any of my future posts seem off.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, if you want to call that control, then it has to stay there. Did it? for 2 feet down and a football move? or did it move down his chest and then move in his hand? That's cheap, cheap catch, especially when it was called a no catch on the field.

Go back and watch it, when he first touches he gets right, and left foot down almost simultaneously, then as the left foot is coming up, the ball is already slipping down from his left shoulder to his chest and the ball moves from having his hand over almost the middle of the ball to the end third of it before another foot comes down by the time he next foot comes down, the ball is out. I can't see any way any fan calls that a catch.

and for the record, I never said it's why we lost. I said we could have and should have won despite the calls. But as much as I used to loathe the cheap *** PI penalties they used to call, if this constitutes a "catch" in todays NFL, I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

I don't think I said or implied that and if I did I apologize. As far as the catch we see it differently and if you can't see how any fan can see it that way then I guess we don't need to discuss it any further.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blame the refs, blame the injuries, blame the short week, blame the travel, blame whatever, its all the same. They usually even out and like you said, the best teams can overcome the bad ones. The thing is you could have said any other team besides the Bears and I would have said the same thing. There are plenty of Packer fans who blame the refs just like fans of every team. I think you took a shot at the Bears and their fans in good fun. Most Packer fans hate the Bears so when it comes time to "bash" another team the Bears are usually that team and I get it. Of the three worst people I have ever watched games one was a viking fan, one was a Bear fan and one was a Packer fan. Where I differ from most Packer fans is that I don't hate the Bears, I don't even really dislike them. They are definitely in the top half of my rankings. I'd root for them more often if it weren't for the fact they are in direct competition with the Packers. I hope they kick the viking's ***** tomorrow night even though a loss would be more beneficial to the Packers.

As far as the debates go I look forward to them as well and I will apologize in advance if any of my future posts seem off.
Indeed it was a "playful shot" I guess you can say, and I understood your point completely. I don't hate The Bear fans, no that would be Patriot fans that I can't stand. Bear fans amuse me if anything with their constant complaining and whatnot and how every season they go into the season thinking they are better and will beat us, only for them to fall on their faces.

And again like I told you're good man. That's what debates are all about. I for one am looking forward to it.

Papa San before you get on us, we WERE on topic! XD

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I said or implied that and if I did I apologize. As far as the catch we see it differently and if you can't see how any fan can see it that way then I guess we don't need to discuss it any further.
It was in a different post, since I was responding again I wanted to clarify I wasn’t saying it’s why we lost.

I guess I’d ask where in that “catch” did you see it secure, with 2 feet and a football move? There is one brief moment the ball stops moving on his body, and one foot down where the ball doesn’t change positions in his hands. Considering Brown never touched his left arm, hand or ball, how did it come out if secured in the first place?

D

Deleted member 6794

Moore's catch was definitely not the reason the Packers lost but it should have been ruled an incompletion.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Oh please, if we use the officials as contributing to our whoas, we sound like a bunch of sore losers. I'm sure visiting fans to Lambeau have used this sad lament before. I'll go with the MM argument, even the injuries etc but not the bent officials argument, it's kind of childish. No offence intended.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DON'T BLAME THE OFFICIALS
This game was winnable in spite of the officiating.
I agree, and I don't like to use officiating as an excuse, except in extreme cases like the Fail Mary.
However, a few points:

1) The team this year doesn't appear to be good enough to overcome a few bad calls going against us in a tight game.
2) We seem to be getting more bad calls this year than in years past.
3) It's been a general complaint among fans around the NFL that too many games are being decided by the officials this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask I am trying to dive deep into my memory bank of all the hundreds of NFL games I have watched in the past decade to find how many genuinely bad calls have cost a team the game. Is it because I am a Packer fan that I can only recall about a half dozen against us? Please enlighten me here to the other games I have missed. I will give the cowboys the game against us because I always thought it was a catch. Other than that, it seems increasingly apparent the officials continuously make phantom, very one sided calls.
Well, there was the “tuck rule” call in 2000 in the Pats/Raiders game. That should have been a fumble and Oakland likely wins the game if it’s called that way. We know how that went. NE went on to win it’s first (I think) SB with Brady. Someone can correct any of this, as I’m working from memory on something that happened 18 years ago......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, and I don't like to use officiating as an excuse, except in extreme cases like the Fail Mary.
However, a few points:

1) The team this year doesn't appear to be good enough to overcome a few bad calls going against us in a tight game.
3) It's been a general complaint among fans around the NFL that too many games are being decided by the officials this year.
Points well made. Good/great teams will overcome one or two otherwise game-changing bad calls. I’m still steamed about the roughling call on CMIII in the Vikings game. The INT would have ended that game with a Packers win. But to say the outcome of any game is solely due to bad officiating, I just don’t buy that. The bad calls tend to even themselves out. That was true, much as I hate to admit it, in the tie with the queens.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there was the “tuck rule” call in 2000 in the Pats/Raiders game. That should have been a fumble and Oakland likely wins the game if it’s called that way.
The playoff game between the Packers and the 49ers where Rice clearly fumbled with 34 seconds left. but it wasn't called. The game should have and would have been over at that point, although we did let them score afterwards for the win. Still, it should have been over with a Packer win. The next season, they brought in instant replay.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, a few points:

I will certainly give you 1 and 3 though with #3 it seems like that every year. At least for the past 4 or 5 anyway. As far as #2 goes I'm not saying you are wrong but maybe its because of #1 that it seems like that. In the past we could overcome bad calls so we tend to remember the win and not the bad calls.

The playoff game between the Packers and the 49ers where Rice clearly fumbled with 34 seconds left. but it wasn't called. The game should have and would have been over at that point, although we did let them score afterwards for the win. Still, it should have been over with a Packer win. The next season, they brought in instant replay.

That game still upsets me to this day. I try to forget it but some people just have no concern for other people's feelings :D:D:D

We get hosed and they bring in instant replay. We get hosed and they bring back the real refs. Aaron gets Barred and we get hosed. That's just to damn much hosing if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 6794

The bad calls tend to even themselves out. That was true, much as I hate to admit it, in the tie with the queens.

While the penalty on Kendricks was questionable as well it wasn't as egregious as the one on Matthews nor did it happen at a point the game would have been decided without it.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just imagine how bad it would be for Bobby Boucher if he played the college or pro game nowadays. Would South Central Louisiana State make it to the championship game? Bobby led a lot with the helmet it appears. Sorry guys, watching the movie for the umpteenth time and thought it may lighten the mood a little. Go Pack Go!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts