Hopes high, but expectations tempered..

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going into this weekend remembering that our recent Super Bowl run started in this very same predicament, winning every game on the road as what started as a very average team. Our defense was labeled as opportunistic at best, but gave up way too many big plays to be considered a threat- although really turned it up a notch in the playoffs.

Our offense at the time was admittedly significantly better, although I would argue our offensive line at the time was just as bad if not worse. And our running game going into the playoffs was non existent and suddenly Starks became an icon out of nowhere.

So I argue that we are looking at a similar team this year, only with a regressed offense. And I really think the key here is going to be Cobb. If Cobb can create separation and give him that security blanket that Rodgers is missing in Nelson, I think this team is capable of making a push.

Rodgers is not comfortable because NO ONE is getting separation. If even one of our wideouts could present a consistent match up problem, then I think Rodgers will stop looking so frantic- and let's face it in recent games the O line has given him more than enough time to throw the ball. Just my opinion, and I think Cobb is going to be the x factor on offense.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going into this weekend remembering that our recent Super Bowl run started in this very same predicament,

I'm going to have to stop you there and point out the first half sentence of your post if not correct:
  • The 2010 Packers won 7 of their last 10 games, including winning the last two games of the season to get into the playoffs. The 2015 Packers lost 6 of their last 10 games, losing the last two games of the season.
  • The 2010 Packers had the 8th ranked total offense and 5th ranked total defense. The 2015 Packers have the 23rd ranked total offense and 15th ranked total defense.
The 2010 Packers were a better team and entered the playoffs on a much hotter streak. The only "similarity" is that neither team won the NFC North.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope is fine, glad you indicated tempered expectations. Lots of discussion about why this isn't even close to 2010, but perhaps it hasn't come up in this forum. Had a big IR list then, but the folks we lost either weren't important, they were replaced by people who were better (or had their career years at the same time), or (Finley) may have even been beneficial in that the offense became multi-dimensional. This year, not so many on IR, but tons of injuries, and the replacements have been laughable, specifically the OLine. They also went into 'playoff mode' for the last two games, needing to win them, whereas they're going in this year after dropping the division game at home last week. Have to also wonder why Cobb could be expected to be Cobb again - Starks hadn't played more than a handful of downs in 2010 before the playoffs, while Cobb and ______ have been running round aimlessly, or into each other, for most of the year. Sure hope that hope wins out, but as for expectations, mine are pretty low.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is not comfortable because NO ONE is getting separation. If even one of our wideouts could present a consistent match up problem, then I think Rodgers will stop looking so frantic- and let's face it in recent games the O line has given him more than enough time to throw the ball. Just my opinion, and I think Cobb is going to be the x factor on offense.

You should read some articles on this, I just posted something a little earlier today... Ill add it at the bottom to but there is a ton of articles showing screen of what is going wrong. But there is a plethora of problems. One of which is the receivers but it doesn't end there.

Rodgers has been both inaccurate and missing open people.

The line is atrocious at times with backups in... Sometimes when they do hold up Rodgers doesn't trust it so he gets into more trouble.

Play calling is not always beneficial to the receiving group we do have. There is screenshots of us running quad curl routes. No creativity at all.

No deep threat and on plays like last week were JJ did get open deep the pass was off by 5 yards short.

Anyways... Take a look.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-not-playing-like-an-elite-qb?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should read some articles on this, I just posted something a little earlier today... Ill add it at the bottom to but there is a ton of articles showing screen of what is going wrong. But there is a plethora of problems. One of which is the receivers but it doesn't end there.

Rodgers has been both inaccurate and missing open people.

The line is atrocious at times with backups in... Sometimes when they do hold up Rodgers doesn't trust it so he gets into more trouble.

Play calling is not always beneficial to the receiving group we do have. There is screenshots of us running quad curl routes. No creativity at all.

No deep threat and on plays like last week were JJ did get open deep the pass was off by 5 yards short.

Anyways... Take a look.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-not-playing-like-an-elite-qb?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

I read this article too. I've been confused for a LOOOOONG time why the Packers are not running picks and rubs and still running vertical routes all game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hopes and expectations are low for this game. I'm an optimistic person and have a good feeling about next season. However, we haven't been able to fix the problems this season and don't see us pulling a magic rabbit out of the hat. As noted in the Alex Van Pelt thread, I think that the real problem is in the coaching structure and that can't be addressed until the off-season.

I hope we win and I'll be as excited as anyone, but this 8-cylinder team isn't going far with 3-4 fouled plugs.

Reaction score
I think we can get to the divisional.
Yes, Anything past that is unlikely.
The only way we pull out a win past the Redskins game is a confidence game.... Its if our Offense has a revelation of historic proportions and blows out the Skins by 3+ scores

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts