Hope for Super Mario

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
From PFT.com

BREES DEAL IS A ONE-YEAR ARRANGEMENT

Lost in the hubbub regarding the decision of Drew Brees to sign with the Saints is the fact that his contract is, as a practical matter, a one-year deal.

Why? Because the deal contains a whopping $12 million option bonus due in the spring of 2007, in addition to his $8 million signing bonus.

We're not saying that the Saints won't pick up the option if Brees has an MVP season and delivers a Lombardi to the Bayou. Barring that highly unlikely outcome, however, the contract will either be terminated or restructured in a year, making the thing a one-year, $10 million deal.

So, as a practical matter, Brees doesn't have much more security than he would have had if the Chargers had slapped the franchise tag on him.

As a result, we're not prepared to give much credence to the news that the Saints will look to trade out of the No. 2 spot in the draft. At a time when the team is looking to parlay the Brees season ticket sales for folks who are happy to hear that Drew is coming to town, the last thing that the franchise needs to emphasize over the next months or so is the possibility that the Brees is but a Band-Aid.

Don't be shocked, then, if the Saints ultimately declare that they couldn't get commensurate value for the pick, and that they had no choice but to use on Matt Leinart.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks zero....I was looking for the terms. They could still take Leinart and have him sit a year and see how Brees comes back from injury. If he doesn't come back fullforce they can let him go. Hell they can be in the same shape as san Diego was a year ago. Brees and Rivers...who to play....who to play???

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Thanks zero....I was looking for the terms. They could still take Leinart and have him sit a year and see how Brees comes back from injury. If he doesn't come back fullforce they can let him go. Hell they can be in the same shape as san Diego was a year ago. Brees and Rivers...who to play....who to play???

If/when the saints pick a QB I'm going to kind of feel bad for Brees, but only for three picks when the Packers pick Mario then I won't give a hoot.

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope they choose ferguson so we can get mario. i used to like a.j. hawk more, but now im starting to lean more towards mario.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts