Honestly --Seriously ... could you root for an NFC North team in the playoffs?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Aside from the Pack? Just for the sake of argument, let's say the Pack don't make the playoffs ( not asking for commentary on this point).... let's say the Bears or Lions win the North (by default).

Any way that you could muster up the good sportsmanship to root for the divisional winner until they get blown out in the first round?

I'm only asking because I seem to be having some difficulty wrapping my mind around rooting for ANY North Division team outside of Green Bay. Childish? Yeah, to be sure ... and I don't despise the teams as much as I dislike their fans ( except Vikie fans - never had a bad encounter in real life with a Vikie fan - cyber fans...who cares...).

Anyway.... could you?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Lions were to make the playoffs I should root for them since, living in Upper Michigan, I have friends and relatives who are Lions fans.
But I won't!

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could pull for other NFC teams and even AFC teams, for that matter, in the playoffs, but I could NEVER pull for any other NFC North team. Every time a divisional rival plays I hope they get blown out or at least lose.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I could pull for other NFC teams and even AFC teams, for that matter, in the playoffs, but I could NEVER pull for any other NFC North team. Every time a divisional rival plays I hope they get blown out or at least lose.

My thoughts as well

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hey, each to his own. If another NFC team got there and we didn`t, it would be because we didn`t deserve to be there, not because they cheated us, because they were the better team. If you asked if I could cheer for the Giants, the Seahawks, the Cowboys, or the Saints ? emphatically NO !

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly - I dont care about the playoffs if the Packers dont play.
And I couldnt care less who wins the Super Bowl if its not the Packers though I must admit that it please shouldnt be the Lions, Bears, 49ers, Seahawks, Giants..... ;)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Root for an NFC North team? No. Rather see an NFC North team win over the 49ers or the Giants or the Cowpokes? If it were the Lions, probably yes. It would be hard to root for the Bears under any circumstances.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I would not care at all but id hope any other team that played the 49ers, Cowgirls, Queens, Bears and the NJ Dwarves would win.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. I don't like the Bears Lions or Vikings.
Some of my greatest moments of joy watching sports was seeing the Vikings lose big games, specifically the 2009 NFC Championship game at the Saints where Farve threw it away.

And I loved seeing them choke to the Falcons in the 1998 NFC Title game.

But looking back on that, on the Randall Cunningham story on ESPN 3o for 30 or some other documentary, I now wish they would have won that game and played the Broncos in that Super Bowl instead of the Fluke Falcons, who got annihilated.
Cunningham was a great man, which I did not know, as I have always been used the the Vikings having a bunch of scummy criminals.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I love NFL football. I can watch any game and enjoy it I have a reason to like almost every team. I wish Woodson success so Oakland is OK. I wish Jennings success so Minn is OK (not against us obviously). When Kampman/Wahle/Rivera/Favre/Barnett/Brohm/Flynn....... went to new teams, a little of me went with them. The only two teams that have ZERO ability to muster ANY love for are the Bears and Cowboys. If they play each other, I wouldn't have the ability to pick one over the other.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Now if weeds would have just asked if we could root for a division team “honestly” or if he’d have just asked “seriously”, I would probably lie or not take the question seriously. But since he included both words…

I wouldn’t root for any division opponent in the playoffs and I don’t think it’s a childish position or lacks sportsmanship. What allegiance do we owe them? No way I could root for the Vikings or Bears and if not for their HC and the dirty play of their team, I might consider rooting for the Lions. But not as long as their HC is in place.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only teams that I cannot ever pull for no matter what would be the Cheatriots and the Taints.
I can't stand cheaters or those who do scummy things like the Taints did.
Other teams I wouldn't root for would be the Vikings and the Stealers.
Besides them, it just depends on my mood and who is playing against who.
I usually root for underdogs but I'll just have to wait and see who is playing before deciding.
At this time from looking at the standings I could root for the Broncos, Jets, Chiefs, Colts, Lions, Bears, and Panthers.
Maybe Seahawks or 9ers if I ever get over our losses to them.
Other than those teams, none of the other has any appeal to me.
Would be nice for the Chiefs to win it all or the Broncos. Peyton should get one more before retiring.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, each to his own. If another NFC team got there and we didn`t, it would be because we didn`t deserve to be there, not because they cheated us, because they were the better team. If you asked if I could cheer for the Giants, the Seahawks, the Cowboys, or the Saints ? emphatically NO !
I live in the Pacific North West so I have a bunch of friends that are Seahawks fans, I moved out here a few months before they hired P. Carroll as their coach. The building process they have gone through has been exciting to see first hand. Up till the time they play each other I cheer both Go Pack Go! and Go Hawks! weekly. When they do meet of course the singular cheer I utter is Go Pack Go.

As for the NFC North teams, I want to see them thoroughly embarrassed. A rival, is a rival, is a rival.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Would be nice for the Chiefs to win it all or the Broncos. Peyton should get one more before retiring.

If one could derive the greatest pleasure from seeing another team lose... the Donks would be at the top of my list... (with the possible exception of Manchester United FC). When I see that gloating toad Elway walking the sidelines I am almost incited to violence. The Mannings... (Archie, PaidAton, and Sheli) are the empitomy of disgusting.

I posted for a short time on Chiefs Planet... (Squaw World) and found it difficult to dislike them. So they are the one divisional rival I could cheer for if they play... (including the aforementioned heap of crap)...

Oakland... Unfortunately Al Davis died. They may now improve somewhat.
Belicheats... (no explanation required)
Jets... (most abusive and disgusting fans alive)
Dallas... (no explanation required)
NY Giants... (had to cheer for them in the SB vs NE. There are diseases that are more fun).
Saints... (Brees should go **** himself).
Steelers... (terrible towel arsewipes)
Ravens... (meh)
Colts... (remnants of Manning distaste)
Bears... (Jay Cutler)
Bucs... (same owners as MUFC)
49ers... (they've already won too many SBs)

I

If one could derive the greatest pleasure from seeing another team lose... the Donks would be at the top of my list... (with the possible exception of Manchester United FC). When I see that gloating toad Elway walking the sidelines I am almost incited to violence. The Mannings... (Archie, PaidAton, and Sheli) are the empitomy of disgusting.

I posted for a short time on Chiefs Planet... (Squaw World) and found it difficult to dislike them. So they are the one divisional rival I could cheer for if they play... (including the aforementioned heap of crap)...

Oakland... Unfortunately Al Davis died. They may now improve somewhat.
Belicheats... (no explanation required)
Jets... (most abusive and disgusting fans alive)
Dallas... (no explanation required)
NY Giants... (had to cheer for them in the SB vs NE. There are diseases that are more fun).
Saints... (Brees should go **** himself).
Steelers... (terrible towel arsewipes)
Ravens... (meh)
Colts... (remnants of Manning distaste)
Bears... (Jay Cutler)
Bucs... (same owners as MUFC)
49ers... (they've already won too many SBs)

Again, each to his own. I`ve never had an issue with Peyton, although baby brother is a little turd. I kinda like the Steelers in a way. Some of their fans showed class on here after the Superbowl win and that impressed me. I TOTALLY agree about Belicheck, because of his whole demeanor. ALL the others I am indifferent to. I WOULD like to see Kansas do well for Alex Smith, especially against the 49ers. A pleasant passenger once sent me a Packers ball for helping him out at the airport last year. We stayed intouch and he is a Jags fan. For that act of kindness, I could root for them at a push.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Again, each to his own. I`ve never had an issue with Peyton, although baby brother is a little turd.

To each his own is understood in the context of forum postings. You are dealing with a lot of subjective opinions... (mine included). Woe be it to the ones who consider themselves experts. What most dedicated fans have over the punditry is an intimate knowledge of one team. A Chargers fan's perspective on the Manning family would have been colored by the time up to and culminating in the 2004 draft.

I

To each his own is understood in the context of forum postings. You are dealing with a lot of subjective opinions... (mine included). Woe be it to the ones who consider themselves experts. What most dedicated fans have over the punditry is an intimate knowledge of one team. A Chargers fan's perspective on the Manning family would have been colored by the time up to and culminating in the 2004 draft.

Did he snub the Chargers or something ? I`m curious now

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
He was drafted by SD 1st over all, after VERY publicly saying that he wouldn't sign with them. Unknow to Unmanning, SD had arranged a trade with NY so he was never going to be in SD from the get go. When SD used #1 on that ****, he had a look on his face that would kill. There you are, picked #1 overall and you can't manage a smile. Ever since then there wasn't a Unmanning on the face of the earth that I could respect.

I

He was drafted by SD 1st over all, after VERY publicly saying that he wouldn't sign with them. Unknow to Unmanning, SD had arranged a trade with NY so he was never going to be in SD from the get go. When SD used #1 on that ****, he had a look on his face that would kill. There you are, picked #1 overall and you can't manage a smile. Ever since then there wasn't a Unmanning on the face of the earth that I could respect.

Thanks for that Bus :tup:. I didn`t know the full story

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score

The Chargers were coming off a 2-14 season with Drew Brees in his second year as the starting QB was just farkin' awful. Eli Manning was long projected as the highest rated player in the draft. San Diego had 1st pick. The Manning patriarch... (former Saints QB Archie Manning who was handling negotiations)... indicated that little Eli had no interest in playing for a small market team... (for they had their eyes on lucrative endorsement deals). Peyton also made a few comments regarding the Chargers that were clumsy at best.

San Diego GM A.J. Smith... (who was kind of a tough bastage)... paid no heed and drafted Eli anyway. He was handed a jersey and a cap... (he put on the cap but screwed an expression on his face like he was balancing a turd on his head). The Giants drafted Philip Rivers with the fourth overall pick... (in what was assumed to be a pre-arranged deal). But soon a dispute erupted because SD wanted a 1st round pick in 2005 and NY said no. The NFL intervened to put an end to the fiasco by telling the Giants to give the Chargers the pick.

---
On a side note... John Elway (King Donk) was another 1st overall pick who refused to play for the team who drafted him. Some fans have a long memory. :D

Last edited:
I

The Chargers were coming off a 2-14 season as Drew Brees in his second year as the starting QB was just farkin' awful. Eli Manning was long projected as the highest rated player in the draft. San Diego had 1st pick. The Manning patriarch... (former Saints QB Archie Manning who was handling negotiations)... indicated that little Eli had no interest in playing for a small market team... (as they had their eyes on lucrative endorsement deals). Peyton also made a few comments regarding the Chargers that were clumsy at best.

San Diego GM A.J. Smith... (who was kind of a tough bastage)... paid no heed and drafted Eli anyway. He was handed a jersey and a cap... (he put on the cap but screwed an expression on his face like he was balancing a turd on his head). The Giants drafted Philip Rivers with the fourth overall pick... (in what was assumed to be a pre-arranged deal). But soon a dispute erupted because SD wanted a 1st round pick in 2005 and NY said no. The NFL intervened to put an end to the fiasco by telling the Giants to give the Chargers the pick.

---
In a side note... John Elway (King Donk) was another 1st overall pick who refused to play for the team who drafted him. Some fans have a long memory. :D

Okay I understand now ;), and can understand peoples contempt. Players who think they are bigger than the franchises get my back up too. Didn`t Barry Saunders old man try a similar trick with the Lions, who called his bluff and held onto his contract ???

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If one could derive the greatest pleasure from seeing another team lose... the Donks would be at the top of my list... ... When I see that gloating toad Elway walking the sidelines I am almost incited to violence.
I've hated Elway since the 97 season SB. Then the year after all those damn Coors commercials ... that gloating smug smile, ... I'd like to wipe the floor with his face.

Members online