Honest reactions to the draft.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just got back from China and I reviewed our draft. Now I'm not an expert, but here are a few things that I like or surprised me.

1.) I really like the Datone Jones pick because we need a strong DE with pass rush ability. However, I'm shocked that we didn't go with Hankins, Jenkins, or Short with this pick.
2.) LOVE the fact that we were able to get Lacy in the second. This was huge!
3.) I understand that we got a lot of fourth round picks for our third round pick, but there was a lot of helpful talent here.
4.) I don't know much about Bakhtiari or Tretter, but Barrett Jones was still there with this pick. I also had Quessenberry higher.
5.) I love the Franklin pick!
6.) What was up with our Wide Receiver pick? We could have had Patton in the 3rd. Cobi Hamilton was there were we took Palmer. We definitely could have had Marquess Wilson where we got Johnson. I liked Aaron Mellette also here.
7.) Ummm Micah Hyde??? Baccari Rambo was still on the board.
8.) Why didn't we take a chance and sign Joseph Fauria after the draft?
9.) I feel like we missed a lot of good linebackers and d-line in a very deep draft.

Thoughts?

M

mayo44

I just got back from China and I reviewed our draft. Now I'm not an expert, but here are a few things that I like or surprised me.

1.) I really like the Datone Jones pick because we need a strong DE with pass rush ability. However, I'm shocked that we didn't go with Hankins, Jenkins, or Short with this pick.
3.) I understand that we got a lot of fourth round picks for our third round pick, but there was a lot of helpful talent here.
4.) I don't know much about Bakhtiari or Tretter, but Barrett Jones was still there with this pick. I also had Quessenberry higher.
6.) What was up with our Wide Receiver pick? We could have had Patton in the 3rd. Cobi Hamilton was there were we took Palmer. We definitely could have had Marquess Wilson where we got Johnson. I liked Aaron Mellette also here.
9.) I feel like we missed a lot of good linebackers and d-line in a very deep draft.

Thoughts?

Well, my initial thought is that TT probably assigned different values to the players you mentioned than you did.

My second thought is that AR's career will be extended with the addition of a considerable running threat.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
1. We went with Jones because of his movement skills. Some people are in outrage about the way the season ended last year, this is insurance.
3. It was also a talent log jam. If you're positive that you can get one of the same guys with a much later pick, why not trade down, get more picks, and grab the guy that falls?
4. Likely that Jones may not have been on our board for a med red. I had Bakhtiari MUCH higher. Tretter was a reaction pick to a run on centers that got started.
6. WR come cheap. It's a skill position where even Joe Undrafted can succeed. We still have 3 great WR, and we picked up a 4th round talent in the 7th. Besides, Wilson probably wasn't on our board either for a character red. I'm shocked you missed that we passed on Da'Rick Rogers in the 7th. Why so injurious?
7. We're apparently comfortable at Safety. Once again, Rambo might not have been on our board because of character red (though Hyde wasn't exactly a bright green there). Hyde is getting a shot at CB, but is really the new Jarrett Bush. Would have liked to see us go elsewhere with this pick, but we got him now.
8. Because he signed with the Lions first? We grabbed Jake Stoneburner though.
9. And still got a versatile second DL in Boyd and a haul of other good prospects. It's just the way the board fell. Stop agonizing over it.

As for my thoughts, TE LOLB and FS will still be needs next year, but next year's draft looks like it may be solid at those positions and we made a lot of progress this draft while covering most of our bases.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts are that we can't just go off Mel Kiper's big draft mock board to decide who was a reach and who we missed out on. The team does not let that influence their own evaluations of potential talent, nor should they.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thoughts?

My thoughts are the Datone Jones pick was a good one as was the Lacy pick. I liked the Franklin pick and the Johnson pick. Didn't like trading out of the third to the fourth to get what we got. Other picks didn't excite me. I didn't get any of my thoughts off Kipers big board.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts are the Datone Jones pick was a good one as was the Lacy pick. I liked the Franklin pick and the Johnson pick. Didn't like trading out of the third to the fourth to get what we got. Other picks didn't excite me. I didn't get any of my thoughts off Kipers big board.

My take is similar: Jones looks like a quality addition to the defensive line. Lacy and Franklin were great values that add some juice to the ground game (some two-back sets would be cool to work in). Didn't mind the Bakhtiari pick but the Tretter selection had me disappointed.

Johnson looks intriguing. He's just a little older than most at 24. I think Nate Palmer will become a good one.

Lots of FAs along the defensive line after next year. Hope Boyd looks good.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel more positive about this draft than any in years. Datone Jones was my first choice for a first round pick. I'm glad they did not pick some over-size clod of a D Lineman. I'm also glad we did not draft an O Lineman in the first or second round, as that would have been a sign of no confidence in Sherrod. Same thing with not drafting an OLB early indicating Perry may be on track to come back healthy. I'm also glad we did not draft a Safety early. Ditto that for drafting a Center early. Ditto that for a backup QB. I'm rapidly getting psyched up for what Lacy and Franklin bring to the team. The fourth round O Linemen should upgrade our depth. I'm also excited to see what the two WRs, Johnson and Dorsey can do as well as Stoneburner and several other UDFAs. The only thing I possibly wish we had gotten earlier was an OLB. Even if Perry is healthy, we could use better backups. I also thought they would address the fullback situation and cut Kuhn, although maybe that will be done with one of the TEs.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts