Honest Question: Why so much focus on Green Bay?

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question and I am hoping someone may be able to offer an explanation. First off, let me say that this is in no way a post that is making excuses for how we have played at times this season. We have to play better this season and that is obvious, however something has puzzled me a bit. Maybe it is because I am mainly focused on the Packers, but I am wondering why so much focus has been on us by analysts, etc? The Carolina Panthers who went to the Super Bowl last year are currently 1-5 and looking more and more like a wild card may be out of reach for them unless things dramatically turn around. The Arizona Cardinals who went to the NFC Championship game last year have lost 3 games and are behind us in the wild card hunt. The Denver Broncos, the defending Super Bowl champions, have lost 2 games. The Pittsburgh Steelers, many people's pick to possibly represent the AFC this year in the Super Bowl have lost 2 games. Other than the Patriots (lost 1 game) and the Vikings (undefeated) have a better loss record than us.

Now, again. of course we have to improve our level of play, but does it seem like to anyone else that we are the most criticized team by far this season? I guess my question is.... why are we so special?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just my opinions...
- Carolina is playing so poorly that although they're getting attention it seems that the media doesn't want to "beat them mercilessly". Almost like they're so bad nobody wants to pile-on more. I think they're resting on their laurels from last year and don't have the focus and hunger they had last year ~ which should be scrutinized and criticized but isn't.
- Pittsburgh is fighting through significant missed time so they're kind of getting a pass. First it was "waiting for Bell" to get back, and now it's "waiting for Ben to get healthy".
- Denver is getting a pass because they no longer have a stud QB carrying the offense.
- AZ - no explanations... they are definitely under-performing.
- GB has "no excuses" now that Jordy is back ~ the offense should be high-powered and carrying the team, once again, and is not. Also, AR has been a media-darling for years and now that he's not posting gaudy numbers he's an easy target to bring down.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just my guess, but we are on a Packer fan board, so I am guessing most of us are paying a lot more attention to what is happening with the Packers then any other team. My guess is that similar boards and fans in N.C. , Ariz, Denver, etc. are feeling the same. We are just more sensitive/aware of "Packer criticism".

Also, the Packers have been a successful organization for years, sometimes opposing fans like to kick a champ when they are down.

I was chatting with a friend from Chicago yesterday, she is a big Bears fan. After I pissed and moaned about all the Packer issues, she said "lighten up dude, they are 3-2 and have AR, they will be fine." Obviously, not everyone around the country is in tune with the Packers and any issues.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just my guess, but we are on a Packer fan board, so I am guessing most of us are paying a lot more attention to what is happening with the Packers then any other team. My guess is that similar boards and fans in N.C. , Ariz, Denver, etc. are feeling the same. We are just more sensitive/aware of "Packer criticism".

Also, the Packers have been a successful organization for years, sometimes opposing fans like to kick a champ when they are down.

I was chatting with a friend from Chicago yesterday, she is a big Bears fan. After I pissed and moaned about all the Packer issues, she said "lighten up dude, they are 3-2 and have AR, they will be fine." Obviously, not everyone around the country is in tune with the Packers and any issues.
Perspective is a precious commodity. For all our woes, the grass is browner in a lot of other yards.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it has to do with legacy and the history of greatness they bring to the sport.
We have one of the best QBs and since he isn't living up to his recent past of greatness, that brings in a lot of attention and questions.

MajikMan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it ultimately comes down to the struggles the Packers are having on offense right now. Aaron Rodgers has been a top 3 QB in the NFL ever since winning the SB in 2010-11 and the GB offense has been regarded as one of the best, if not the best during that stretch. Last season, was a fluke for the offense in most peoples' eyes because of all the injuries (Jordy, banged up o-line, unconditioned Lacy, etc.). Therefore, expectations were raised again this season and people were expecting results similar to the 2011 season and it hasn't been even remotely close. If GB was 3-2 and the offense was rolling, but the defense was underacheiving, people would not be reacting the way they are now.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just my opinions...
- Carolina is playing so poorly that although they're getting attention it seems that the media doesn't want to "beat them mercilessly". Almost like they're so bad nobody wants to pile-on more. I think they're resting on their laurels from last year and don't have the focus and hunger they had last year ~ which should be scrutinized and criticized but isn't.
- Pittsburgh is fighting through significant missed time so they're kind of getting a pass. First it was "waiting for Bell" to get back, and now it's "waiting for Ben to get healthy".
- Denver is getting a pass because they no longer have a stud QB carrying the offense.
- AZ - no explanations... they are definitely under-performing.
- GB has "no excuses" now that Jordy is back ~ the offense should be high-powered and carrying the team, once again, and is not. Also, AR has been a media-darling for years and now that he's not posting gaudy numbers he's an easy target to bring down.

This. Let's face it. AR has been called the greatest QB in the NFL, and some have said that he is or will be the GOAT. And they've been saying it for years. So it's either "what's wrong with Aaron?" or "He was never that good in the first place."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
True. Packer fans will always critique someone but a fire Capers campaign doesn't get the national attention like "What in the hell is wrong with Rodgers?!?"

"Fire Capers" has its own storied meaning on this board, kind of an inside joke. It's been around for as long as I have been here.

But yeah, non-Packer fans probably know about 2-4 names in relation to the Green Bay Packers and Dom Capers is probably not one of them. AR is a household name around the country for NFL fans and I am sure many aren't shedding a tear when someone who has gotten so much positive media attention is struggling.

Reaction score
I have a question and I am hoping someone may be able to offer an explanation. First off, let me say that this is in no way a post that is making excuses for how we have played at times this season. We have to play better this season and that is obvious, however something has puzzled me a bit. Maybe it is because I am mainly focused on the Packers, but I am wondering why so much focus has been on us by analysts, etc? The Carolina Panthers who went to the Super Bowl last year are currently 1-5 and looking more and more like a wild card may be out of reach for them unless things dramatically turn around. The Arizona Cardinals who went to the NFC Championship game last year have lost 3 games and are behind us in the wild card hunt. The Denver Broncos, the defending Super Bowl champions, have lost 2 games. The Pittsburgh Steelers, many people's pick to possibly represent the AFC this year in the Super Bowl have lost 2 games. Other than the Patriots (lost 1 game) and the Vikings (undefeated) have a better loss record than us.

Now, again. of course we have to improve our level of play, but does it seem like to anyone else that we are the most criticized team by far this season? I guess my question is.... why are we so special?
That isn't the biggest question to me. The biggest question to me is why are people nationally just realizing we're in an offensive funk now after the Cowboy game? It's basically been going on since the Denver game last year but has gone relatively unnoticed or untalked about until this week. This didn't start with the Dallas game

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Possibly because the Packers have one of the biggest national fan following in the NFL.......

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because the Packers went from having one of the five best offenses in the NFL to having one of the ten worst offenses in the NFL last season and nothing seems to have changed this year. That's kind of a big deal when there haven't been any major injuries to the QB to account for the change.

Chris398

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That isn't the biggest question to me. The biggest question to me is why are people nationally just realizing we're in an offensive funk now after the Cowboy game? It's basically been going on since the Denver game last year but has gone relatively unnoticed or untalked about until this week. This didn't start with the Dallas game

Yes, but with the good defense play the offense still plays just good enough to win games.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody know if there were any serious" Fire Capers" remarks in the shoutbox last night?

Since there wasn't a shut out and 5 ints, I bet there was at least one.
I can't find the shoutbox this season. Makes me wonder if I've been banned.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. Let's face it. AR has been called the greatest QB in the NFL, and some have said that he is or will be the GOAT. And they've been saying it for years. So it's either "what's wrong with Aaron?" or "He was never that good in the first place."
QBs transcend the normal team allegiances, especially with the younger crowd. Young adults who grew up watching AR win a SB are still following him even though they are fans of the Dolphins or Jets or .... It is a mystery and big point of interest that AR has been struggling for over a year now.

Plus it is a conspiracy by the NFL elite. The Redskins' controlled major media, subverting the normal fan process by creating a diversion to mask their own issues by manufacturing a 'controversy' to make Rodgers, the competition, look bad. Wait . . . Man I am really getting sick of election season.

H

HardRightEdge

QBs transcend the normal team allegiances, especially with the younger crowd. Young adults who grew up watching AR win a SB are still following him even though they are fans of the Dolphins or Jets or ....
The elephant in that corner is fantasy football. Primary allegiances for the fantasy participants (and gamblers), of which there are many, have shifted to the players on their artificially created rosters, not to any one particular team.

Consequently, high profile players that are expensive in fantasy drafts males, "What's wrong with Rodgers?" a national concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts