Honest positional needs

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious to know what peoples thoughts on Lane Taylor are. I didn't pay much attention to him this season, but I am hearing undertones of people thinking he needs to be replaced? Obviously the RG and possibly RT are 2 positions to focus on this off season, but should LG be another one?

I guess I was under the impression that Taylor wasn't playing as well as he has in the past, but that could be said for quite a few Packer players in 2018.

Is he our starter in 2019 or does he need to be replaced?

I think he's a huge downgrade from what Lang and Sitton were giving us, and if there's a big boy LG available in this draft, then yes we drop him.

But if only a RG and RT can be managed, then I'll live with that.

Like I said, at bare minimum Bulaga has to go. You cannot be allowed to stay when you're responsible for 80℅ of Rodgers's sacks.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you expect the offensive line to contain every single blitz you will be extremely disappointed next season once again.

Don't have to stop every rusher, mostly the ones coming up the middle so the ones coming off the edge are burned by quick release hot read throws.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's a huge downgrade from what Lang and Sitton were giving us, and if there's a big boy LG available in this draft, then yes we drop him.

Like I said, at bare minimum Bulaga has to go. You cannot be allowed to stay when you're responsible for 80℅ of Rodgers's sacks.

And who are you going to replace Bulaga with?

Bulaga is still good, and his replacement cost is high. I'd keep him yet while looking in the draft to replace him.

Reaction score
Curious to know what peoples thoughts on Lane Taylor are. I didn't pay much attention to him this season, but I am hearing undertones of people thinking he needs to be replaced? Obviously the RG and possibly RT are 2 positions to focus on this off season, but should LG be another one?

I guess I was under the impression that Taylor wasn't playing as well as he has in the past, but that could be said for quite a few Packer players in 2018.

My thought would be that we are in a 2yr building process. Not saying I’m giving up on 2019, just saying we don’t want to spread our resources too thin. He can hold his own 1 more year and prove his worth. I feel like Taylor is a C grade Guard, he’ll hurt you if he’s relied upon to do too much. But he’ll also hold his own if surrounded with talent.
I’d 100% firm up that RG spot and be thinking about signing Bulagas successor now. I’d probably go OT first round and I’d be prepared to use our #32(presumed) to package and move up as much as the late teens if necessary to do just that. Then I’d ideally spend 2 picks at OG in the middle rounds similar to the 2018 Cole Madison pick. Except I’d double down if there’s more than one worthy OL there.
Of course it’s a crap shoot, you could have Cody Ford slide to us in the first round and that would be tempting. If my top graded prospects are gone at #12? I’d be prepared to move around and getting 2 picks in the teens rather than #12,#32. By trading back just several spots you eliminate one of the candidates because you can dictate who they don’t pick at #12. If I can get my choice of LB/DE and OG/OT both before pick 20 and without losing resources (or even possibly gaining draft capital in later rounds or 2020 ) I’m listening

Last edited:

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see taking any O Lineman in this draft until the late 1st round pick. Nobody is worth a shot at 12 with the needs we have at DL, Edge, WR, Safety, TE and ILB
I agree that the #12 pick needs to be a DL or edge rusher. However, The #32 pick might be just the spot for tough, versatile OL such as Cody Ford or Dalton Risner. The 2nd or 3rd pick seems like a decent spot for Nate Herbig, Michael Deiter, or Chris Lindstrom.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

hmmm then I guess you want to get rid of Aaron himself?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Taylor had some issues with quicker interior DL getting on his edges and quickly disrupting Rodgers. He's a better run blocker than pass protector.

In my opinion, he's a solid starter. You could do worse, and if he's your worst starter you're doing pretty well. However, Petals seems intent on running the particular brand of zone blocking that is featured in the Kubiak offense. So his future will depend on how well he fits in to that system.

D

Deleted member 6794

Taylor is an average player the Packers can come by as long as they surround him with enough talent.

Bulaga is still a very good pass protector when healthy. According to PFF he was responsible for five sacks this season.

Unfortunately he has been injured way too often.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmm then I guess you want to get rid of Aaron himself?

While Rodgers does take a few unnecessary sacks, his OL has been more responsible than people think for them.

Personally I'm looking for LaFleur to somewhat make both AR's and the OL's jobs easier by getting more faster speedier guys on the field and encouraging AR to gun the ball out more on shorter throws that could generate YAC or bigger plays, though in today's league that is getting harder.

At the end of the day though there'll still be occasions when time must be bought for him to survey the field and not have to worry about a heavy rush in his face, something this OL was poor at doing this last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Rodgers does take a few unnecessary sacks, his OL has been more responsible than people think for them.

There's no denying the Packers offensive line was responsible for a lot of sacks but once again according to PFF they were the best pass blocking unit in the league.

Which is why OT must be a high priority in the draft to replace him immediately.

The Packers don't need to replace Bulaga immediately but need a decent backup in case he suffers another injury.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J.Taylor(Florida) really looked good in the bowl game and held his own at rt tackle. The only time I've seen him play.
Anyone else have an opinion on him?
Maybe a possibility for our 2nd pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
May sound funny, but a guy I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers pursue in Free Agency and back in Green Bay is Jared Cook. Despite playing with the crappy Raiders and at the age of 31, Cook reached career highs in receptions (68), yards (896), and touchdowns (six). His average of 13.2 yards-per-reception was the second-best total of his career, and this was the fourth season in which he did not fumble.

Was a mistake to ever let him leave Green Bay, but now a duo of him and Graham could make things interesting. Problem is, I think his will still command a pretty big pay day.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers don't need to replace Bulaga immediately but need a decent backup in case he suffers another injury.
I'd prefer to have a succession plan at right tackle prior to the start of the 2019 season. I'm good with Bulaga starting this season, but at some point injuries and age are going to make him useless with two torn ACL's already.

Ideally, I'd like to have a cornerstone right tackle in the starting lineup for 2020. And I think we need to acquire that player this off season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
May sound funny, but a guy I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers pursue in Free Agency and back in Green Bay is Jared Cook. Despite playing with the crappy Raiders and at the age of 31, Cook reached career highs in receptions (68), yards (896), and touchdowns (six). His average of 13.2 yards-per-reception was the second-best total of his career, and this was the fourth season in which he did not fumble.

Was a mistake to ever let him leave Green Bay, but now a duo of him and Graham could make things interesting. Problem is, I think his will still command a pretty big pay day.
Yeah the last part is what concerns me. Having that type of money tied up in the tight end position between him and Graham.

It'd be deadly lethal for opposing defenses, though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt the Packers would be interested in paying both Graham and Cook.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett asked for his release from the steelers. Packers should consider bringing him back. The guy was a stud and a hard hitter.

Reaction score
I liked Morgan but someone else mentioned some injury concerns in 2018? I feel like we'd get the usual 11-12 games from him so factor that in. He's a solid but unspectacular Safety. Not sure how the contract release would work but he's not worth more than 3-3.5M annual and at 30yrs old I wouldn't consider anything past a 2 yr contract

D

Deleted member 6794

Morgan Burnett asked for his release from the steelers. Packers should consider bringing him back. The guy was a stud and a hard hitter.

While Burnett was an above average safety during his tenure with the Packers he wasn't a stud by any means. The team shouldn't be interested in bringing him back.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying the Packers offensive line was responsible for a lot of sacks but once again according to PFF they were the best pass blocking unit in the league.

When Bulaga is healthy, sure. But he's made of glass and is sure to go down at any minute. Bahk isn't exactly the most durable player, either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When Bulaga is healthy, sure. But he's made of glass and is sure to go down at any minute. Bahk isn't exactly the most durable player, either.

No doubt on Bulaga, but I would disagree with you on Bahk. He has missed 6 starts in 6 years, I would call that pretty durable.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt on Bulaga, but I would disagree with you on Bahk. He has missed 6 starts in 6 years, I would call that pretty durable.
It's not necessarily the starts missed, just that he seems to get banged up a lot and the nature of the injuries usually involve the lower body. He suffered an ankle injury in August and two knee injuries in November. We've been lucky that he's avoided missing extensive playing time, but it seems like it's a bigger risk than appears, especially since he's not getting any younger

We really need a backup swing tackle. It's unreasonable to expect quality depth at every OL position, but a quality backup who can play both tackle positions is almost a necessity.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's not necessarily the starts missed, just that he seems to get banged up a lot and the nature of the injuries usually involve the lower body. He suffered an ankle injury in August and two knee injuries in November. We've been lucky that he's avoided missing extensive playing time, but it seems like it's a bigger risk than appears, especially since he's not getting any younger

We really need a backup swing tackle. It's unreasonable to expect quality depth at every OL position, but a quality backup who can play both tackle positions is almost a necessity.

Agree with you on that. But for me that is one of the reasons I really like Bahk, he seems like he will "tape it up and go" and still play pretty well.

You are correct though, our depth at OL has gotten down to bare bones and the apparent miss on Spriggs and all the draft capital pumped into the defense has come back to haunt us.

I foresee Gute addressing the OL pretty heavy in Free Agency and/or the Draft.

Members online

Latest posts