HOF QB Kurt Warner brakes down Packers vs Lions

Reaction score
All of you need to watch and listen to this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I’m surprised how often Receivers are either Out-leveraged, Fall down or just run the wrong direction. It’s almost rudimentary level for a receiver to not run fully against the grain on a naked bootleg. That one surprised me the most because the only reason you’d do that is if you had no idea what play was called. You’ve completely taken yourself out of that play to the point they would be better off not having you on the field confusing the Read progression.

OP
OP
P

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like Kurt said I'm not sure if it's the receivers or coaching but he just doesn't want to call anyone out for obvious reasons, and since the mistakes and details he points out have been present and are happening since the beginning of the season this clearly points to coaching because if it wasn't then they should have and would have been corrected by now.
Maybe the loss of Getsy and Hackett hit this team harder then anyone expected and exposed Lafleur in the process.

Alternatively the coaching issue has been here since Lafleur took over but since Adams benefited from McCarthys coaching as well as being dedicated and perhaps having high football IQ he was able to raise him game without having to rely on Lafleur and so he thrived.

This would also explain why Rodgers relied so heavily on Adams over this years as well as the fact that whatever receivers we brought in never seemed to amount to nothing special and eventually all left town.

Seems to me this is a strong possibility in which case we at the very least need to hire a prooven top noch Wideout coach asap.
And to be honest fire and replace Lafleur because even if he is good in other areas ( maybe) he was blind and cluless to see this issue since he has neen here.

And by what Kurt is saying Rodgers didn't lose it all though he isn't playing his best ball at times.
We should be happy about that I guess and hope that Ridgers decides to come back and play couple more years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's like Kurs said I'm not sure if it's the receivers or it's coaching but I'm leaning towards its a coaching issue as I been saying all along.

And by what Kurs I'd saying Rodgers haven't lost it but rather it's other issues.
We should be happy about that I guess and hope we can solve this by 2023
I also put that on our new OC. If this was supposed to be “on the job” training it’s not a very smart transition move.

I can also show countless plays where Rodgers has 1 or 2 Receivers for easy TD’s but he’s caught looking down. He doesn’t trust his OL or he also doesn’t trust his Receivers.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has 1 or 2 Receivers for easy TD’s but he’s caught looking down. He doesn’t trust his OL or he also doesn’t trust his Receivers.

Rodgers has always missed a lot of open wrs if you watch the all 22...as has every other qb

Reaction score
Rodgers has always missed a lot of open wrs if you watch the all 22...as has every other qb
True. But every other QB isn’t 3-6 or scoring 17 points per game. It really shows up when you’re struggling overall as a team.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. But every other QB isn’t 3-6 or scoring 17 points per game. It really shows up when you’re struggling overall as a team.

The thing is if the other guys were doing even the bare minimum which to me is at the very leaat knowing the plays and being in the right spots.

Would Rodgers have missed the throw to Watkins on the 2nd level crosser off the naked boot? I doubt it, Christian Watson cleared out a huge area with his deep route. That was a td for Watkins, as was the fade on the goal line. You add up 5 or 6 of those plays a game and its easy to see why you cant win. The other teams are just too good to be able to make that many mistakes

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of bad route running and a lot of bad play design imho. The receivers need to have permission to cut off bad/covered routes and go for the open areas. You just can't let those open areas go to waste. When Warner was saying Arron was seeing blue; I was not always agreeing with that. He was antsy. Tom was doing a really good job.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m surprised how often Receivers are either Out-leveraged, Fall down or just run the wrong direction. It’s almost rudimentary level for a receiver to not run fully against the grain on a naked bootleg. That one surprised me the most because the only reason you’d do that is if you had no idea what play was called. You’ve completely taken yourself out of that play to the point they would be better off not having you on the field confusing the Read progression.
Shocker . Some wr fall, some don’t know where to go

I want to know why he doesn’t hit the open guy or doesn’t see him

Why is he under throwing a wr at goal line for a td

Why is he over throwing te

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im now on the its the coaching starting with MLF because of something I heard yesterday about his plan to get the team playing better smh.

I have to wait and see if it happens Sunday...but whether they win or lose against the Cowboys. If this truly is something he came up with he's gotta go because he's in over his head

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Shocker . Some wr fall, some don’t know where to go

I want to know why he doesn’t hit the open guy or doesn’t see him
*IF* you watched the video, I think you can answer your own question.

Why is he under throwing a wr at goal line for a td

Why is he over throwing te
Because he also isn't playing 100% to his capability.

This is not an all or none proposition. You're fixated on the Rodgers portion of it and seem hesitant about wanting to address the rest of the obvious issues.

There's no way anyone with eyes can watch that video and tell me that there aren't some SERIOUS issues with receivers not doing what they are supposed to do. At the same time, Rodgers isn't as pin point accurate as we've seen him in the past.

TWO THINGS CAN BE TRUE.

Reaction score
The thing is if the other guys were doing even the bare minimum which to me is at the very leaat knowing the plays and being in the right spots.

Would Rodgers have missed the throw to Watkins on the 2nd level crosser off the naked boot? I doubt it, Christian Watson cleared out a huge area with his deep route. That was a td for Watkins, as was the fade on the goal line. You add up 5 or 6 of those plays a game and its easy to see why you cant win. The other teams are just too good to be able to make that many mistakes
yes. You only get so many opportunities and if you can convert just 50% of those obvious misses were seeing, it’s an entirely different ball game. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see us 4-4 etc.. had you told me that week 1. But where I’m surprised is we seemingly look the same or worse each week in the passing game. Therefore the so called experts in here that said “you have to have a passing game to open the run” have not noticed we have no formidable passing attack. It’s a passing cluster. Yet we want to keep trying to force our will instead of taking what they give us, which has been a decent Rushing average (12th in yards) and countless times in or near scoring position with zero points to show for it. Only the Buffalo Bills and LV Raiders have a similar or better success with below average run opportunities. Even with below average attempts (17th) we are tied at 4.3 per (15th) and total yards (12th). We dismantled the #1 Rushing Defense a couple of weeks ago. No other team in 9 Weeks is within 34 yards of Green Bay’s 208 yards against the Bills. If we can run against Buffalo in Buffalo we can run against anyone anywhere.

I would’ve played my best prospects in the Run game early on. Btw, Where on earth is our 3rd Rounder Sean Rhyan?? Is he still in the NFL?

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
*IF* you watched the video, I think you can answer your own question.

Because he also isn't playing 100% to his capability.

This is not an all or none proposition. You're fixated on the Rodgers portion of it and seem hesitant about wanting to address the rest of the obvious issues.

There's no way anyone with eyes can watch that video and tell me that there aren't some SERIOUS issues with receivers not doing what they are supposed to do. At the same time, Rodgers isn't as pin point accurate as we've seen him in the past.

TWO THINGS CAN BE TRUE.
And you’re fixated on defending him to me. And that’s okay, I just know if you quote me it’s about my negative issues with him

Now. Def has issues, Oline has issues, st has issues, the entire team has issues.

For 50 mill I expect it to be better

Sure wr ,online and coaching plays into it. But I recall other qb with similar issues ( New England and their no name wr for a while)

But again, you can disagree, but I want him to play better he needs to play better

Haven’t we heard, Aj Hawk???
If he was only a 3rd round then his production is fine but as a #1 he sucks

For me it’s the same. 3rd qb ok fine but 50 mill?

If you don’t agree that’s fine but this is my opinion

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
And you’re fixated on defending him to me. And that’s okay, I just know if you quote me it’s about my negative issues with him

Now. Def has issues, Oline has issues, st has issues, the entire team has issues.

For 50 mill I expect it to be better

Sure wr ,online and coaching plays into it. But I recall other qb with similar issues ( New England and their no name wr for a while)

But again, you can disagree, but I want him to play better he needs to play better

Haven’t we heard, Aj Hawk???
If he was only a 3rd round then his production is fine but as a #1 he sucks

For me it’s the same. 3rd qb ok fine but 50 mill?

If you don’t agree that’s fine but this is my opinion
A quick audit of my recent posting history will show you that I'm not fixated on defending him. Look at my comments during and after the Lions game in those threads.

But some of the criticism has been unbearably over the top.

I know you realize other parts of the team aren't playing well and it's frustrating when the 50 million dollar man isn't playing up to that level. We definitely share that frustration. But I'm also as frustrated with receivers falling down, taking bad angles, dropping passes, flat out running the wrong routes, etc.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also put that on our new OC. If this was supposed to be “on the job” training it’s not a very smart transition move.

I can also show countless plays where Rodgers has 1 or 2 Receivers for easy TD’s but he’s caught looking down. He doesn’t trust his OL or he also doesn’t trust his Receivers.
And when that happens we are certainly in trouble. I always believed that Brady in NE and Peyton Manning at Indy and Denver worked extremely hard from preseason to midseason being on the same page with their receivers. All of them. And it was not as if each had Marvin Harrison or Gronk their entire careers. Something did not materialize after the draft. No one person is responsible. Many are.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can also show countless plays where Rodgers has 1 or 2 Receivers for easy TD’s but he’s caught looking down.

I'm quite sure you can't come up with as many as you insist above.

Rodgers has missed less open receivers than most other quarterbacks over his career though.

True. But every other QB isn’t 3-6 or scoring 17 points per game.

True, but nearly every other quarterback has more talent to work with.

Therefore the so called experts in here that said “you have to have a passing game to open the run” have not noticed we have no formidable passing attack. It’s a passing cluster. Yet we want to keep trying to force our will instead of taking what they give us, which has been a decent Rushing average (12th in yards) and countless times in or near scoring position with zero points to show for it.

I haven't seen a single poster arguing the Packers have a decent passing game this season. They need to do better to have success running the ball though.
I always believed that Brady in NE and Peyton Manning at Indy and Denver worked extremely hard from preseason to midseason being on the same page with their receivers. All of them. And it was not as if each had Marvin Harrison or Gronk their entire careers.

Brady has had elite defenses for nearly every season. If the Bucs continue to stay in the top 10 in points allowed this year he has had the benefit of such a unit in 18 (!!!) of 21 seasons in the league.

Manning gad always a top target to throw to in Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne or Demaryius Thomas.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Wow thats an insane stat. Top 10 Defense in 18 of 21 seasons. Definitely easier to win that way...
Can't be overstated.

The margin of error is so dramatically decreased. Brady has won so many playoff games with scoring outputs in the teens. Or games in which he's turned the ball over multiple times. Something Rodgers hasn't had the luxury of often.

Although last year's 9er game is a big time black mark in that regard.

Reaction score
I haven't seen a single poster arguing the Packers have a decent passing game this season. They need to do better to have success running the ball though.
It’s not that they argued we have a great passing attack. I said they argued that you need to have a great passing attack to open up the run game, which is kind of an unconventional spin on play action.

This Offense (with our Roster) is easily capable of 20-25 points per game if it’s functioning properly and running disciplined. I don’t believe they are synchronized at all. It’s like we’re in Week 1-3 as far as playing undisciplined.

Unfortunately it might be too late to turn it around. It’s way deep in the season to sputter Offensively and our Roster isn’t as bad as we’re making it look.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not that they argued we have a great passing attack. I said they argued you need to have a great passing attack to open up the run game.
This Offense (with our Roster) is easily capable of 20-25 points per game if it’s functioning properly and running disciplined. I don’t believe they are synchronized at all. It’s like we’re in Week 1-3 as far as playing disciplined.
Congrats OS101 - Six new threads posted since I was here last, and all of their last posts are from you. And, ironically, this is was responding to Capt. :)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not that they argued we have a great passing attack. I said they argued that you need to have a great passing attack to open up the run game, which is kind of an unconventional spin on play action.

This Offense (with our Roster) is easily capable of 20-25 points per game if it’s functioning properly and running disciplined. I don’t believe they are synchronized at all. It’s like we’re in Week 1-3 as far as playing undisciplined.

Unfortunately it might be too late to turn it around. It’s way deep in the season to sputter Offensively and our Roster isn’t as bad as we’re making it look.
Correct. We should have started getting in sync Week 5. I know the offensive injuries compounded it. But discipline is something a coaching staff must instill.

D

Deleted member 6794

Teams don't need to have a great passing attack to open up the run but it's necessar to be able to make some plays down the field to not allow opponents to put extra defenders in the box.

This Offense (with our Roster) is easily capable of 20-25 points per game if it’s functioning properly and running disciplined.

I think at this point in the season it's unrealistic to suggest the offense is easily capable of scoring that many points as they have proven in 11 games they aren't.

Reaction score
I think at this point in the season it's unrealistic to suggest the offense is easily capable of scoring that many points as they have proven in 11 games they aren't.
We pretty much all knew the Offense would suffer some earlier in the season, I think we just didn't expect it to last this long.
As far as increasing points per game over our last 6 contests? It's not inconceivable at raising the bar at all, I mean we're at 18.5 per which is near poor ranking. I don't think it's a stretch as long as #12 is slinging the ball (broken finger or not).

These are the Defense scoring rankings of the teams we have played thus far. More than half of our games have been against top #9 or better Defenses. I also included the Defenses we are about to play. Expecting The Packers to remain stagnant (less than 1.5 point increase etc) or decline in points per game to finish the season is probably more of a stretch than a 1.5+ increase in points per.
Oddly enough, we put up our most points against the Cowboys and Patriots. That in itself is reassuring
Group A Defense scoring rank (past contests)
Cowboys #1
Bucs #4
Bills #5
Patriots #7
Titans #8
Jets #9
Commander #11
Giants #13
Vikes #20
Bears #27
Lions #31

Group B Defense scoring rank (upcoming contests)

Eagles #6
Rams #16
Vikings #20
Dolphins #21
Bears #27
Lions #31

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts