Hire Mike Zimmer for DC

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen this posted a few times and there are some articles out there around this.

Starting this thread now.

Personally, I am 50/50 on Barry. Campbell did turn from journey man to 1st team All Pro and Gary has really ascended with Barry as well - although the talent was always there with Gary.

Reaction score
It’s tough. Middle of the season changes rarely have an immediate effect and we pretty much need help yesterday.

Secondly, When asked Matt has already poopoo’d that notion and said “no bueno” on the idea of changing DC’s. Ain’t happening

jdizz81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry ascended with mike smith as lb coach there’s a reason he left went to the fkn queens because he fkn knew

D

Deleted member 6794

The Vikings defense finished 29th and 24th in points allowed during Zimmer's last two seasons as their head coach. Therefore I'm not convinced he would present an upgrade over Barry.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen this posted a few times and there are some articles out there around this.

Starting this thread now.

Personally, I am 50/50 on Barry. Campbell did turn from journey man to 1st team All Pro and Gary has really ascended with Barry as well - although the talent was always there with Gary.
I always admired Zimmer even when he coached against us.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings defense finished 29th and 24th in points allowed during Zimmer's last two seasons as their head coach. Therefore I'm not convinced he would present an upgrade over Barry.
That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good DC. Often coaches like him are better assistants and the head guy. If our D continues to play like this I hope there is a change to someone else in 2023. I don't see Matt making a change midseason either.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good DC. Often coaches like him are better assistants and the head guy. If our D continues to play like this I hope there is a change to someone else in 2023. I don't see Matt making a change midseason either.
I think Zimmer lost the team. And when a number of his top D departed from his early tenure he could not regain structure. With that said Zimmer as a D coach, not a H coach, can make a difference. Our Defense is not horrible. They are not great. They lack discipline. They certainly lack leadership. They get confused. They make one penalty. They gave up one big 3rd down. And suddenly they fall apart. With that said our D is playing on a team with an offense that is just as bad, just as sloppy, and just as undisciplined. They stopped a 4th and goal. They picked and brought it back and the offense did nothing. That is when the snowball starts to roll after the frustration. I believe Zimmer COULD help this team. He certainly can bring structure and discipline there. And maybe those 1 or 2 turnovers we need might happen and we win an ugly one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
15 points

This wasn’t defensive fault again

Worse def in the league and you get 9 points?

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zimmer might be a good hire as DC. That should be up to the new GM as soon as we get him. Which can't come soon enough for me.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t know that Zimmer is the answer but it should be abundantly clear by now that Barry isn’t.

So with that in mind he will probably be around for 4 more years until his defense gives up 68 points in a playoff game or something.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They gave up 15 points and 254 yards. The offense is a much bigger problem than the defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t know that Zimmer is the answer but it should be abundantly clear by now that Barry isn’t.

So with that in mind he will probably be around for 4 more years until his defense gives up 68 points in a playoff game or something.
15 points with losing the starters they did to a team that could put up points

This def today did a great job

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ok with the Defense's performance. My only concern is with it's inability to carry an underperforming 50 Million Dollar quarterback

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15 points with losing the starters they did to a team that could put up points

This def today did a great job
I hope you didn’t misinterpret my post to mean that today’s game should be the determining factor in whether Barry is the right man for the job or not.

This defense has radically underwhelmed and failed to live up to expectations for the great majority of this season.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense did well today because they played a bad team. Big deal.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you didn’t misinterpret my post to mean that today’s game should be the determining factor in whether Barry is the right man for the job or not.

This defense has radically underwhelmed and failed to live up to expectations for the great majority of this season.
There has been bad stretches and they have underwhelmed. But I think it’s more situational spots.

Top 15 in points allowed.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zimmer might be a good hire as DC. That should be up to the new GM as soon as we get him. Which can't come soon enough for me.

15 points

This wasn’t defensive fault again

Worse def in the league and you get 9 points?
What is crazy is we passed on 3 points (FG) early in the 1st and squandered 2 other chances in the red zone. We moved the ball on that D but couldn't finish the deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good DC. Often coaches like him are better assistants and the head guy.

That's true but if the Packers make a change at defensive coordinator I want them to hire someone significantly younger than Zimmer.

They gave up 15 points and 254 yards. The offense is a much bigger problem than the defense.

Don't get me wrong there's no doubt the offense is worse than the defense. You need to consider that the Lions were without their two top receivers in yards this season with Hockensen traded and Reynolds injured though.

And once again, with the game on the line and the offense finally having scored points they allowed a 70-yard TD drive to make it a two score game again.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's true but if the Packers make a change at defensive coordinator I want them to hire someone significantly younger than Zimmer.

Don't get me wrong there's no doubt the offense is worse than the defense. You need to consider that the Lions were without their two top receivers in yards this season with Hockensen traded and Reynolds injured though.

And once again, with the game on the line and the offense finally having scored points they allowed a 70-yard TD drive to make it a two score game again.
Yeah, that sword has two edges. Look at that drive. Multiple tackles by guys named Garvin, McDuffie, Wyatt, Wilson, Enagbare and Ford. Gary and Campbell were not playing. We weren't playing with a full deck all day either.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that sword has two edges. Look at that drive. Multiple tackles by guys named Garvin, McDuffie, Wyatt, Wilson, Enagbare and Ford. Gary and Campbell were not playing. We weren't playing with a full deck all day either.
No one got ejected yesterday. But look at the penalties on defense that killed us. They may be borderline calls but it is as if the defense feels it has to make a play because our offense can no longer win games.

Members online

Latest posts