High/Low vs. Consensus

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
High:
Tytus Howard - I think he's an easy day 2 guy. I'd take him at 44.

Travis Homer - I think he's a solid 3rd down back for quite a while

Devin Bush - LB1

Jonah Williams - He's been good for so long, people forgot. OT1

Clelin Ferrell - He does not fit what we are doing here, imo, but he's really good

Darnell Savage

Blake Cashman - LB3 in a lackluster class.

Riley Ridley

Low:
Mack Wilson

Wisconsin OL not named Dieter

Jaylon Ferguson

Noah Fant - I like him, but he has major warts imo. Average hands, not shifty on tape, just straight line speed, rarely made any contested catches. He reminds me a lot of Jared Cook. 2nd round player to me

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
High
G/T Cody Ford. I’ve been salivating over the chance at drafting Jawaan Taylor or Dillard since this process started but the more I look at tape the more Impressed I get. I hold him in the same regard as most people hold Jonah Williams and would consider him at #12. He’s been mocked anywhere from #17-the 2nd day so to me he’s a no brainer at #30 if he falls.

RB Josh Jacobs. Jacobs ran a pedestrian 4.6 at his pro day so there’s speculation that no RB will go in the first and could even drop him past #45. This man is a game changer and I don’t care what he ran. He’s never been a speed guy. He’s a power back with great vision that can wear you down and He has hands comparable to the best catching backs in the league. Most don’t share my opinion about Jacobs but he’s a great pick at #30 and would be an absolute steal at #45.

RB James Williams. This kid has been compared to James White. Had over 200 catches in 3 years. Third down back that excels as a pass catcher but also powerful enough to run between the tackles (12 TD’s at the goal-line.) He’s projected to go in the early 6th to late 7th. I wouldn’t hesitate to take him off the board in the 4th.

Low
D.K. Metcalf. Not worth the risk.

Rashan Gary. Should have dominated in college with his strength and agility but underwhelmed. Not top 10 for me.

Any safety not named Rapp!

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Low:
  • D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi: The talent is outstanding, but I am leery of these receivers who ran super limited route trees on only one side of the field.
  • N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State: Harry doesn't separate. People like to compare this type of player to Dez Bryant. That's not impossible, but more often they're Laquon Treadwell.
  • Johnathan Abram, S, Miss. State: Abram hits really hard. That's basically it. He's average in coverage, and his consistency defending the run is hit and miss given that he goes for the kill shot so often.
  • Brian Burns, ED, Florida State: Burns has freaky movement skills, but on tape he is rail thin and a liability against the run. I've see this type of prospect bust far too often to sign up in the top 20 (Dion Jordan, Aaron Maybin, Leonard Floyd, etc).
  • Rashan Gary, ED, Michigan: I really liked Gary on tape, but he's raw and would need to take to coaching to unlock his talent. What I've heard about his attitude make me believe he won't be very coachable.
Borderline- Josh Allen, ED, UK: I'm not *low* on Allen-- I definitely think he's a top 16 pick and would welcome him to the Packers. However, I do think that a team that lines him up and asks him to just rush tackles straight up down in and down out will be disappointed.

Just saw that Kiper and Mcshay both mocked D.K. to us at #12. Mcshay had Oliver, Sweat, and Burns still on the board.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
High
  • Rodney Anderson, RB, OKLA: People have him going late rounds. Concerns about injury history. I think he's the best all-around RB coming out of this draft, dangerous run game. *see Dantes' other threat for more.
  • David Montgomery, RB, IOWA STATE: One of the best pass catching RB out of this draft with a serious run game.
  • Dru Samia, OL, OKLA: Dude just looks pissed off all the time. Mauler. Strong punch, and takes out defenders to next level. Positioned to play guard. Looks the part of a packers o-line playing in frozen tundra.
  • Kyle Chung, OL, V-TECH: Came into college as a Tight End, transition into OL. Played all T, G, and Center. Fantastic pro day, putting up 31 reps on the bench, displayed quick feet- solidifying a late-round pick. Son of Eugene Chung, OL coach for Philly. Will be a Technician at the next level. Can start guard and or be a replacement for Corey Linsey if packers do not resign Linsey. Packers were at the VTech pro day.
  • The Devins (LB): Y'all already know.. When I see White playing, it reminds me so much of Ryan Shazier. Passion, speed, strength, awareness. Just needs work on tackling, can tackle a little high (like Shazier) but I will still take him. Bush, Jr compares to Bobby Wagner (very similar pre-draft measurables) and plays to his speed. It's your choice between wanting the next Shazier or Wagner.
  • Ed Oliver, DL, HOU: Sick first step... Watch his tape... Always double teamed and still gets his way. Some people say next John Randle (modern comparison or the 'smaller' DL is always Aaron Donald) thats too rich for my blood. John Randle is one of a kind, undrafted and all. I'd say Ed Oliver could be next Warren Sapp but more twitch, less strength. Sad to see DL so devalued that Oliver could fall into 12. TAKE HIM.
  • Andy Isabella, WR, UMass: White, Black, Latino. Whatever the kid is, he's no Edelman. He's faster than Edelman and majority of WRs, top echelon in terms of speed. Crips route running. If anything, Isabella will need to work on catching the ball and securing it. Get the ball in this kids hand.
Low
  • Kaleb McGary, OL, WASH: I don't see what others are seeing. Doesn't have quick feet, not that strong. Decent run block. Has heart condition. Big body, sure- what else?
  • DK Metcalf, WR, OLE MISS: Next Kevin White (Same Measurements, Similar testing). Has worst college stats than Kevin White. Fell for Kevin White.. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. NEXT!
  • Kyler Murray, QB, OKLA: If you're into a run first QB go for Murray.. but he won't be doing that Sh*t in the pros (benefited from an awesome OLine in Oklahoma).
  • Hockenson + Fant @ 12, 30. TE, IOWA: Not a fan of taking a TE so high in the draft. Top TEs (Kittle, Ertz, Heck even Graham + more) currently were taken past the first round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can go thru any position, any draft and find guys that turned out to be great, as well as the opposite. Lots of first rounders do squat, lots of top picks don't last 10 years and barely hit average if at all. There are OT's picked in the 4th that are all pro's. there are 7th Rounders that last a decade and solidify the line and go almost entire seasons without committing penalties while doing it. Because we got Tauscher in the 7th doesn't mean we wait. and just because some TE's were taken in round 2 or 3 doesn't mean you just pass on them either. If they think they're the best guy on the board, if you think you have an all pro sitting in front of you, take him. Especially one that can be so helpful in both the run, pass pro, and pass catching game.

Not that I think we need to take a TE with our first pick, but if they have one rated as a future all start against a solid Linebacker, I'm taking the future all star at TE.

TXPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
High(er than other members here) -

DK Metcalf, let him do what he does well, don't try to mold him into Antonio Brown and he's all-pro
Edit to add he's far more explosive than Kevin White coming out (4 inches more on vertical, 11 more on broad jump, 13 lbs heavier). His comp is closer to Calvin Johnson

Low -

Fant, specifically to GB - Lafleur has had complete TEs as a coach (Vernon Davis/Delanie Walker) or guys that blocked well but weren't talented pass catchers. Why people insist he'd take a quasi-WR and not a guy that'll smack you in the mouth is beyond me.

Rashan Gary (in general and to GB) - kind of an awkward skinny-fat build in relation to typical top 10 edge types, athleticism doesn't show on the field, he's never truly dominated. Just consistent hype ever since he was a 5* recruit.

Bosa at #2 - just a hunch but I think he's physically peaked and while he has great technique, on the field he's not blowing by people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
High(er than other members here) -

DK Metcalf, let him do what he does well, don't try to mold him into Antonio Brown and he's all-pro

Low -

Fant, specifically to GB - Lafleur has had complete TEs as a coach (Vernon Davis/Delanie Walker) or guys that blocked well but weren't talented pass catchers. Why people insist he'd take a quasi-WR and not a guy that'll smack you in the mouth is beyond me.

Rashan Gary (in general and to GB) - kind of an awkward skinny-fat build in relation to typical top 10 edge types, athleticism doesn't show on the field, he's never truly dominated. Just consistent hype ever since he was a 5* recruit.

Bosa at #2 - just a hunch but I think he's physically peaked and while he has great technique, on the field he's not blowing by people.

I would argue that if you just let Metcalf do what he's does, he a WR2/3 role player. That's what he was at Ole Miss.

TXPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would argue that if you just let Metcalf do what he's does, he a WR2/3 role player. That's what he was at Ole Miss.
It's a fair criticism and I totally agree it's a boom or bust pick, but I think his stats are more of an indictment of Ole Miss' offense and QB. I watched DK in 3 games (youtube has vids edited to just his snaps) just to see how he was used, and the overwhelming majority of his routes were some variation of a curl/hitch and some variation of a go or stutter go...I'd wager over 90% of his routes fell in those two categories. DB's got used to just bailing initially then driving on curls; they didn't have to worry about anything else. Anytime he ran the rare slant, he'd break wide open vs man or find the open window vs zone but never get the ball. He'll be unstoppable on any in-breaking route. Same with quick screens vs off coverage, he was good at getting YAC but rarely got called to do it. If the Packers do finally commit to a run game, it'd be difficult to contain the run while single covering DK and/or Adams.

The screenshot below is from Calvin Johnson's last year (88 rec over 1200 yds), and the green is all DK needs. He'd be elite at each of those imo, although I'd throw him more screens. Calvin was 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier, otherwise they're near mirror images test-wise:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rogers would make him a star.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I recognize that the Rebels' offense limited Metcalf's usage, but I also think his skill contributed to that. He's big and fast, but also stiff. I don't think he's every going to be the type of guy to generate much separation with his route breaks.

Reaction score
DK was also a redshirt Sophmore that’s on the rise being compared to a Senior that was on a late season decline.
He might start as a 2/3 role but he’s going to give a Defenses fits by year 2. Metcalf’s ability to separate from full press is one example that was listed as a deficiency with Kevin. Kevin also got into a system that had changed at QB.
Once Metcalf gets the concentration drops to a minimum he’s going to be a 1000+ guy. That’s with Aaron of course, put him with Jay Cutler and he’ll be a #4

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
DK was also a redshirt Sophmore that’s on the rise being compared to a Senior that was on a late season decline.
He might start as a 2/3 role but he’s going to give a Defenses fits by year 2. Metcalf’s ability to separate from full press is one example that was listed as a deficiency with Kevin. Once he gets the concentration drops to a minimum he’s going to be a 1000+ guy.

There's a perception that these uber talented players from really simplistic college offenses will "only get better" once they enter the league, but that's often not the case. Oftentimes they stay roughly the same. I'm not sold that Metcalf has the skillset to run more than a very simplistic route tree.

TXPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recognize that the Rebels' offense limited Metcalf's usage, but I also think his skill contributed to that. He's big and fast, but also stiff. I don't think he's every going to be the type of guy to generate much separation with his route breaks.
With the "Calvin Johnson route tree" it's all about his freakish speed/size/strength combo, his stiffness wouldn't be a factor. If he didn't have all 3 of those attributes it'd be a problem. Literally ask him to do those 4 routes (5 with screens) and groom him into more down the road, but even as a rookie doing those 4-5 things, he'd instantly elevate the offense. He'd be on highlight shows every week the way Rodgers hits deep passes and slants.

Reaction score
There's a perception that these uber talented players from really simplistic college offenses will "only get better" once they enter the league, but that's often not the case. Oftentimes they stay roughly the same. I'm not sold that Metcalf has the skillset to run more than a very simplistic route tree.
Well that’s the thing. If the team that drafts him uses him properly he’s easily talented enough to be #2 behind Adams (hint). That’s not a slight on him, Adams is a pretty polished WR. Having a true #2 crossed with deep threat and the ability to muscle through aggressive CBs to get separation is precisely what we’ve been lacking for several years. He’s not s guy you want to be challenging on the deep jump ball, there’s only a handful of CBs talented enough to win that battle with regularity. With the right QB and tutelage Metcalf has a high ceiling. There’s always a possibility he could flop but you could almost say that about any WR in this class.
All that said I see him in the teens, but I’m not appalled if Gute n Co think he’s legit. I’d feel better getting him in that 15-20 range tho with a bonus day 2 pick, but we both know what that entails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well that’s the thing. If the team that drafts him uses him properly he’s easily talented enough to be #2 behind Adams (hint). That’s not a slight on him, Adams is a pretty polished WR. Having a true #2 crossed with deep threat and the ability to muscle through aggressive CBs to get separation is precisely what we’ve been lacking for several years. He’s not s guy you want to be challenging on the deep jump ball, there’s only a handful of CBs talented enough to win that battle with regularity. With the right QB and tutelage Metcalf has a high ceiling. There’s always a possibility he could flop but you could almost say that about any WR in this class.
All that said I see him in the teens, but I’m not appalled if Gute n Co think he’s legit. I’d feel better getting him in that 15-20 range tho with a bonus day 2 pick, but we both know what that entails.

I agree that he could have a role as a #2 across from Adams, but I'd be pissed if they spent the 12th pick on a WR2.

MVS, while not quite as big or athletic, is the same style of receiver. I don't see the upgrade from him to Metcalf as being worth close to the 12th pick in the draft.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With the "Calvin Johnson route tree" it's all about his freakish speed/size/strength combo, his stiffness wouldn't be a factor. If he didn't have all 3 of those attributes it'd be a problem. Literally ask him to do those 4 routes (5 with screens) and groom him into more down the road, but even as a rookie doing those 4-5 things, he'd instantly elevate the offense. He'd be on highlight shows every week the way Rodgers hits deep passes and slants.

There's definitely a better path to success for him if you limit what you ask him to do, but I don't think you can just ask him to do what Calvin did and expect success. Calvin's greatness stemmed from being a stellar technician in addition to his freakish athleticism.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like Noah Fant. He's a *good* TE prospect, but his athleticism doesn't play on field in as many ways as you'd think. He's definitely a deep threat, but he isn't creative after the catch.

I will say, however, that while he isn't nearly as strong a blocker as Hockenson, he isn't bad.

H

HardRightEdge

I like Noah Fant. He's a *good* TE prospect, but his athleticism doesn't play on field in as many ways as you'd think. He's definitely a deep threat, but he isn't creative after the catch.

I will say, however, that while he isn't nearly as strong a blocker as Hockenson, he isn't bad.
I went back and looked at Fant's highlight tapes again to pinpoint what bothered me in the initial eye test. I wouldn't get into it again if he didn't show up on the interview list and some mocks.

There are several cases where he chops steps getting off the line and into his break or wanders through his route on crosses and seams. It's like he doesn't know where he's going until he gets there, feeling for separation instead of creating it. His deep routes and out breaks look cleaner but not exactly crisp. With these tendencies you have to wonder if has begun to learn to read a defense or where a press or chip will just take him into a path the QB does not expect and out of the play.

He's a willing blocker and does a good job against a static target like a guy holding his point on the backside. Like Graham, he's not so good trying to hit a moving target. That doesn't translate to zone blocking.

I contend he's an oversized WR where his routes look better in space. But either way, in-line or outside, he's a project which does not spell round 1, more athlete than football player.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only people that are actually high on him are Wisconsin homers, but David Edwards.

He's not good. He makes Jason Spriggs look like Bakthiari.

The ONLY reason people think he's good is because he's tall, and he plays for Wisconsin. Max Scharping is a much better player.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Metcalf has the DEEP SPEED and can seperate downfield. I like him in the Packer Offense opposite Adam's. You really only need him to run 3 or 4 routes to be effective with a guy like Adam's on the other side.

I would rather draft Metcalf then Brown because we already have Adam's. We need someone who can take the top off the defense that is explosive and Metcalf would be the REAL THING. I just don't know if I like him at 12.

Once again I would rather roll the POOR MAN'S VERSION with MVS and get a dynamic and explosive slot. I really believe if we can win in the middle it will open much more up on the outside. STRESS the defense from the MIDDLE and things become wide open outside. If you can't stress the middle of the defense it make it much easier for teams to sit on your outside guys. This team has lacked dynamic speed in the middle for YEARS relying on Rodgers to throw balls in PASSING WINDOWS that have 0.0 margin for error. We need to help him out.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I’m busy pimping on these guys who some don’t think as highly of as I do.

Christian Wilkins. I think his physical talent would be enough. But add in all the intangibles and he’s a slam dunk for me at 12.

Kahale Warring. I know he’s not under the radar any more. I would pick him over Irv Smith. Honestly.

John Cominsky. Big strong 5T DE who was recruited as an option QB. A project worth undertaking, IMO.

Germaine Pratt. I agree with Brandon on him (gasp)

Karan Higdon. I just like his name.

NOT a fan of the following young dudes.

EDGE Brian Burns and Jachai Polite.
TE Irv Smith
OT Jawaan Taylor and Kaleb McGary
WR DJ Metcalf
DE Rashan Gary

There’s probably more but I can’t think of any more right now.

I wouldnt touch Burns and Polite either even if they dropped.

Wilkins doesn't get the credit he deserves which is surprising to me. The guy is a DISRUPTER and showed up BIG in all the BIG GAMES. He Is bigger and more athletic then smaller Daniels. Upgrade over Wilkerson while M. Adam's is looking like a TUG BOAT BUST.

YES! "THE PRATT ATTACK". Germaine is gonna make some GM look very smart.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Metcalf has the DEEP SPEED and can seperate downfield. I like him in the Packer Offense opposite Adam's. You really only need him to run 3 or 4 routes to be effective with a guy like Adam's on the other side.

I would rather draft Metcalf then Brown because we already have Adam's. We need someone who can take the top off the defense that is explosive and Metcalf would be the REAL THING. I just don't know if I like him at 12.

Once again I would rather roll the POOR MAN'S VERSION with MVS and get a dynamic and explosive slot. I really believe if we can win in the middle it will open much more up on the outside. STRESS the defense from the MIDDLE and things become wide open outside. If you can't stress the middle of the defense it make it much easier for teams to sit on your outside guys. This team has lacked dynamic speed in the middle for YEARS relying on Rodgers to throw balls in PASSING WINDOWS that have 0.0 margin for error. We need to help him out.

When the Packers had their best offenses, they had somebody (Jordy) who could take the top off. That, was exactly what ran our offense. It was what allowed us to be beat Cover 1 defenses. That opens up the offense far more than a good slot, as we saw how even with Cobb in his prime, losing Jordy drastically changed our offense.

Members online

Latest posts